Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member

Hi, new honda owner. I have had may cars in my days but only one honda so far and it was a 89 honda accord lx 5spd. i had it for about 2 years and gave it to my brother... well now im the proud owner of a 93 accord wagon ex. auto.
i have a few bugs in it. but plan to work on them with you guys help.... but to star what are the things to do to it for startes. the wagon runs preaty good but the only thing that wories me is the idle. when its running and comes down to idle at a stop. i seams to come to a too low idle for a few seconds and then kinds of evens out. this is more notable with the a/c on. Need to clean intakes and sensors? or tcu problem?

I mention the tcu because my other problem is i think, the trans is shifting some times after too long. specially 2nd and 3rd, could this be also part of sensors dirty or trans computer?.

Thanks in advance for your answers...
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new member

Hello and welcome.
With any new purchase of a well used car its always a good idea to do your basic tune-up maintenance unless you know for certain it had been recently done by the previous owner.
Start with new plugs and wires cap and rotor and adjust your ignition timing if needed.
A compression test will also give you some insight into the internal condition of the motor.
Apparently the tcu does tend to go bad on these model year cars, I have seen it mentioned in other posts on this site.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, now the hole reason to buy this car when out the window. I had a preaty good running toyota truck and sold it because it had no ac. and now after repairng a bad rear signal light for some reason the a/c fan blower is not working!!!! so if i cant fix it rader easy and cheap im putting it back on craigs list...
Old 07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go pick up a blower motor at your local bone yard simple fix and inexpensive. Take a cordless drill battery and some wires to jump the motor to test it before you pull it.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, maybe i jumped the gun. I've been driving the wagon and it rides preaty good. so im thinking of going ahead and give the old girl a chance. for now im going to buy a window motor and the ac blower. and fix it. next have to se how to fix the sun roof the motor makes a noice but it does not open. any ideas? well beside those things i also have to figure out why the idle goes so low when i stop on a light. any help would be apreciated...