Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   New to Honda's and forums... General Maintenance/easy DIY projects? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/new-hondas-forums-general-maintenance-easy-diy-projects-3032587/)

CyrustheVirus 02-29-2012 10:08 PM

New to Honda's and forums... General Maintenance/easy DIY projects?

Hello fellow Forum members,

My name is Cyrus and I'm a noobie to everything Honda. I just purchased a 1992 Honda Accord LX with an automatic transmission today for $800. The drive-train seems solid, brakes are fine, all lights work, heat and A/C work, and only has 156,xxx miles. It does have some problems that I will be fixing over time.

Today (03-01-12), I am getting the windshield replaced for $200. It was cracked from an act of vandalism, not an accident. I also plan on giving it a basic tune up, and new air filter for about $100.

Tomorrow (03-02-12), I plan on having exhaust from the headers back replaced because it's super old, and the hangers shake at an idle. Have a friend who will do it for $100. An oil change and multi-point inspection will also be done this day. After I get it back from the shop, ill give it a well needed detailing.

So after the before said work, is there any other maintenance, or things I should look for? I'm open to anything, because I have no clue about Honda's at all really.

Thanks in advance,
The Virus

Arthas 03-01-2012 03:06 PM

Re: New to Honda's and forums... General Maintenance/easy DIY projects?

I would replace the air filter, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, distributor o ring, oil change, and accessory belts.

Definitely look at your oil pan and see if that gasket needs replacing.

dglassmyer 03-01-2012 07:51 PM

Hello and welcome, it would be a good idea to pick up a service manual for your car if you plan on doing a significant amount of maintenance on it yourself.
The manual will go over tune up and routine maintenance along with a time frame as to when they should be performed.

The suggestions above are good places to start but I would also look into when the timing belt was last changed.
If you are unsure about how long its been err on the side of caution and change it sooner rather than repair it once it breaks.

One easy thing I always do when I get a "new" used car, is adjust the slack out of the throttle cable, it justice makes the car felt more responsive under acceleration.

CyrustheVirus 03-05-2012 01:52 PM

The valve cover gasket, and oil change are done. I did them last week. Ill be doing an air filter and tuneup next. I've just got to get some money first.

The oil pan does leak and ill replace that gasket after I repair the exhaust.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jdubu 03-06-2012 02:29 AM

Did new oil tube seals come with your gasket? If not it would be a good idea to replace the o rings at the bottom of the tubes if they show any wear. You'll see a bit of oil on your plugs if they are worn.

CyrustheVirus 03-12-2012 03:56 PM

I believe so. The gasket itself was pretty damn expensive.

professorman 03-12-2012 09:56 PM

Remember your PCV valve as well ~$3.

For a later to-do list, you could do the transmission fluid with Genuine Honda ATF fluid, thermostat change (Genuine Honda), coolant change, fuel filter, brakes fluid bleed (proper procedure followed). The timing belt/water pump change at 100k miles is super important though. I usually go ahead and replace all the accessible seals when doing the timing belt. Balancer shaft seal, crank seals, cam seals (i think)

When I get a car, I generally do basic tune up, and then drive it for a while to discover if any additional problems pop up. If it proves reliable, then I invest in a full tune up/change of all fluids and full fresh overhaul of maintenance items.