Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil in spark plug sockets...help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in spark plug sockets...help

OK, when I recently replaced the valve cover gasket I noticed that there was a lot of oil in the spark plug wire where it connects to the end of the spark plug, like full of oil, the wire ends were dripping when I took them out. I then took one of the spark plugs out and it was dripping with oil on the bottom side where it sparks.

I don't know a lot about engines but I don't think that is normal. On the civic I used to own where the wires meet the plugs it didn't have a lot of oil on it.

So, what could cause this? Up until I noticed it today the engine has seemed to run fine.

What am I looking at as far as taking it to a shop and getting it fixed if it is something I can't do myself?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Re: Oil in spark plug sockets...help

all you need is to change the oil plug seals.. they are dirt cheap and easy to do.. also be sure that your PCV system is in good working order..
Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
all you need is to change the oil plug seals.. they are dirt cheap and easy to do.. also be sure that your PCV system is in good working order..
That sounds more promising than what I have been imagining. Will it cause damage with oil being where the spark plugs are and below where the bottom of the plug is? Is there any way to clean the oil out?

Thanks,
Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year is your car?? depending on the year of your car the lower spark plug tube seals could be leaking.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is a 1996 Acoord 4cyl LX.

What's involved if those need to be replaced?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

it's possible the lower seals need replacing, but i would take this one step at a time.

start with the easy ones in the valve cover. go ahead and get a valve cover gasket set which should include the upper plug tube seals and new washer/gromets.

once you've installed these and the valve cover is back on, remove the spark plugs if you havn't already. spray the tubes with brake parts cleaner to flush all the oil into the cylinders. when the engine is ready to start up again, you may need to hold the throttle wide open while cranking to get it to start. it'll spit and sputter and start out real slow with lots of smoke from the exhaust..! then it should all clear up.

make sure your oil is topped off, and drive the car for a few days or a week. come back and check the tubes for oil. if there is still oil, this is the point you would consider replacing the lower seals... you could do this or have a qualified import shop do it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
it's possible the lower seals need replacing, but i would take this one step at a time.

start with the easy ones in the valve cover. go ahead and get a valve cover gasket set which should include the upper plug tube seals and new washer/gromets.

once you've installed these and the valve cover is back on, remove the spark plugs if you havn't already. spray the tubes with brake parts cleaner to flush all the oil into the cylinders. when the engine is ready to start up again, you may need to hold the throttle wide open while cranking to get it to start. it'll spit and sputter and start out real slow with lots of smoke from the exhaust..! then it should all clear up.

make sure your oil is topped off, and drive the car for a few days or a week. come back and check the tubes for oil. if there is still oil, this is the point you would consider replacing the lower seals... you could do this or have a qualified import shop do it.
Thanks for the info I will try this out and see how it goes. How big a job is it to replace the lower seals? If it involves taking stuff apart under the valve cover gasket I may just get a shop to do it.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes you have to remove the entire rocker assembly to replace the lower spark plug tube o-rings. If you are not comfortable with getting into removing parts I wold sugest that you take it to a mechanic. However the upper tube gaskets can be done failry easily if you want to give them a try first and see if that fixes your leak.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Yellow = Easy - Valve Cover to Rocker Assembly Seals (No need to remove anything other than the valve cover)
Red = Hard - Rocker Assembly to Head O-Rings
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, thanks. If the lwer are bad I'll take it to a shop.