Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   At my wits end. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/my-wits-end-2928080/)

DCFIVER 05-02-2011 03:54 PM

Re: At my wits end.

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan (Post 45188063)
Interesting, never heard of this - any reason for it?

(Just curious)

Originally Posted by stang7043 (Post 45188140)
Ive read a few post / threads about this. And some people say not to some people say its ok. Since I had to extended the wiring I used it on the plug side but not on the o2 sensor side. From the threads Ive read people say the heat from the soldering iron can damage the o2 sensor or the soldering and wire metals are different and contract and expand at different rates. So that could break the solder joint. But I would like to know why also.

It has nothing to do with the solder material. It has to do with the fact that the O2 sensor uses reference oxygen derived from the path of the wire. Soldering the wire will inhibit the path an can/will give false or erroneous readings. Some O2 sensors use the body of the sensor itself to obtain the oxygen reference(denoted by holes/or slots in the body)

kegobeer 05-02-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by DCFIVER (Post 45189299)
It has nothing to do with the solder material. It has to do with the fact that the O2 sensor uses reference oxygen derived from the path of the wire. Soldering the wire will inhibit the path an can/will give false or erroneous readings. Some O2 sensors use the body of the sensor itself to obtain the oxygen reference(denoted by holes/or slots in the body)

I've never heard that before. I always thought the O2 sensor generated voltage based on the amount of mixture going over the tip. More oxygen = less voltage, more gas = more voltage. I thought the computer supplied the base voltage, and a good solder joint shouldn't affect that at all. Or am I way off base here?

DCFIVER 05-02-2011 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by kegobeer (Post 45189730)
I've never heard that before. I always thought the O2 sensor generated voltage based on the amount of mixture going over the tip. More oxygen = less voltage, more gas = more voltage. I thought the computer supplied the base voltage, and a good solder joint shouldn't affect that at all. Or am I way off base here?

Yes, way off base. The O2 sensor operation is based on the Nernst Principle. A simplified breakdown is that the disparities in oxygen levels between the reference air and exhaust stream generate their own voltage signals when they come into contact with the sensors heated ceramic center. The voltage serves as the index of how much the oxygen varies on the two sides of the sensor. The amount of residual oxygen in the exhaust stream fluctuates sharply with changes in the engines air/fuel ratio.

*This info excerpted from Bosch training*

kegobeer 05-02-2011 06:16 PM

Ok, I see. But how does soldering wires above the sensor come into play? If one side of the sensor is in the exhaust stream, the other end of the sensor is in "clean" air, the electrodes on each side provide the electrical output, and that voltage is sent to the computer, I'm not seeing how soldering the wires outside of the sensor would interrupt or impact the sensor operation. Is it the heat generated by the soldering iron going to screw up the electrodes, and if that's the case wouldn't a heat sink prevent that damage from happening?

I appreciate the schooling on how the O2 sensor works, DCFiver.

DCFIVER 05-02-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by kegobeer (Post 45190192)
Ok, I see. But how does soldering wires above the sensor come into play? If one side of the sensor is in the exhaust stream, the other end of the sensor is in "clean" air, the electrodes on each side provide the electrical output, and that voltage is sent to the computer, I'm not seeing how soldering the wires outside of the sensor would interrupt or impact the sensor operation. Is it the heat generated by the soldering iron going to screw up the electrodes, and if that's the case wouldn't a heat sink prevent that damage from happening?

I appreciate the schooling on how the O2 sensor works, DCFiver.

The reference air signal comes from the wire harness. The air travels the length of the wire and into the o2 sensor. If you were to slit an O2 in half you would see the wire travel all the way to the center element. I suppose you could solder the connection and then poke pin holes into the wire sheath. Of course then you expose the wires to the elements and corrosion will soon develop.

Lets make this easier, you will not find one "universal" O2 sensor with instructions to solder an O2. They specifically tell you to crimp and splice the wires. It would seem to be wisest to utilize the parts manufacturers instructions would it not???

kegobeer 05-03-2011 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by DCFIVER (Post 45190806)
Lets make this easier, you will not find one "universal" O2 sensor with instructions to solder an O2. They specifically tell you to crimp and splice the wires. It would seem to be wisest to utilize the parts manufacturers instructions would it not???

I agree - if the instructions are to crimp it, then that's what should be done.