Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

PLEASE HELP..1992 Honda Accord EX Problems starting

Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP..1992 Honda Accord EX Problems starting

This a strange one guys. You guys may read this post and say to your self I know what his problem is right away.

I'll tell ya what it is doing and maybe someone can tell me what is wrong with my 1992 Honda Accord EX.

I was driving to work one morning doing about 55 MPH and all of the sudden all the dash lights came on because the car had died at 55 MPH.

I pulled over to the side of the road and tried to re-start the car. The car turns over with no problem at all but will not even try to start.

I left it on the side of the road with the parking lights on and flashers on. By the time I got there with the tow truck the battery was TOTALY dead. I took it home and the next day the battery was still dead so I put the trickle charger on it for a few hours.

I thought what the heck I'll try to start it and when I did it started right up with no problem at all. Had no idea why it did this so I just drove it for a few days.

Then 1 day it did it again. I took the battery cables off from the battery all night and then I got up at 5:30am and it started right up again. Thats weird to me.

So today I went to work and I almost got there and it died again. I took the battery cables off again and went to work. I only worked for 2 hours and then went back to my car and put the battery cables back on again and sure as heck it started again.

I went to my local wrecking yard and bought 2 used Computers for the car. 1 for the engine and the other 1 of the transmission. Both computers matched my computers number right on so I know I got the right ones for my car.

I drove it and after 5 or 6 hours it died again. Took the battery cables off again for 2 hours and then it started right back up again.

What in the world is going on here?

I guess I should mention this also guys. 1 day when I go off the freeway I stopped at the stop sign and when I tried to go forward My car would barely move.

I had to put it into first gear by hand and then I put it up a gear as I went faster. 1st and 2nd were almost gone so I just shifted it myself for a few day.

Well When the battery died in the car as I mentioned before in this e-mail. When I recharged the battery and started the car and when I drove it all of the sudden I had 1st and 2nd gear again.

It has been shifting fine since then but the car dieing is still doing that. I know it sounds like something electrical so I cleaned both the battery posts (VERY CLEAN).

I hooked it up to a machine and it says that the battery is being charged all the time so its not the alternator I don't think.

So guys does ANYONE have ANY IDEA what this problem might be? I can work on older cars without a problem but when it comes to all these cars with all these computers and new stuff like that I have no idea what to think it is.

ANY help would be so nice so I don't have to start replacing parts 1 by 1 until I find out what it is. That gets kinda expensive as you guys probably already know!!

Thanks guys for the help.

Mike Davis

mmmikezd@comcast.net

Last edited by mmmikezd; 01-20-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Made some corrections, More Corrections again.