Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help?

The illumination bulb under my automatic shifter is out...so i can't see the gears....

Also Illumination Bulbs in the Heater Controls and hazard light illumination button bulb

Does anyone have a write up or good Directions in changing it?

thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (jsyjordan)

I have the same issue. Asked the dealer and they said you have to take the whole center console out to get to the bulb under the shift gate. You can't just pop up the housing around the gear shift changer.

I looked at the Haynes manual and its a pretty labor intensive project. You have to remove the cup holder, the center armrest, and unscrew the gear shift.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (uschonda)

anyone know?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (uschonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uschonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I looked at the Haynes manual and its a pretty labor intensive project. You have to remove the cup holder, the center armrest, and unscrew the gear shift.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not that much work. Pop off the trim around the shifter, pull out the cup holder, pop out the trim around the shifter/cup holder (big piece), and loosen up the center console screws (or remove them). You will need to remove the panels under the glovebox and under the steering column to expose some screws. Move the center console to the side and see if you can stick your fingers in there to get the bulb out. If not, lift up the console until you can get in there from the bottom. There's no need to remove the whole thing. It's so labor intensive that I could get it done in 5 minutes.

As for the bulbs in the climate controls, remove the 2 screws from the trim around the radio (bottom), pull out the clock and remove the screw behind it, and pull out the trim that holds the climate controls and goes around the radio. You will then have access to the bulbs.

Once you have the clock out, the hazard lights switch will pop out if you push on it form the back. In it's side, you will find a bulb.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsyjordan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The illumination bulb under my automatic shifter is out...so i can't see the gears....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just curious, don't you have the gear selection lights on the cluster? I find that easier to look at than at the numbers next to the shifter.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (02 accord)

Wait... There's a light under the shifter that illuminates the gear position? Damn, on my '99 it must have went out a LONG time ago for me not to notice. I never look down there... I look at the indicator on the gauge cluster if I need to.

EDIT: Ya know... I'm pretty sure mine's NEVER lit up before. Are you sure there's even a bulb down there?

EDIT #2: I'll be damned... my wiring diagram shows that there's a light there. I guess that gives me something to do tomorrow when I get bored.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (philadd)

Okay, so I already changed the bulb out on my car. I seriously don't remember ever seeing that thing light up before. Anyway.

All I removed was the shifter trim. I could see the wires and connector for the light bulb right there on the left side, but there wasn't a whole lot of room to get my fingers in. However, I was being stubborn and did not want to remove all those interior pieces.

So, with a little patience, the tips of my two index fingers, and needle-nose pliers, I had the bulb out and replaced in a matter of seconds. Putting it back in was a little harder due to the lack of room, but since I paid attention to the orientation of the connector when I pulled it out I was able to re-install it in about 30 seconds. I think I spent literally 2 minutes in the car from beginning to end.

Note: My glove size is a M, so those of you with fat fingers or a size L hand will probably have to remove all the interior pieces. Or you can try using your pinkies...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (philadd)

yes, there is a light bulb to indicate the gear you are in.

you have to pull the cupholder out and then slowly pop the center console pieces out and around the shifter.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (jsyjordan)

go to this website it will tell you step by step how to do it... you can even buy light bulbs of different color... i have personally used their products its very good.

http://ledautomotive.com/HowTo...o.asp
Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help? (NY02Accord)

These are pretty common problems with the 6th gens. I'm surprised the clock light hasn't gone out yet.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

easy replacement

6th gen bulbs are crap i think i replace the once on my clock 3 times already and other lights on the car like the sunroof buttons, numerous ones on the gauges, and one on the climate control
Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Shifter Light Bulb Replacement Directions? Any 6th gen help?

on my 98 Civic DX coupe Mine has been out since i bought a year ago. I wanna replace it. Any pointers any one? much help is appreciated. Thanks