Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Pulling Everything from engine bay--time estimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Icon5 Pulling Everything from engine bay--time estimate

This is just planning for a future project, and just hoping to gather advice and learn from the experiences of others in the meantime...particularly from anyone who has cleared out the engine bay for painting and/or parts replacement.

1) How much time should one set aside for clearing the engine bay? If you have done this, how long did it take? Did you have help?

2) What special tools did you need? Engine lift would be one that I do not currently have. I have a floor jack and a pretty decent variety of general purpose tools, so I'm really just thinking of specialty and particularly more expensive tools that I might have to set aside money for.

3) What precautions must be taken? (Such as making sure to do X before pulling engine out, or other things that might be overlooked.)

4) Is there anything that you would absolutely replace (if it hasn't been done in the 2-3 years) even if your vehicle doesn't show problems?

I have a service manual and have the Haynes. I do watch videos, but like to hear directly from experiences, too.

Thank you!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Pulling Everything from engine bay--time estimate

1.) That entirely depends on how much cleaning you want to do and how you want to do it. From a quick power wash to scrubbing every crevice with a toothbrush. The results and time required will vary. I usually soak the entire empty engine bay in a degreaser and let it sit for a bit, then hit it with the power washer. Any trouble spots I'll scrub a bit more. After that I'll wash it by hand with some car wash.

2.)Depends on what vehicle you're talking about here. You can take pretty much any older Honda apart with an assortment of 10,12,14,17,19,and 21mm wrenches/sockets for the most part. Air or electric tools will help. For these Accords the axle nut is a 36mm so you will need one of those. Ball joint separator or some other means to get the lower ball joints loose will be required to get the axles out.

3.) Just take your time and pay attention to detail. Use your brain.

4.)In a 94-97 Accord I would definitely do the fuel filter when the engine is out. They are a huge PITA to do with the engine in the car. Timing belt/waterpump is also significantly easier with the engine out. Clutch and related bearings on an M/T car.

For a general time estimate, nobody is gonna be able to give you that. I can pull an engine from most older Hondas in 3-4 hours but I have all the tools, equipment and ability to do so. Your results will vary depending on what you have on hand, how much help you have, and whatever gives you trouble. Sometimes you can get stuck on a single bolt for an hour.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine is a 1995 Accord with automatic transmission and ABS.

Thank you, Aradin--what you wrote is exactly what I am looking for, and I appreciate your thoroughness. Hints like what you mentioned about the fuel filter are especially helpful. It's always when you're 2/3 of the way into something that some major hangup occurs, which is why I'm asking. I completely collapsed that fuel filter trying to remove it in order to remove the fuel line.

I wasn't really looking for some to estimate the time it would take me--I'm hoping with a variety of replies to get a range of what's reasonably possible.

If anyone else wants to add to it, I'd appreciate it. Like I said, I'd like to do *something* next year, probably spring, and ideally, I'd like to be able to complete work within a 2 week time frame. I don't know what I'll be doing, but will at least replace or repaint (not sure) the subframe, and whatever I feel like doing.

FTR, this week I cleaned and repainted the valve cover and manifold shroud after struggling for a couple of days with old baked on seals, will be replacing spark plug wires, spark plugs, the seals in the valve cover, seals under the rocker arms, seals in the power steering unit, am looking for a decent used ABS module with accumulator (or might end up ordered a new accumulator and o-ring); will replace seals in the VTEC solenoid, replace PCV valve, will do touch up painting in some spots.... just ordered an oil pan gasket (don't look forward to doing that on car, but I will likely have to)....... and after all this, I will put in the fuel and brake lines, hoses, etc, gas tank, filler hose. I replaced front wheel bearings, rotors, ball joints, and other front suspension parts a few years ago, and probably will do rotor over hub. It's reaching the point where I want to preserve the work and money I've put in and go to the next level.

I never planned on a restoration, but it's looking like that's what it's become.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

you can go to places like Pull-a-Part to practice/time yourself. only costs $2/person/visit (if you're not a member) you get to try it out with your tools and your skills and if you screw up... you can just leave.

I can imaging two scenarios on either end of the f**ks-given scale.

1. no regard for anything but getting a bare uni-body/shell stripped as a basis for a full build up: Pro/experienced enthusiast- 1-4 hours, uninitiated noob- 1-2 weekends. (2-4 days worth of free time)
2. museum/show quality "numbers-matching" restoration: Pro- 10-24 hours, noobs- need not apply.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, Hondamark35. I didn't know that "pull-a-part" was an actual place. I found there's one about 1 1/2 hours from me, and I might just have to check that out.

My car isn't for show, but I'd like to preserve it and generally feel good about my work. I know also if things are clean, it's easier to locate trouble spots. I'd be OK with grounding my car for 2 weeks. But every time I start a job, I find other things I want to take care of, then I have to order parts and wait for those to arrive. What is most likely to get screwed up by noobs? I'm not wreckless, and refer at length to manuals, videos and advice. I wouldn't have considered this type of job in the past, but probably am reaching the point where I see more as possible, hopefully not so overconfident as to do something outrageously stupid, but you never know!