Default Re: Oil change interval

both those heads show neglect
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 10psiLsEf2
both those heads show neglect
Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. Look, we all know you're embarrassed for now knowing that there are Honda's running around on the streets with more than one cylinder head, but come on, you don't need to keep compounding that statement with other equally careless ones.

Please, give it a rest.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shipo
Are you serious? I don't think I've ever seen an oil filter that wasn't good for an easy 7,500 to 10,000 miles. In fact, many manufacturers, Honda included, recommend changing the oil filter every other oil change on some of their models. The fact is, from a filtering perspective, the newer the filter the less efficient it is at trapping dirt, errr, that is until the filter is no longer able to pass the minimum amount of oil as specified by the engine manufacturer (something that will happen well beyond 10,000 miles for most filters when mounted to a healthy engine).
WERE? i want you to me were honda states to replace the oil filter every other service
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you know that lack of oil changes can damage continuos varriable valve timing componets, Make engines run less efficient, Run rich, and plenty of other things
Old 09-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WERE? i want you to me were honda states to replace the oil filter every other service
If you'd care to look in the Owner's Manual of early 2000s vintage Civics you'll have your answer.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you know that lack of oil changes can damage continuos varriable valve timing componets, Make engines run less efficient, Run rich, and plenty of other things
Gee, news flash. The thing is, what constitutes "lack of oil changes"? Use crap oil and even 1,000 miles might be too long; use high quality synthetics and then send out an occasional sample for Used Oil Analysis and most engines can go an easy 10,000 miles between changes, including your engine with its occasional momentary visits to the realm of 8,000 rpms.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you trolling, or are you just really stupid? I think you mean WHERE? Also, if you look in the owners manual they state to change the filter every other oil change under normal driving conditions. (not that I would do that) but YES Honda/Acura states that.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Are you trolling, or are you just really stupid? I think you mean WHERE? Also, if you look in the owners manual they state to change the filter every other oil change under normal driving conditions. (not that I would do that) but YES Honda/Acura states that.
I think post #32 should answer the trolling part. I stopped messing around with this guy. No matter what anyone say or how much facts we bring in this debate, he will go off in another unknown path.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every 3,000-4,000 miles with a Bosch oil filter. I vary between castrol, pennzoil, and valvoline high mileage oil. Starting to seep oil from the oil pan gasket if not other places as well. 170k.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. Look, we all know you're embarrassed for now knowing that there are Honda's running around on the streets with more than one cylinder head, but come on, you don't need to keep compounding that statement with other equally careless ones.

Please, give it a rest.
lol you really think im some dumbass huh? funny!!!! not to brag but i have 5 ase's certs and 8 years experience in the field. it seems like you think your some expert. As for you thinking i didnt know there was v6 honda/acura engines then your completely mistaken. your off to a good start with 60 posts and already talking jiberish! Good luck ill surely 1 day reply to one of your posts giving you a hand with problems you may have encountered and i just might have the experience to help you bud!

Good argument! i Quit lol! Every man for his own!

Juan
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
AWWW the guy with OCD got mad!!!!

Sorry im not a good speller as i come from MEXICO. DID I SPELL THAT RIGHT?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol you really think im some dumbass huh? funny!!!! not to brag but i have 5 ase's certs and 8 years experience in the field. it seems like you think your some expert. As for you thinking i didnt know there was v6 honda/acura engines then your completely mistaken.
If you say so Juan, I suppose now you're going to tell me I somehow misread the following quote from you (or that someone hijacked your ID):
and you drive what kinda car again? what honda has "HEADS".
your off to a good start with 60 posts and already talking jiberish!
Ahhh, pick on the new guy; the thing is, I'm not the only one questioning the veracity of your posts.

Good luck ill surely 1 day reply to one of your posts giving you a hand with problems you may have encountered and i just might have the experience to help you bud!
Unlikely. Why? First off, I've been turning a wrench since before you were born, and second, given the exceedingly poor advice you've been handing out, I wouldn't trust you to tell me how to add wiper fluid to the wiper fluid reservior.

As for you being dumb, no, I don't believe you're dumb, just naive or very poorly taught. As a suggestion, you might want to consider what others around here have written; you might just learn something.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you say so Juan, I suppose now you're going to tell me I somehow misread the following quote from you (or that someone hijacked your ID):

Ahhh, pick on the new guy; the thing is, I'm not the only one questioning the veracity of your posts.

Unlikely. Why? First off, I've been turning a wrench since before you were born, and second, given the exceedingly poor advice you've been handing out, I wouldn't trust you to tell me how to add wiper fluid to the wiper fluid reservior.

As for you being dumb, no, I don't believe you're dumb, just naive or very poorly taught. As a suggestion, you might want to consider what others around here have written; you might just learn something.

What ever you say BUD! You cant teach a old dog new tricks but you can teach a puppy a whole BOOK of tricks. .
Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking it's high time this thread was locked.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UMAD?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i checked my owners manual for my 94 accord and it said change my oil and filter every 7500 miles maybe earlier based on driving conditions... i live in the north east...i will still change my oil every 3,000 miles.

the reason is ive had brand new cars come in for there first oil change some with 7000 miles on them or more and the oil looks like chocolate syrup, more than likely its due to cheap oil the dealers are using. i use either valvoline full syn. or royal purple (i have a built jdm h22a swap) but ill stick with 3,000 miles.

when it comes down to it all that matters is JUST CHANGE YOUR OIL.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vcbynature
when it comes down to it all that matters is JUST CHANGE YOUR OIL.
True; the question here is how often. I submit that if you were to send a sample of your used oil with 3,000 miles on it out for analysis you'd discover that there's an easy 7,000+ miles of life in the oil before it starts losing its ability to properly protect your engine.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Different seasons play a part too in oil life. Stay away from fram filters.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vcbynature
well i checked my owners manual for my 94 accord and it said change my oil and filter every 7500 miles maybe earlier based on driving conditions.
Are you sure that's what it says? I finally managed to procure a manual for our 2001 Accord and it clearly states to change the filter every 15,000 miles, in other words, every other oil change.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Trial User

I try to change my oil every 3000 + I always take it to a honda dealer, that is offering a discount at the time.. However, I beleieve they use a Honda brand syntetic blend, I don't use any alternative solutions with the oil, and my car runs well, i am always open to suggestions, because I am not a pro tech. I reside in hot climate, Central Florida

Accord 2004
4cyl Auto
184,xxx miles
Old 12-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2000 Mitsubishi mirage. 1.8 liter Chilton manual recommends 7'500 mile interval. Sorry people. You have been indoctrinated by the old generation to believe that cars are the same as they were 50 years ago.Also, my FMC history book changed the oil change interval in 1961 to 6000 miles. On 50 year old oil technology. And I didn't hear this from my uncle Lou.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<sigh> This discussion thread should not be relied on as a serious guide. The comments are too varied and some significant points have not even been mentioned, even with over 50 posts in this thread. For example, nobody has clearly discussed normal car usage. Do you drive many short distances, or do you drive longer distances? Do you do a lot of stop-and-go city driving, or do you do a lot of open highway driving? Do you regularly do any driving on dirt roads or around construction areas where air is often dirtier?

Comments here with regard to use of synthetic vs. conventional also have not painted a clear picture on how this choice can affect oil change interval.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Siletti
2000 Mitsubishi mirage. 1.8 liter Chilton manual recommends 7'500 mile interval. Sorry people. You have been indoctrinated by the old generation to believe that cars are the same as they were 50 years ago.Also, my FMC history book changed the oil change interval in 1961 to 6000 miles. On 50 year old oil technology. And I didn't hear this from my uncle Lou.

Glad to see you live in a bubble and always drive under optimum conditions... Under optimum conditions the 2000 Accord is also 7500 miles according to Honda... that doesn't mean you can't change it before that. That is a recommended interval. According to Honda My 96 oil change interval is every 6000km....I change it when ever it starts to feel thin and smell burnt/dirty! Could be 3000km or it could be 7000km.... really depends on the driving conditions.

Might want to read the Notes at the bottom of the regular maintenance page. It usually includes stuff like dderolph mentioned above.... type of driving and atmospheric conditions may effect oil change intervals.

A car that idles for 30-45 minutes a day in -30*C weather just to warm up, then drives on dirt or salt covered roads will require a different change interval than one that only idles at the Starbucks drive thru, never sees temps colder than 20*C and is mostly highway driven.

Not to mention you 1post revive a 2 year old thread on a Honda Forum to talk about your Misty Mirage!....
Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most folks don't drive in a bubble and still don't need to adhere to the Schedule B plan for oil changes. In the case of my 2001 Accord, even after 7,500 miles of "non-bubble" driving in the Boston metro area, the two UOAs I had done on my car showed the oil still had plenty of life in it.

As for changing oil because of smell or feel, sorry, gotta call you on that one, I rather doubt any human is capable of determining oil life based on smell and feel (except in the extreme where the oil looks and feels more like tar that is).
Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dderolph
<sigh> This discussion thread should not be relied on as a serious guide. The comments are too varied and some significant points have not even been mentioned, even with over 50 posts in this thread. For example, nobody has clearly discussed normal car usage. Do you drive many short distances, or do you drive longer distances? Do you do a lot of stop-and-go city driving, or do you do a lot of open highway driving? Do you regularly do any driving on dirt roads or around construction areas where air is often dirtier?

Comments here with regard to use of synthetic vs. conventional also have not painted a clear picture on how this choice can affect oil change interval.
^ This.

Bottom line, if you want to be conservative, go with Honda's recommendation.

Honda recommends oil changes every 7,500 miles for NORMAL driving with regular 5W-30 oil. For city driving, it might be less. For synthetic oil, it might be more. For most people, 3,000 miles for any kind of oil is a complete waste.

If it makes you feel good about wasting money and changing your oil more often, go for it. $25 for peace of mind might be worth it.

But FYI, all of my vehicles (Fords, Chevys, Pontiacs, Hondas, Toyotas) all have recommended 7,500 mile intervals on regular petroleum based oil. If anything, the manufacturer is going to be very conservative - and for all of them to recommend the same thing says a lot.

I will agree that all oil filters are not made equal. The price difference between a horrible (fram) filter and a high quality (Wix) filter is really small - $1 or $2 at most. There's really no excuse to go with the lousy ones.