Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

clutch pump question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pump question

I was wondering is it possible to run the clutch line straight from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder with no problems....I would like to know cuz I'm having problem with clutch pedal...new pumps by da way
Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch pump question

yup it's possible. what kind of problem are you having?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got nee pumps stage 3 clutch and the pedal feels like it doesn't have a lot of pressure.....and the slave doesn't close all the way when I let the pedal go...
Old 09-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you bleed the system after you replaced the clutch?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I did....ever since I put the clutch in I have bled it 5 times already.....so is it possible to bypass the rubber hose on the tranny and just throw a straight line from the master to the slave without any problems?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You mean to do a clutch dampener delete sort of set-up? or run straight hard line with no flex? I am doing the clutch damper delete on mine. I am going to run a solid line with a small section of stainless braided flex hose straight from the master to the slave. This will allow for any engine movement and still be much more solid than the plain rubber hose.

There could be enough movement between the chassis (master cylinder) and the engine/trans (slave cylinder) to cause a straight line to crimp or bend and brake in time. Now if you notice that your engine doesn't move as much and you can put an s bend in the line to allow for some chassis/engine movement that might work.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you replace the clutch to begin with ? was it the pedal problem?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea that's exactly what I want to do but I don't kno where to find the braided flex hose....and the clutch was changed cuz I got the car with a burnt clutch
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Russell Performance Clutch Hose Kit #684710

It's listed for a Civic but it shouldn't be too hard to get it to work on an Accord. It's $23.00 @ Summitracing.com. You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the purpose for the clutch damper? What is its job? Mine's all covered in dirt & grease.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It softens the feel and action of the clutch engagement. I think they put them in there so that the clutch engagement wasn't so harsh on the old guys that used to drive these cars. Now the younger guys are driving them and getting rid of the damper so they can get more feel and better response from the clutch.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K so ima try it tomorrow and keep u guys posted
Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok it works fine now...threw a straight line with some bends and it responds a lot more....but my tranny is not all that good....I think its the fork...but I'm swapping it friday cuz it grinds in second and third
Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info man!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 PM
New User

hey guys... glad i found this thread.

i have a 2000 EX 5 speed and my dad has an '08 5 speed.

i noticed that my clutch is far more responsive than his is, for example, i rev match in my car and let the clutch out and its smooth, but in my dads car if i do it similarly, the engine revs will have dropped below the required speed by the time it actually engages.

I assumed that the '08 just had a sissy clutch damper, and mine had a subtle one, or none at all. is this the case? because i personally much prefer the clutch in my '00 to my dads '08, even though its pretty worn out with 155k of abuse... (including me learning how to drive the damn thing, which probably wasnt that bad considering id dirt biked before, but still...)

how do you guys feel about the heel-and-toe ability on the latest generation of cars? i thought the gas pedal was wierd at first, but now that ive driven it a bit i think it might be better once i get used to it. still cant do it as good as my '00 though because the damn clucth....
Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
It softens the feel and action of the clutch engagement. I think they put them in there so that the clutch engagement wasn't so harsh on the old guys that used to drive these cars. Now the younger guys are driving them and getting rid of the damper so they can get more feel and better response from the clutch.
I'm a little late on this but you are correct. Thats what my Auto Tech instructor says too. It helps smoothen out the clutch engagement.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone help me out i have a em1 b20v i changed just the clutch and it was fine for 3 days it ran like a champ but yesturday i left me house and i came to a stop and i tried puttining it into first and it grinded and i popped it out and after that the clutch went kinda soft and i cant put it iinto gear now when i push in the clutch theres little pressusre but its soft and i tired bleedint it but no luck.

any help???
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by homansem1
can anyone help me out i have a em1 b20v i changed just the clutch and it was fine for 3 days it ran like a champ but yesturday i left me house and i came to a stop and i tried puttining it into first and it grinded and i popped it out and after that the clutch went kinda soft and i cant put it iinto gear now when i push in the clutch theres little pressusre but its soft and i tired bleedint it but no luck.

any help???
Check your slave and master cylinder for leaks.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
Check your slave and master cylinder for leaks.
i did everyhting looks normal no leaks but my friend told me its my pressure plate.
could that be the problem?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did everyhting looks normal no leaks but my friend told me its my pressure plate.
could that be the problem?
Does it make any noise when its idling in neutral? How about when you depress the clutch pedal? does it make any noise then?

If its your pressure plate, I would think that your clutch pedal would chatter due to a pressure plate warpage while installing it one. But I don't think thats the case here though.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now since you brought that up i went to go check and its makes a sqeeking sound but i guess u could call it a chattering sound but when i clutch it it goes away and when i let it go it makes the noise agian.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this my clutch or clutch slave or maybe the tranny.
when i come to a stop and try to put it in 1st its hard to go in but once im driving and shifting gears its smooth but once im at a stop again its the same thing, but my when i have it in first the clutch would be in but the car is jerking trying to take off and the pedal would be all the way down. any info would be good i dont want to drop the tranny and change the clutch and it be something else
Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this my clutch or clutch slave or maybe the tranny.
when i come to a stop and try to put it in 1st its hard to go in but once im driving and shifting gears its smooth but once im at a stop again its the same thing, but my when i have it in first the clutch would be in but the car is jerking trying to take off and the pedal would be all the way down. any info would be good i dont want to drop the tranny and change the clutch and it be something else
i recently swapped in my accord an h23 trans from a lude. it was fine for the first week then this problem. it would not go into first at all. try to pump the pedal in neutral then see if it goes into first. if so, bleed the clutch line, and if that does nothing, see if your clutch engagement is too low and need to adjust the pedal up. if not you may need a slave cylinder. but if it does nothing when you pump the pedal, you may have a clutch issue.