Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Need help!! Weird Noise from the rear of the car!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!! Weird Noise from the rear of the car!

Hey everyone, new to this form.
Currently have a 2002 Honda Accord V6, 99,500 km

Problem is when start driving, from 0km- 40 km/h the noise from the rear is not there or at least not noticeable, after it pass 40km/h, you can hear the noise (kinda like a vibration noise). Then when hit like 80km/h that noise become louder, like a cat back exhaust noise or like a rawing engine noise... but from the back. Car is stock (NO MOD at all).

Triple checked already that noise is from the back. Took it to a local shop, change the wheel bearing, did tire rotation, check its not brake squeaking. The Noise is still there. The tech/owner of that shop still has no idea what that is. He suggest to bring it to Honda dealer and see if they can found any thing.

I am just hoping to see if anyone have any experience like this with their honda. Any help will be appreciated
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help!! Weird Noise from the rear of the car!

I had a strange noise coming from the rear of my car. Found worn brake pads.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Trial User

Brake pad (All 4) was replace maybe like 6 months ago!
So break pad is a negative!

Any other suggestion anyone?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're ruled out the tires, wheel bearings, and brakes....there's not much else that it could be since it's dependent on vehicle speed and it's definitely coming from the back.

If it were mine, I'd try putting the donut spare on one side and then the other, which'll DEFINITELY rule out tires.

After that, I'd jack it up and spin the tires to see if the brakes are grabbing at any point. Although you checked the pads, the problem might lie in a badly warped rotor or a wheel bearing. Even though you just replaced the wheel bearings, I've seen new ones go bad right out of the box or the shop might've made an install error. Either way, the tires should spin freely.

After that, look behind the wheels and make sure it's not something simple like something rubbing on the tire/rim.

I would say to look at the exhaust but it shouldn't be that since the noise is speed dependent and not engine rpm dependent.

Are you getting any abnormal tire wear?
Have you had someone ride in the back seat and listen closely?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Trial User

I got my gf to sit in the back! However she can't 100% pin point which side. Also found out from my dad that the tech who replace the bearing only replaced one side! I asked my dad how did the tech know which side... my dad said he (the tech) just said is this side... so it might be the wrong side he replaced... I don't know yet. I am still thinking about bring it in to honda and see if they would know what noise that is.

Question again: with this type of thing, even when they plug in the code reader, they should not and will not found anything right? Usually when the check engine light is on, thats when dealers plug in the code reader and see what is wrong. Right?