Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Radiator fan timer / controller electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Radiator fan timer / controller electric problem

Hi all!

I read through the Accord 1990-2002 forum, but haven't found any topic on my problem. It is very simple, but it is disturbing me much because i care for my Accord (especially because the engine is over 200.000km already). My radiator cooling works fine, switches on and off at the right point. My problem is, that if i turn off the ignition and/or remove the key, the radiator fans do not spin anymore (even if the radiator temperature is high enough for them to "engage"). My buddy has a good old 1994 Accord Aerodeck and his car radiator fans stay on till the temperature is in the fine range (even after he shut off engine and even if the car alarm system is already active with everything closed), while mine only works with the ignition on. I don't even know if this is factory meant to work like this or this is an error i should investigate. I am not comfortable with leaving my engine uncooled in the range over 93 Celsius water temps.

Is there a way to rewire/mod the eletronic in my car for the radiator fans to cool after i shut off the engine and maybe build a little circuit to protect the fans draining the car battery ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan timer / controller electric problem

there are two switches for the fan for accords at least up to 97 so I'm pretty sure you probably have two as well, but I'm not that familiar with the F20B but it should be similar. One is a switch "On" for temps 199*F(93*C) and the other is 223*F(106*C). There is also a radiator fan control module under the dash that you could check as well. I have the chart for diagnosing it if you need it and you think it may be the culprit. Basically the trouble shooting for the switches is to make sure that at the "On" temps that one side has 12V with the ignition on and the other has a body ground if it does then you have a bad switch (but generally this is if your fans don't work at all).
Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Trial User

So you say this is not normal operation for the fans to shut off when ignition is off ? Because in my simple logic, if my fans operate good with ignition turned on, i would just have to hardwire the system to the car battery so it is not dependent of the ignition switch position ?

Any info on where to look for the fan control module, also pics on how it should look like would be very helpful. Because as far as i checked the water temp sensor works, also if i jump the sensor connectors the fans come on, also when A/C is switched on the fans go on too, but everything stops after i move the key to off position (no ignition).

Could it be that the control module has been simply removed and the fans just go on and off because the water temp sensor is switching them ?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I doubt it, my 96 has never kept the fans on after I've driven it. Even across the country through places like arizona with the a/c on they never stayed on after it turned off. Although my friends 93 does it almost every time.

http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2009...wiring-diagram
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Trial User

Thanks, i will try to find the controller box and check it.

If someone has a similar Accord or has a picture of the Fan Controller box that i should have in my car, please link a picture of it. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Trial User

I have a 1995 Honda Accord that where the AC only works when the engine is hot enough to close the temperature switch that is closest to the fire wall. (switch A?) This switch is the one that has a green and black wires on it.

Regardless, I can take the connector off of the switch and jumper the connection on this switch and the AC works. That is the compressor clutch engages, the condenser fan turns on, the radiator fan turns on and the air gets cool in the cabin.

Does anyone have a way to diagnose the Radiator Fan Control Module?
I believe this is the module that is behind the glove box in the cabin.

I have a Chilton's manual for the wiring schematic and that switch is the only thing that is in common to the three items that don't function normally until I jumper the connector to that one switch.

I have no idea how this circuit is supposed to function.

If anyone can help I thank you now in advance,
Mike
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

logic of timing unit to ecu would be helpful; {keyboard 50%}