Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Questions, Questions, Questions...

Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions, Questions, Questions...

Here's the situation and the God honest truth.

First off my car is a 1995 Honda Accord Ex, Sedan, 5-speed, F22B1, With 235k miles on it.
I payed $600 bucks for it, I had to buy used shift cables from eBay cause Honda wanted $340 for them brand new. The car didn't come with a battery, and needed a lot of general maintenance (and yes I knew it would need a little bit of work).

So after spending a lot of time cleaning the inside of the car, changing the shift cables, buying a battery and doing new filters, and oil change, spark plugs....

The car sat for about a year before I bought it and towed it into my work shop.
I did all the maintenance and on the first try this baby started right up and ran like a champion, and still does.

Since then I've had other problems, hoses breaking, idle problem, hole in top of radiator, etc.

So here is the gist of what I have now (and I will post pictures later).
I just ordered a new radiator, NGK spark plug wires, Distributor cap and seal (cracked cap messed up seal), Rack and Pin boots (they are both busted).

Not to long ago I replaced the front brake pads, Front Discs (PAIN IN THE FACE), and new CV axles (PAIN IN THE FACE).

The Fuel Filter which is hard to get in the first place I stripped out cause it was so freaking tight, so.... I cut the fuel line unhooked it from the top and yanked it out and got that taken care of (I used a rubber piece that fit exactly on the fuel line and screw tied it back together).

The idle problem consisted of the cruise control line not wanting to go all the way back, it would hit the spring. So I bent the spring back and now the car idles 1500 at start up, and 400-500 (Its below avg I know).

The car also needed a new clutch slave cylinder, cause the pedal would go all the way down to the floor.

New Parts (all parts under 5k miles)
-Radiator
-2 hoses, Top hose from radiator, and a heater hose that runs from the engine.
-CV axles
-Front discs and breaks
-Clutch Slave Cylinder
-Fuel filter
-Spark plugs ( NGK always )
-Spark plug wires ( NGK always )
-Distributor Cap + seal
-Used shift cables
-Rack and Pin boots
+ I cleaned the TB...

Now for the Questions I Have...
1.) What else should I do to the engine, as far as general maintanence of replacing certain things ( treat this car as if its got 235k miles and nothing has ever been replaced), Things I should clean, I mean everything that I can do to make this car run like it needs to.

2.) The Air intake resonator system in the car I want to get rid of, I need to know what I can take out from under the hood to make room for the future?

3.) Can I get rid of the ABS system, how much will it cost me and what do I gotta do?

4.) I wanna take out the cruise control, half of the time it doesn't work and I don't care why because I feel safer with my foot on the pedal anyways), What steps do I need to take and how do I do it.

5.) referring to questions 2,3,4 doing any of them will I have a constant CEL light on?

6.) After all is well, What upgrades Can I do to make the car quicker, more efficient, gain a little Hp without killing my wallet, my goal is to make a nice little car that sounds good, runs good, and has maybe 160-180 Hp?

7.) Anyone know of a website where I can buy ORIGINAL Honda parts for my car that are BRAND NEW ( interior, Exterior, decals, spoiler, etc.)

I know the Engine is old, and I know the F22b1 isn't all that powerful cause the car is so heavy. I don't need criticism, I don't want a swap...yet. Don't tell me to save my money for something in the future, The future isn't here yet I'll deal with it later...I love my car, I love the engine (F22b1), and there's nothing that car change that... Except for my wife... shh.

Thank you for viewing reading and for ( INTELLIGENT ) comments and answers.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions, Questions, Questions...

This is the Air Intake Resonator thing I mentioned above.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Has the timing belt, balancer belt, water pump, etc. been changed? Also, you never mentioned if the transmission fluid has been changed or not...
7. I use Majestic Honda for OEM parts.

P.S. I have the exact same car as you in black! I love mine also.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First, I want to say great job at getting the accord up and running, it shows that you're very dedicated to the car. I'm excited to see the end result.
I suggest you do a compression test and then get an engine oil sample kit to send off for analysis. Spending $50 bucks for the kit and results could save you thousands of dollars and huge disappointments down the road. http://www.oaitesting.com/index.htm

If your engine shows normal wear for 235,000+ miles, personally, I'd do the timing belt related maintenance, then consider doing performance mods.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djkurious
1. Has the timing belt, balancer belt, water pump, etc. been changed? Also, you never mentioned if the transmission fluid has been changed or not...
7. I use Majestic Honda for OEM parts.

P.S. I have the exact same car as you in black! I love mine also.

These will be the next things I look into, If I do a transmission flush I'll take it to Honda. They Flush it then drive it 10 miles, then flush it again and drive it 10 miles, then flush it a final time and drive it 10 miles. That should be a good start for the transmission.

I also forgot to mention my car has been dropped, Idk what spring are on it but I will try to figure it out and post it.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theBird
First, I want to say great job at getting the accord up and running, it shows that you're very dedicated to the car. I'm excited to see the end result.
I suggest you do a compression test and then get an engine oil sample kit to send off for analysis. Spending $50 bucks for the kit and results could save you thousands of dollars and huge disappointments down the road. http://www.oaitesting.com/index.htm

If your engine shows normal wear for 235,000+ miles, personally, I'd do the timing belt related maintenance, then consider doing performance mods.
Thank you ! I'll do a compression test asap. As for the Engine oil sample kit I've never heard of that, so how do I do a sample kit thing, Where do I get one?

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Enixero

These will be the next things I look into, If I do a transmission flush I'll take it to Honda. They Flush it then drive it 10 miles, then flush it again and drive it 10 miles, then flush it a final time and drive it 10 miles. That should be a good start for the transmission.

I also forgot to mention my car has been dropped, Idk what spring are on it but I will try to figure it out and post it.
On that transmission flush, our cars just need a drain and refill, no flush.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djkurious
On that transmission flush, our cars just need a drain and refill, no flush.

I called up Honda a while back and Honda's have a permanent filter type of thing, The process I stated above is what they told me they do when you go to get a service for the transmission.
But seeing as it might be in my best interest money wise I think I'm just going to drain the mess out of it and then refill it.

As for a side note, Honda's LOVE there own transmission fluid don't buy anything other than what the car originally had... Figured that out a while back when I had my 97 SE coupe Auto.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:32 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

2.) The Air intake resonator system in the car I want to get rid of, I need to know what I can take out from under the hood to make room for the future?

3.) Can I get rid of the ABS system, how much will it cost me and what do I gotta do?

4.) I wanna take out the cruise control, half of the time it doesn't work and I don't care why because I feel safer with my foot on the pedal anyways), What steps do I need to take and how do I do it.

5.) referring to questions 2,3,4 doing any of them will I have a constant CEL light on?

6.) After all is well, What upgrades Can I do to make the car quicker, more efficient, gain a little Hp without killing my wallet, my goal is to make a nice little car that sounds good, runs good, and has maybe 160-180 Hp?
Removing items number 2, 3, 4 won't set your CEL on. The ABS light will be on I presume just remove the bulb in the dash.

Cruise control is self explanatory to remove consult your manual (which you have) for in depth details on removal.

I have the same car and I would LOVE to put 180WHP, to do that you'll need to make the engine breathe better, start with a CAI, cat-back exhaust, header and add in an s300 unit from hondata and take yourself to the tuning shop.

I doubt you'll get more then 145whp with all the mods mentioned above. There was a thread last week on here where a guy made 135wph with bisi cams and other light mods. I do remember he didn't have a cat-back and he posted he was looking to purchase one and get re tuned.

180whp is hard to achieve but possible with much research and dedication. I think you're better off doing a swap, then get your h22 or f20b returned with better results then the f22b1. Unless you want to boost and it does get pricey or you can cheap out and buy stuff from eBay.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you ! I'll do a compression test asap. As for the Engine oil sample kit I've never heard of that, so how do I do a sample kit thing, Where do I get one?

Thank you for your input.
You can buy the hand pumps and accessories to draw out the oil from your dipstick tube, fill out the form and send it in. They make it really easy to do. Just look over the info at the link I posted. Yeah, the topic of oil analysis is not talked about often outside of engine oil forums like bobistheoilguy.com, which also has an extraordinary "Motor Oil 101" write up on the front page...highly recommended read. Best on the guide net, imo. You'll see why I run 0w20 or 30 in everything that isn't on the track.

I used to run and maintain GM EMD diesel generators and we sent the oil samples to the lab every month (or maybe it was bi-monthly). Knowing the condition of the internals is a must, and to do a complete, very expensive overhaul on this type of equipment unexpectedly just can't happen. Knowing drain intervals is another reason to test oil. It's really all about cutting unnecessary costs and piece of mind.

I agree with kidkool1977 about your options with getting more power.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang on- You have a 5 speed trans. Still need to change the fluid but the 5 speeds are a little different than the auto's......
Old 03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kidcool1977
Removing items number 2, 3, 4 won't set your CEL on. The ABS light will be on I presume just remove the bulb in the dash.

Cruise control is self explanatory to remove consult your manual (which you have) for in depth details on removal.

I have the same car and I would LOVE to put 180WHP, to do that you'll need to make the engine breathe better, start with a CAI, cat-back exhaust, header and add in an s300 unit from hondata and take yourself to the tuning shop.

I doubt you'll get more then 145whp with all the mods mentioned above. There was a thread last week on here where a guy made 135wph with bisi cams and other light mods. I do remember he didn't have a cat-back and he posted he was looking to purchase one and get re tuned.

180whp is hard to achieve but possible with much research and dedication. I think you're better off doing a swap, then get your h22 or f20b returned with better results then the f22b1. Unless you want to boost and it does get pricey or you can cheap out and buy stuff from eBay.

As far as headers, I did a lot of research on F22B1 headers and different ones to put on, Its not worth the 100-300 bucks for one, the F22B1 headers are made amazingly well, I'm just gonna wrap um then coat um with some black VHT from Advanced Auto.

As for a Hondata, its not really worth it unless you get bigger injectors do a little internal work and stuff, There not much you can tune. So I've Read.

As for boost I'll never go boost...A personal matter...

The only way I'm ever gonna swap is when this engine completely dies, only then will I start for a swap.

Thank you for you input.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Hang on- You have a 5 speed trans. Still need to change the fluid but the 5 speeds are a little different than the auto's......
I got the book! I am INVINCIBLE! Lol j/k...

I'll figure it out.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best advice for the 5 speed tranny.

You will not be able to fill the fluid from the underside of the car. It is impossible without wasting a lot of tranny oil.
Get some brake bleeder line and attach it to your funnel. Have one guy under the car, feed the end of the hose into the fill port and have the other guy add the fluid to the funnel/hose combo.

Basically, you are making a beer bong for your transmission to guzzle the sweet sulfurous nectar of lubrication.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I may not have a solution to your issue. I chose to not read your posts because the font color is uncomfortable to look at while trying to read.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as headers, I did a lot of research on F22B1 headers and different ones to put on, Its not worth the 100-300 bucks for one, the F22B1 headers are made amazingly well, I'm just gonna wrap um then coat um with some black VHT from Advanced Auto.
if i remember this is a no-no since the oem manifolds arnt made like aftermarket headers and are way more prone to crack if you wrap or coat them
Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the money you spend on parts and etc fixing it up, might as well do a h22 swap or jdm f22 or something
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

As for a Hondata, its not really worth it unless you get bigger injectors do a little internal work and stuff, There not much you can tune. So I've Read.

As for boost I'll never go boost...A personal matter...

The only way I'm ever gonna swap is when this engine completely dies, only then will I start for a swap.

Thank you for you input.
lol, so how do plan on getting your 160-180hp?

since you read up what was the point of reiterating a question you had answers to.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
I may not have a solution to your issue. I chose to not read your posts because the font color is uncomfortable to look at while trying to read.
I'm not here for you comfort...enough said.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kidcool1977
lol, so how do plan on getting your 160-180hp?

since you read up what was the point of reiterating a question you had answers to.
Reading up is one thing, Making sure what you read is truth is crucial. Therefore I ask questions.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wolfy47
if i remember this is a no-no since the oem manifolds arnt made like aftermarket headers and are way more prone to crack if you wrap or coat them
You do have a point, one that I have not come across. Thank you for this info, I'll extend the research a little further.

Last edited by Enixero; 03-06-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Color, Grammar
Old 03-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As for now, I have a life and I still am in the process of making money to fixing this car up.

As for the achieving 170-180 whp, that is a long term goal. The point of this thread is for me to follow up on the things I've read online and to see what others have to say about everything.

This is a project that I don't have much time to work on in the first place, but it will get done.

People keep saying switch to a H22 or save your money. I'm working first thing first to make this car dependable, Input from other things is for my personal knowledge.

1.) I don't have a lot of money, I make like 1500-2000 a month, I got a wife and things to take care of.
2.) I am very dedicated to church, I wont miss it, I go 3 times a week.

I thank everyone who gives (Positive) input to better help me understand my car and how to take care of it and also how to modify it when I am capable.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow my eyes hurt