Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

mechanic replaced my rack and pinion but used wrong fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanic replaced my rack and pinion but used wrong fluid

Car: 2002 Honda Accord LX 2.3L

Power steering rack was leaking after requesting to swap out our catayltic converter.

It was making terrible noises and we knew that was the source. So we got a new one but had problems with the bolts. So I took it to my mechanic to replace. He did it but then said your steering rack is cooked. I looked at it and yea, the boots had failed because fluid was leaking from either side.

Work was done, realigned for free, even the labor for swapping the cat was removed from the bill. Got the car home opened the hood and to complete disappointment and faith in my mechanic, I see a bottle left under the hood open and leaking. Luckily the car doesn't have ABS so the bottle had a place to live, lol. I didn't think much of it until I read the bottle. "PYROIL Power Steering fluid" They do make a fluid for Hondas but this isn't it as is explicitly says on the back "NOT FOR USE IN HONDA/ACURA VEHICLES".

I nearly exploded. I know how critical getting the honda power steering fluid is on a honda. To not have put in the right one is so bad I don't know how to tell them how to rectify the situation. I already dropped the car off this morning with a note explaining the situation and what the hell have you done? The car has already run for 40 miles with this fluid, its screwed already isn't it?

They're going to replace and flush the fluid, but what else do I ask for. There's like a 70% chance the power steering pump or rack will fail relatively soon because of this. Should I ask them to re-replace the rack? Ask them to extend the warranty to beyond the 1 year warranty?

The tires are severely unbalanced, should I ask them to do that in compensation of this pain in the a$$ situation its put me in? Or am I being over the top and its not that big a deal?

Let me know what you think and what you would do, because I was a wreck yesterday.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: mechanic replaced my rack and pinion but used wrong fluid

So I walked up to my mechanic this morning and the owner said he couldn't believe they did that because they have on stock fluid for hondas. They're going to flush it twice with a flushing solution and then add the proper power steering fluid. And the whole system is under warranty now.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Pray to god that **** fails within the time of the warranty so that you can take it back to that idiot...
Old 01-12-2017, 05:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think after a couple drain and fills it'll be fine. The fluid won't immediately destroy the rack.