Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Project Accord: Help, Ideas, Recommendations, Good-Ideas/Bad-Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Accord: Help, Ideas, Recommendations, Good-Ideas/Bad-Ideas

Hi, I have a 1990 Honda Accord DX f22 with 141,000 miles on it. The engine runs like a top and it looks really good for a modified 1990 Honda, no rust.
It has 4-2-1 Pacesetter Headers wrapped entirely in Thermotech exhaust wrap, 2.25" cat back mandril bent steel piping to a 60 series Raven highflow muffler, a short ram air intake, strut tower brace, msd sci ignition, stage 5 centerforce clutch kit, modified short throw shifter Hayame cam gear, Nology hotwires, Denso iridium plugs, port and polish, Weapon R adjustable coil over kit, Eibach lowering springs, Vis racing body kit and spoiler, custom paint, 17" Konig Caffeine Rims w/z-rated tires, optima gel cell battery, clear tails and corners, racing seats, custom interior w/ lots of toys, and many more modifications.

Right now I am one day from beginning THE PROJECT. I currently have the car up on stands and have the powersteering, ac (I HAVE PULLED OUT ALL OF THE AC COMPONENTS WHICH HAVE BEEN DRY FOR SOME TIME), alternator, radiator and fans, headers,battery,starter,airintake,throttlebody,gri lle, battery cables, and vacuum hoses pulled out. I have carefully made diagrams and layouts of everything pulled out so far. I am putting in the following:

-CUSTOM BORED-OUT AND POLISHED THROTTLE BODY W/ INTAKE MANIFOLD RE-PORTED AND POLISHED (NOW 61MM THANKS TO MY BROTHER WHO IS A MACHINIST)
-ACT HEAVY DUTY STREET CLUTCH
-ACT XACT PROLITE ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL (8lbs)
-GOODRIDGE STEELBRAIDED BRAKE HOSES
-POWERSTOP CROSSDRILLED BRAKE ROTORS
-CERAMIC BRAKE PADS
-AEM COLD AIR INTAKE
-MSD POWER CAP DISTRIBUTOR
-MSD BLASTER COIL 2
-SPRINT PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION FRONT CAMBER ADJUSTMENT KIT
-JET PERFORMANCE ECU UPGRADE KIT
-NEW EXHAUST GASKETS (HEADER ALL THE WAY BACK)
-NEW HARDWARE FOR SHIFTER (CUSTOM BUSHINGS AND WASHERS)
-NEW OIL PAN GASKET (JUST STARTING TO LEAK)
-NEW FUEL FILTER
-NEW UPPER AND LOWER RADIATOR HOSES
-NEW ALTERNATOR ONLY DRIVE BELT
-NEW PASSENGER SIDE DRIVESHAFT
-NEW POWERSTEERING HOSES
-NEW BALL JOINTS UPPER AND LOWER
-NEW TIE ROD ENDS INER AND OUTER
-NEW TRANNY MOUNT
-NEW REAR ENGINE MOUNT
-NEW VACUUM LINES
-RELOCATING BATTERY TO TRUNK (WILL BE 2 BATTERY BOXES IN TRUNK)
-COATING ENGINE BAY WITH LIGHT COAT OF TRUCK BED LINER
-POWDERCOATING CALIPERS AND DRUMS
-FLUSHING RADIATOR
-NEW PCV VALVE

FOR FLUIDS I AM AND WILL BE RUNNING:

-HONDA POWER STEERING FLUID
-GENERIC BRAKE FLUID AS SPECIFIED IN CHILTON MANUAL
-AMSOIL 10W30 FOR TRANSMISSION
-DURABLEND 10W30 OIL
-PRESTONE GREEN COOLANT 1:1 RATIO

ANY COMMENTS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ON INSTALLATION IDEAS OR OTHER CUSTOMIZATIONS THAT WOULD BE NICE TO DO ON THE WAY!!!

THANKS GUYS!!!!! PLEASE COMMENT ON WHATEVER COMES TO MIND ESPECIALLY THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE FAMILIAR WITH 4TH GENERATION ACCORDS!

MATT
Old 03-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Accord: Help, Ideas, Recommendations, Good-Ideas/Bad-Ideas (Shyruken)

Wow good luck with all the upgrades..
Old 03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: Project Accord: Help, Ideas, Recommendations, Good-Ideas/Bad-Ideas (baGged93aCcord)

If you haven't already bought the new rotors think about doing the legend caliper/rotor upgrade, it will save you tons in the long run and provide a more "stable" longer lasting setup with good stops. If you plan on rebuilding the motor (pistons, cam, rings, valves etc etc) you may want to think of it. I assume you gonna pull the engine to make it easier on yourself putting in most of the engine components.

If you rebuild that engine boooost all the way. If not what are you plans for the motor? A all motor f22 is gonna be hard to produce unless you have endless flow (money). My suggestion would be upgrade the brakes, rebuild or swap engine and upgrade tranny

Welcome to h-t, sounds like you have a decent amount of engine knowledge. And if you haven't already purchase a chiltons/helms/haynes manual . Keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Project Accord: Help, Ideas, Recommendations, Good-Ideas/Bad-Ideas (VRDrvr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VRDrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you haven't already bought the new rotors think about doing the legend caliper/rotor upgrade, it will save you tons in the long run and provide a more "stable" longer lasting setup with good stops.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oooo, I vote for that one.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Project Accord: Help, Ideas, Recommendations, Good-Ideas/Bad-Ideas (Shyruken)

I already have the Power Stop rotors in my shop so until the next time my ambition takes me toward the redoing of my entire brake setup again, i will have to do with what i have so far, being the rotors and pads for the brake system. But you are right about the legend setup, very nice.

ANOTHER LITTLE TID-BIT FOR THOUGHT:

COLD AIR INTAKE OR RAM AIR INTAKE INTO CUSTOM WHEEL WELL AIR BOX WITH CONE FILTER? I AM SCRATCHING MY HEAD.

ANY OPINIONS?

I know that the cold air intake system favors lower rpm and higher horse WITH A 25 DEGREE AIR TEMPERATURE decrease while a short ram air favors higher torque and higher horse in the higher rpm range than the cold air with an air temperature 25 degrees warmer than the cold air. So would a "cold air" short ram air with a custom air box with an under car ram air inlet be the way to go?

COMMENTS?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:32 AM
Farts in the shower

Well a non cold air type intake (short ram) will usually yield better throttle response and not have as much hp (probably like 1-3hp) as the CAI (cold air intake).

If you make your own type of intake it will be cheaper but if its made out of PVC it generally shileds more heat . I would say don't waste your money spending tons of money on an intake for they generally are the same concept. The only difference would be the filter and the size of the tubing .
Old 03-25-2004, 10:27 AM

Wow. You could start a shop with all those parts.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Project Accord: Help, Ideas, Recommendations, Good-Ideas/Bad-Ideas (r2N)

I would suggest running a higher boiling point brake fluid like Motul. Expensive but worth it with all your brakework.
I would also suggest running OEM Honda coolant as well or at least a "phosphate-free" based one (look for THE LACK OF IT on the label). Honda's oem stuff is formulated extrememly well for anti-corrosion.

Got any pics?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:21 AM

Here is a link to MNSportcompacts where you can find a picture of my car and a duplicate list of mods that was for Autovations 2003 (if you have to copy and paste this in your address bar)

http://www.mnsportcompacts.net...72896

It is also on http://www.speedoptions.com part of Teamredline out of New Mexico.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the tips so far guys! I do appreciate your input.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:13 AM

Hey guys. Question:

Does anyone have any experience with the front upper camber adjustment kit for the 1990 Honda Accord DX or 90-93 Honda suspension kit? I am going through a company called Evolution Performance, a new line of performance parts. Do the camber adjustment kits come with the upper control arms and the bushings (which on a 1990 are one piece)? The catalogs are unclear. Any recommendations and tricks to getting these camber kits to fit and work right for the 90 accord? Installation advice?
Thanks for any input you guys might have.