Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Need help with transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with transmission fluid

I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX sedan VTEC automatic transmission. I’m unfamiliar with transmission fluid. My fluid seems very low on the dipstick and I like to fill it up to the recommenced level. However, I heard rumors that NEVER to add or mess with the fluid. I heard one rumor that you only add fluid after you drove the car for a certain amount of miles when the engine is hot. Well, today I like to know if there are proper procedures to adding fluids into my transmission because mine is low. - I also like to know the correct recommended fluid type for my vehicle. It’s a commute car so I always go fully synthetic on the motor oil, so I probably prefer decent brands. If anyone know the fluid type for my car, quarts amount, special procedures etc etc, let me know. Your advice and help will be highly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Need help with transmission fluid

If you know anything about the service record on the Honda, check to see if the fluid has ever been changed. Not sure of the miles recommended on your 5th generation, but on the 4th generation automatics, changing it every 30,000 miles is recommended. As for putting fluid in, other than having the car be warm, I don't think any special process is needed, but you can also check it when the engine is cold, but you should know how to read the dipstick.

Any good quality Dextron II fluid should work out. If you plan on doing-it-yourself, and don't have one, you should get a repair manual for your year, make and model, so you will know what to look for and how to find it.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:05 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Need help with transmission fluid

Originally Posted by Jones2011
I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX sedan VTEC automatic transmission. I’m unfamiliar with transmission fluid. My fluid seems very low on the dipstick and I like to fill it up to the recommenced level. However, I heard rumors that NEVER to add or mess with the fluid. I heard one rumor that you only add fluid after you drove the car for a certain amount of miles when the engine is hot. Well, today I like to know if there are proper procedures to adding fluids into my transmission because mine is low

Warm up the engine and drive the car around to warm up the trans fluid. Park the car, make sure to charge each gear for a few seconds, place the trans in Park and turn off the engine.
Hondas procedure for checking fluid is to verify the fluid is within the hash mark on the dipstick when fully warmed up w/engine off.
However I've noted on higher mileage transmissions this can lead to false readings as the fluid drains down quickly, excessively.
I live in a hilly area the trans seems to prefer it when the fluid is at the top of the hash mark.
I like to keep the engine running,(charged the gear circuits) pull the dipstick out and verify that the fluid is near the top of the hash mark.
If I don't the fluid will show over filled.
Wear a leather glove as the dipstick is next to the lower rad hose(HOT).
Pull the dipstick out , wipe it down, reinsert fully, remove and check the fluid level.

One problem with the H4A transmission is that there isn't a removable pan to access the ATF filter.
It is imperative to drain and change out the fluid at the designated intervals.
This is the only way to remove the junk and gunk that is in the fluid and to remove it from the sump, otherwise it will eventually buildup and impact the sump filter screen.
If it builds up enough the sump will become impacted and no fluid will flow, no flow, no go.
I prefer to simply drain and refill the sump every 10K miles.

Originally Posted by Jones2011
- I also like to know the correct recommended fluid type for my vehicle. It’s a commute car so I always go fully synthetic on the motor oil, so I probably prefer decent brands. If anyone know the fluid type for my car, quarts amount, special procedures etc etc, let me know. Your advice and help will be highly appreciated.
For the 90-97s Honda Premium or Dexron II can be used. Since both have been superceded use Honda DW or Dex III.
If you plan on doing a complete change and the trans has not been changed in a while, I would recommend doing the initial change using DexIII(can be purchsed by the gallon at most automotive stores) to clear out the majority of the old fluid, and if you prefer to use Honda DW-1 then replace the Dex III with it. Buy three gallons of Dex III for the intial clean out. Also note how much drains out. When new the sump is only 2.5Qt, but older units may drain out 3Qts from the sump(that excessive drain down mentioned earlier).