Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

my 89 accord lx 5spd has major issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 89 accord lx 5spd has major issues

alright..heres the deal...
#1. Lately, sometimes when i turn on the car the heater nor the stereo will work. If i shut it off and then turn it back on the heater will work but i have to turn on the stereo and then the heater will stop working. My stereo did blow the remote line from it..dont know if that could be a problem...it is an aftermarket pioneer cd player.

#2. Sometimes in the cold weather...no matter if the car is heated up or not...the engine will not idle below 2grand. Sometimes it will idle around 3grand. Usually if i can get it to kick down before i drive anywhere for the first time that day it will be fine for the rest of the day.

#3 When driving down the freeway, the car will occasionally start to lose power...this is few and far between but its happened a couple times and its kinda creepy....its starts to bog down and run really crappy and eventually i have to stop because i can no longer gain speed. Usually if i shut it off and let it rest for a bit it will be fine...the car has not overheated on me yet.

#4 I just installed a new battery...the best i could find (800CA, 725CCA) and today it acted like the battery was low and was turning over slower than normal...once i got it started it was fine and i no longer had a problem. After i was done at the business i was at, the car would not start. It turned over just fine at normal speed but would not fire. Eventually after about a half hour of sporadically attempting to start it it did fire and ran fine.

So if you guys have any answers for these problems, i would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my 89 accord lx 5spd has major issues (89accordlx)

#2 Your choke may be sticking. Get a can of carbuerator cleaner and spray all of the inside of the carb out thoroughly.
#3 Happened to me just a few days ago. Was it rainy,snowy or very humid? It was very rainy out when it happened to me and I was thinking it may be the plug wires were old and the moisture was grounding them to the engine so that the spark wasn't gettting to the plugs. (This happened on an older car of mine many years ago which leads me to this theory)
#4 When's the last time you've given it a tuneup? Mine had the fuel pump go and it stalled and wouldn't start. Then it did and then it didn't. You may have a weak alternator. It may be putting out enough juice to keep the charge light happy but in the winter there are much higher demands on the electrical system. The rear defrost, heater blower at full tilt, wipers, headlights not to mention when the battery is cold the voltage is much lower in general causing even more of a strain on the alternator. I had mine hooked up to a tester and it tested fine and then a couple days later it completely died. It's not easy to replace either-major PITA.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my 89 accord lx 5spd has major issues (Stew Pidasso)

1) who installed the headunit? If you don't know, I'd be willing to bet that there is a complete hack job done to your wire harness behind the head unit. sounds like there is a short somewhere back there. pull it apart and start tracing wires around.