Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Please help me to figure out why my accord is overheating...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Please help me to figure out why my accord is overheating...

Originally Posted by nicolaselias

Concerning the compression test (which was done before the overheating situation got really bad) all 4 tested around 8.9...
What exactly does that mean ? You should do another compression test. A real one. I have a feeling it's going to tell you what people are already saying.

Your spark plugs should not be that color. They are already oil fouled, and the one second from the left is really bad. What color is your coolant ?

It probably the angle, but the gaps seem kinda wide.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

I actually thought the gaps were too wide, but I regapped it and they were actually undergapped a little..

Coolant is your regular garden variety prestone 50/50 mix green.. I can detect no milkiness or any other sort of traces of oil in the coolant..

I will re-do the compression test this weekend or next week, but last time all 4 cylinders tested equal (before my latest round of overheating though)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gap on those plugs looks huge. Won't affect overheating though.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm throwing this out there for others to comment on and am by no means stating it as fact.

I've heard that when water pumps are replaced if there was any corrosion build up within the coolant channels or radiator that it suddenly gets flushed out by the now improved flow. Where it gets lodged could be the area of most resistance. I replaced the water pump on my 5.9L Durango and a few days later the heat stopped working well. I did some searching online and someone with a different Magnum engine had the same issue and had discovered that the heater core was full of gunk. I went and looked there and sure enough, my heater core needed to be replaced. It had lots of brown crap in it that looked like red mud.

If I were you, I'd remove the radiator and flush the inside with a pressurized fitting on a garden hose. See how well water come out the other end and if it's clear. It couldn't hurt, in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're over heating with no thermostat and the fans kick on look at your head gasket. continued driving while constantly over heating the car will cause the head to warp more and more.

I had this same issue on an old ef hatch of mine, car ran great, but even in 100 degree weather it would smoke white at first start up, then would over heat slowly in traffic. also, driving it hard would push coolant through the over flow. pulled the head, head gasket was leaking.

you wont always get the classic oil mixed in with the coolant or the milk shake.

follow this to test it:

http://forums.acuralegend.org/defini...if-t7669.html?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Great help DCRB... I can use that test you posted if I can't find someone with a leakdown tester within the next few days..

Most likely I am going to have to pull the head anyway, now its just to hope that the damage was localised to the head gasket itself and not the actual head..
Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah hopefully but unfortunately the newer head gaskets are a 3 layer composite metal, so no real room for blowing like the graphite ones, the head usally warps causing space in between the head and gasket