Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Offical 6th gen auto to 5spd swap guide. Use at your owen risk.**STICKY**

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will slave cylinder and master cylinder and other parts work off a 95 prelude? thanks guys!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: Offical 6th gen auto to 5spd swap guide. Use at your owen risk.**STICKY** (Turbowa)

I don't know if its been posted but here is another great thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1237137
Old 10-20-2005, 11:44 AM

this is deffinatly a niice tut, i give my regaurds...i have been wantint to do this for a while now because it just must be done...however this mostlikely wont work for 90-93 gen right?any one know where i can find help on this?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Offical 6th gen auto to 5spd swap guide. Use at your owen risk.**STICKY** (Turbowa)

Anyone got the info on the clutch switch wiring and the brake switch wiring? The stock auto harness is diff from the 5spd brake/clutch pedals.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:07 AM
New User

Default Re: Offical 6th gen auto to 5spd swap guide. Use at your owen risk.**STICKY**

does anybody have a complete list of parts needed? thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:55 PM
New User

Default Re: Offical 6th gen auto to 5spd swap guide. Use at your owen risk.**STICKY**

how much time once you have all parts does it take to do this swap? are all the 6cyl and 4 cyl trans the same ( I have a 4 cyl accord, does the man trans have to come from another 4 cyl?)

and what parts are needed to complete the whole job, need more then just a tranny.... **** like instrument cluster shifter pedals, u really need a entire parts car maybe ...??
u got a parts list to shop on ebay with??
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: Offical 6th gen auto to 5spd swap guide. Use at your owen risk.**STICKY**

Hi I paid $900 for the hole swap in my father in law shop
I found out that he had put a 1991 trany on my Honda accord which I paid him
to put a 98-02 trany now the car runs very slow on 1st gear
the only gear that it picks up speed is on 2 gear. 3,4,5 very slow
can't even beat a stock neon!!!! i recently got a 02
5speed my qusetion is will it make a differences in my car?

The reason that I didn't do it was. because I go to school and work
so I don't have time. Can some one please help me
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Trial User

5 years old and still helpful!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just subscribing! Wow, hats off to the author!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Trial User

can u put some pics off the setup
Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Trial User

I have a question. i am in the middle of the swap on my 98 accord lx 4cyl and i am stuck on the wiring part where you re wire and add wire on the passenger side fuse box. some of the colors you said were there are not.idk if you accidently typed the color in wrong or what. if possible can someone help me find a solution to my wiring problem im stuck at? thanks pm me
Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm gonna do the swap but found a wreaked 98 same car I got except its 5speed manual. I'm wondering how hard its gonna be to swap out since I got the whole car for parts . And if I change the wire harness will I still have to do all kinds of rigging or what. Also does the wire harness seperate for trans and motor or is it all one . And where is the ecu I need to change. This is my first Honda I've ever owned and I love it except the automatic trans problems I got. I get it swamped out I'm gonna keep til the wheels rust and fall off. There's something about a Honda I love dunno if its the comfert or the power or the handle of roads

Also mine is 2.3L 4cyl without vtec wond how hard will be to add vtec to it. I'm gonna add super charger and nitrous just for sound and looks. I really wanna get looks and sound on my Honda like the black accords was on 2fast 2ferrious . That's what I'm after the looks and sound and for show

Wish the guy done the wire swap setup would contact me back I may just pay him do it. So I know its done right
Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm getting my 98 Honda accord with blown motor and five speed factory car tomarow so I will be doing the swap to my 99 Honda accord shortly. Wish me luck people. And any good hints and help suggestions would love to hear. I'm thinking just drop frame with motor and trans swap motors then but the good motor and five speed trans on the sub frame in the 99 then plug up and change the computer inside and cluster . I shouldn't have to change and run wires then right ?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or will I have change the complete inside hood wire harness and fuse box from one to other then swap the complete wire harness in dash and fuse boxes from one to other ? Or will just computer and cluster be good ??
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnweiler
Or will I have change the complete inside hood wire harness and fuse box from one to other then swap the complete wire harness in dash and fuse boxes from one to other ? Or will just computer and cluster be good ??
You need to watch the second fast and the furious movie, they went over this in that one. You probably didn't see it.

No but it all sincerity, you just take out the old tranny and basically slap in the new one. Just have to wire up the reverse light, clutch safety switch, and install the new ECU. Not to mention drill out the holes in the floor for the clutch pedal which is the most difficult part. But if you're thinking of removing the entire subframe your on a substance I'm unaware of.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NZXTInerTia
You need to watch the second fast and the furious movie, they went over this in that one. You probably didn't see it.

No but it all sincerity, you just take out the old tranny and basically slap in the new one. Just have to wire up the reverse light, clutch safety switch, and install the new ECU. Not to mention drill out the holes in the floor for the clutch pedal which is the most difficult part. But if you're thinking of removing the entire subframe your on a substance I'm unaware of.
Yeah sub frame like unhooking struts then I think its four bolts the sub a frame that holds motor and trans in car letting it drop to ground on jacks change the bad motor (busted block) with my good motor in my 99 then put the whole a frame under my 99 jack in place and bolt it up . Would I still have change out the wire harness from one car to other so the connects will match and don't have worry about testing and hooking up the wrong wire ? I know putting the shifter and cable plus clutch and drilling whole for clutch for master cylinder . But I'm more worried about the wires hooking up. I'd like have my car to hook up and look factory without testing and hooking up wires I dunno nothing about. I know I gotta change cluster and computer . But will all the inside wires be good if I just change the under hood harness ? Or do I gotta change complete wire harness under dash to?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trying to take a factory five speed wreaked (busted block) to. Into my car as much factory as possible since I have the whole car now sitting in my driveway
Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wreaked is 89 mine is 99 both are 2.3L 4cyl 4door non vtec. Only difference I see from one car to next is the five speed and color of car
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnweiler
Wreaked is 89 mine is 99 both are 2.3L 4cyl 4door non vtec. Only difference I see from one car to next is the five speed and color of car
You wanted to supercharge and install nitrous on a stock Accord JUST for the looks and the sound of which. Are you sure you're up to the task of a manual conversion?

No you do not need to transfer the entire harness. I wired mine conversion up (CD7) in about five minutes, that's with soldering/heatshrink (the correct way of doing it), and routing all the wiring through the chassis. You will need a clutch safety switch setup and a reverse light setup, if you do everything correctly and nothing half *** it will look factory. I'm sure the 6th gen Accord swaps are a tad bit different than the 5th gen's. But considering the blocks/trannys are identical, it can't be that difficult.

In no way do you need to drop the damn sub frame, that is rediculous and overly complicated for a simple task. Just remove the passenger side radius rod, pull the axles, disconnect the tranny motor mount (the motor should fall down a little bit, support it with a jack), and unbolt the transmission from the block, and remove it. Really not that complicated, do it with a Civic and its even easier. Not to mention you don't need to replace the cluster native to the car, why would you? They're identical minus the PRNDL that's on the auto one. If it bothers you that much just take the bulb out.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NZXTInerTia
You wanted to supercharge and install nitrous on a stock Accord JUST for the looks and the sound of which. Are you sure you're up to the task of a manual conversion?

No you do not need to transfer the entire harness. I wired mine conversion up (CD7) in about five minutes, that's with soldering/heatshrink (the correct way of doing it), and routing all the wiring through the chassis. You will need a clutch safety switch setup and a reverse light setup, if you do everything correctly and nothing half *** it will look factory. I'm sure the 6th gen Accord swaps are a tad bit different than the 5th gen's. But considering the blocks/trannys are identical, it can't be that difficult.

In no way do you need to drop the damn sub frame, that is rediculous and overly complicated for a simple task. Just remove the passenger side radius rod, pull the axles, disconnect the tranny motor mount (the motor should fall down a little bit, support it with a jack), and unbolt the transmission from the block, and remove it. Really not that complicated, do it with a Civic and its even easier. Not to mention you don't need to replace the cluster native to the car, why would you? They're identical minus the PRNDL that's on the auto one. If it bothers you that much just take the bulb out.
just worried about hooking up wrong color wires to wrong wire and screwing something else up. Plus I'd like to have my speedo working and the cruise control. I got whole car sitting here plus my 99 automatic. I thought the 5speed manual had a shift idiot light on cluster . Like I said I want it to look like it was factory done not hook wrong color wires up and burn the car down lol
Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need some pics ayeee
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures are always help full .
Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally finished my swap. It took me almost a year to figure out my speedometer but I am finally done. I took a tranny, clutch, pedals, ecu, and harness from the tranny to the ecu. That part was easy for me. Hard wired the reverse lights... easy. But I couldn't get the darn speedo to work. I tested everything that I could. The voltage coming out the signal wire on the VSS was 0.24v. My mind was thinking that as long as it was going up and down it was ok. That was my problem. It took me almost a year to realize that it had to go to 5v. After verifying that the VSS is good I concluded that there was a short somewhere. So I ran new wires straight off of the VSS and bypassed them all the way to the speedo and ground and fusebox. Now it is all working perfectly. Moral of the story? Check your VSS and make shure it is working first. Second check your connections. Third check the wiring.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also bought a M/T gauge cluster and took out the circut board with the odometer and put that in the M/T cluster. Everything looks like a manual trans setup, it works and I have the untouched odometer in it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, just so we're clear, the only mount that needs to be replaced is the tranny side mount (Number 1 in the second link)? There are different part numbers for just about everything except the engine side mount for the MT variant so I'm a tad confused...

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...mounts-l4-at-3

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/p...mount-mt-98-02

Quick Reply: Offical 6th gen auto to 5spd swap guide. Use at your owen risk.**STICKY**