Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

LOUD vibration after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 LOUD vibration after timing belt change

I just replaced the timing belt, balance belt, water pump, and timing belt tensioner in my 1998 Accord, 4 cylinder.

After putting everything back together and firing it up, I heard a whining noise. As I was trying to locate the noise, it turned into a groan. I quickly turned off the engine. I removed all the accessory belts, thinking one of those may have been over-tightened... After re-starting the engine, there was an EXTREMELY loud vibration reverberating in the cabin.

After doing some searching and reading, I'm afraid I probably over-tightened the timing belt. I already tried loosening (then re-tightening) the tensioning nut, and it didn't make a difference.

Now, I'm planning to go back to the the timing and balance belts, and confirm that all of the timing marks still line up, but I wonder if there's something obvious that I've overlooked? Could I have damaged the tensioner bearing or water pump from running the motor for around a minute total? Maybe I made a mistake with the timing of the balancer belt? Seems like that wouldn't explain the whining then groaning at the beginning.

I just wonder if anyone has seen or heard of this before, and could give me a tip as to what I should be looking for, or how to diagnose the issue.

I've heard that you can run the motor without the balance belt at all. Maybe I'll try that, and see if the vibration lessens...

A mistake with the mount couldn't have caused this, right?

Any advice is welcome.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOUD vibration after timing belt change

As long as you only used the tensioner spring to add tension to the timing belt you should be ok. if you loosened the timing belt tens. bolt to bleed of any additional tension you may have manually applied your probably in the clear as far as tension goes. Check your crank pulley to make sure the its not rubbing the timing cover. the lower cover is really hard to pull out and sometimes gets a little distorted from pulling it out. this sometimes rubs the crank pulley. it would be a good thing to just pop off the timing cover and check the marks and make sure the tension or any loose bolts weren't missed. Just for peice of mind.

you can run the engine w/o the balance shaft belt. doesn't make much of a differance.. but since you have one why not keep it on.

when you say a mistake with the mount what do you mean by that. I dont understand how you could of put the mount in wrong. maybe you ran the engine w/o the mount? the crank pulley could be contacting the frame? all shots in the dark but i hope this helps you.

gl
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Trial User

bigkvn77, thanks for the ideas!

I probably overtensioned the t-belt by turning the crank pulley bolt before tightening down the tensioner nut. I'd read that doing that (3 teeth) helps take up some of the slack, and it definitely made it very tight!. (Side note: the balance tensioner seemed really loose, despite putting in a new spring. I gave that one a little "help" with my thumb)

Man, it would be such a relief if it was "just" the crank pulley rubbing the timing belt cover. Thought never crossed my mind! I am pretty sure I had all the bolts in snug, but definitely a great idea!

I was just thinking about trying it without the balance belt, just to see if it made a difference with the problem, since I'm trying to track down the cause of the noise.

With the mount: I never really looked up the instructions for it, thinking that it looks really simple. But on the bar that connects the engine and the mount, there's a bolt that goes through to a swiveling thing that contacts the rubber of the mount, I think. I wasn't really able to figure out how it's supposed to work, or if I'd reinstalled it correctly.

It'll be a little while before I can report back, as it's illegal here in Germany to "work" on Sunday, particularly in public.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That little bar you described under the engine mount bracket...

I recall doing a timing belt once where I allowed that bar to contact the body of the engine mount. It made a very loud vibration. Actually scared me a bit at first.

To fix it I simply loosened the nut, rotated the bar a bit so it wasn't making contact and tightened the nut again. Problem solved.

Might be worth looking into.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"illegal" to work in Germany on Sunday? What is the basis for that law?
Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by phootbag
That little bar you described under the engine mount bracket...

I recall doing a timing belt once where I allowed that bar to contact the body of the engine mount. It made a very loud vibration. Actually scared me a bit at first.

To fix it I simply loosened the nut, rotated the bar a bit so it wasn't making contact and tightened the nut again. Problem solved.
Bingo! That was it!!!

I'm soooooooo relieved... Thanks so much!!!!!

By the way, I don't know what the basis of the law is, but one can only assume it has a religious origin. See this page, item number 2, if you're interested:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2147422_survive-in-germany.html

At least I can enjoy the rest of my Sunday now with peace of mind. Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello. I'm new to this website and not exactly sure how everthing works but... I'm having the exact same problem you guys are talking about. I had my water pump, timing belt, and all the pulley belts replaced on my 98 Honda Civic. While the mechanic had those out he noticed the upper and lower engine mounts were busted and cracked. He replaced them both. The car runs great now with the exception of a LOUD vibration felt throughout the car. Any way you guys could give me more detailed instructions or pictures of this bar touching the mount? I have a strong suspicion that it is the culprit to my problem.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by californium
Hello. I'm new to this website and not exactly sure how everthing works but... I'm having the exact same problem you guys are talking about. I had my water pump, timing belt, and all the pulley belts replaced on my 98 Honda Civic. While the mechanic had those out he noticed the upper and lower engine mounts were busted and cracked. He replaced them both. The car runs great now with the exception of a LOUD vibration felt throughout the car. Any way you guys could give me more detailed instructions or pictures of this bar touching the mount? I have a strong suspicion that it is the culprit to my problem.
You might want to post this in the civic forum.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Trial User

I had the same problem a few days ago after I changed the timing and balancer belts, and water pump on my '00 Accord. I nearly pulled my hair out for 24 hours before discovering this thread. The solution described above - loosening the clamp - solved the problem. So I have this question for everyone: What is the function of this little clamp and how should it be installed? I failed to take a good look at it when I took off the motor mount at the beginning of the job. It seems clear that if it's installed tightly against the mount, it is bypassing the rubber part of the mount and effectively disabling the dampening effect of the mount.