Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Odd problem with tire wear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd problem with tire wear.

I have a 1991 Accord EX Wagon with 122K miles. I just got the car about a month ago.
When I bought the car, I noticed that the rear tires were showing a lot of wear. I figgured that they were rotated from the front. I decided to drive on them a while because I am moving and don't have a lot of extra cash.
Anyhow, I was on a long trip this past weekend and I noticed that the driver side rear tire was really starting to wear rapidly on the outside edge (right to the sidewall). I kept an eye on it whenever I stopped and it was REALLY starting to go quickly. To see just how bad, I decided to run on it for a while longer. After about 1500 miles I started to see steel and I got the spare out (full-size and brand new! Sweet!).
I did a quick inspection of the new spare and saw that it was new and without wear. I put it on and drove the remaining 600 miles. At the end of my trip, I noticed that the new tire was showing a little wear in the exact same spot (outside edge, all the way around).
I can see a tire wearing on the inside due to bad springs / struts, but on the outside??? The wheel doesn't look like it's leaning out (unless it's so slight I can't detect it).
The wheels are the original Honda alloys. No dings, gouges, etc... to indicate that it had been banged against a curb or anything.
The car seems to have a decent set of springs. Not dropped at all.
The passenger side tire is showing some wear, but nothing like the driver side.
The car does not have an accident history.

So... I am stumped. I don't know what could be causing this. I am going to take it in as soon as I can afford to. The car isn't running funny. I don't have any problems turning or anything.
Odd.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be?

Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Odd problem with tire wear. (exile29)

QUOTE:
"The car does not have an accident history"

Perhaps not that you know.
The tire wear that you discribe could be caused by an excessive positive camber angle, combined with excessive toe in.

Check the lower control arms and their bushings. You're looking for any condition which would allow the bottom of the tire to have moved inboard from where it belongs. Specifically look for bent lower control arm(s) or worn inner and outer control arm bushings.
Note: the lower control arms should be straight and exibit no bends.

Sometimes, during towing, the flatbed operator hooks to the lower control arms (to anchor the car) because at some time in the past, the hold-down eyelet was removed from below the rear bumper. As they tighten the hold-down they put a bend in the control arms (effecively shortening them)

Sound farfethed?? It happened to my wifes' '89 - same tire wear problem
Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 PM

camber kit.edu
Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Odd problem with tire wear. (P_Adams)

Okay. I am going to come across like a total noob here and ask how to identify the lower control arm and it's bushings.
I'd like to check it before I take it into the shop. Along those lines, would you say that this part is: easy, moderate, or difficult to service? I am fairly competent when it comes to servicing my car. Not an expert by any means (otherwise, I'd know what the lower control arm looks like) but enough to do a tune-up, replace the MC, think (although maybe not really act) seriously about changing the timing belt myself, etc...
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Exile29

I'm sending along a link to an isometric drawing of your rear suspension. The items you're looking at are
19, 20, 21 and 22

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...R+ARM

This site is the only place that publishes the Honda Parts manual on the Web and I would suggest flagging it as one of your favorites.

As to how easy it is??? It's not bad if everything loosens up, bit as any Honda tech will attest; the bushings center tube almost always rusts to the thru bolt, causing all manner of cursing

P
Old 08-11-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Odd problem with tire wear. (P_Adams)

Cool. That helps a lot P_Adams, I appreciate the link.
I'll have a look at it and see if it's bent. I have a feeling that this is going to be the case. Once I finish moving to Massachusetts, I'll get to the bottom of this.
Thanks again!