Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil Pump: Big trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump: Big trouble?

Hello all, I am a bit of a novice so I apologize in advance. I am sure there is just something very simple that I am missing. I bought a fixer upper 98 Accord Ex 4 cyl manual and have been on it gradually for a while. It was time to do timing belt and reseal everything including resealing the oil pump. This is where I hit some big trouble. There are no instructional videos that I found for my specific car and have been relying on Hayes manual. However, Hayes has proven unreliable for the oil pump, getting several specific but minor points wrong. I was unaware that there was a washer holding the rear balance shaft in place when I removed the oil pump after removing the rear balance gear housing and rear balance driven gear. As a result the balance shaft itself was pulled partially out of the engine. So I replaced the oil and crank seals as well as the o-ring on the oil pump housing while the rear balance shaft was still present. I cleaned all the surfaces and then the real problem hit. I cant get the oil pump back on!!! Everything slides on just fine, I rotate the balance shaft until it glides into its hole. But then clank. The oil pump is being blocked by something about 1/4 inch from the mating surface! There is no clear/visible obstruction, the rear balance shaft rotates freely. The pump just won't move. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions? Where can I find an accurate schematic of the oil pump specific for my model Accord? Again I am sorry if this is just something really stupid that I am missing but I really need some help. Thank you all in advance. Cheers.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Pump: Big trouble?

Im sorry for wasting your time. I have solved the problem. Just took getting the balance shaft in the perfect orientation. Just took a while to find it. Again sorry. I haven't figured out how to delete posts yet. When I do I will delete.