Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Loud Creeking Sound When Turning Steering Wheel???!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Creeking Sound When Turning Steering Wheel???!!??

new sound sprung out of nowhere...when i got home and i was about to put the car in the garage. i noticed a semi-loud creeking sound when i turn the steering wheel...(it makes this sound even when the car is OFF!) it is coming from the engine bay area more twards the passenger side. i turned off the car to listen to the sound more closely. when i turn the steering wheel either left of right it makes that creeking sound. sounds like when you slowly open a door and the hinges make that creeking sound.

4 info on my car just look at my SIG. thanks to anyone that helps me out.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud Creeking Sound When Turning Steering Wheel???!!?? (Tech-Nics)

Good Luck figuring it out. It has happened to my 4th gen (does it everyday) and now to my 5th gen. In the 4th gen I replaced all front sway bar bushings, out tie rods, and ball joints, and lower control arms. It is mostly noticed in the winter in the cold temps, and goes away in the warm weather
Old 03-09-2007, 10:20 AM

yeah and it has been about 8-30 degress outside for the past few weeks now. but it just started making this sound today....
Old 03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its not the inner tie rods, you might want to have the steering rack looked at. For something like that to be replaced, I'd go with honda genuine parts only. Any thing aftermarket and you might run into the same problem again in the future!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud Creeking Sound When Turning Steering Wheel???!!?? (accordcd_7)

check your cv boots for a rip. mine ripped and now i have the click.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:17 PM

i know for sure its not my CV boots i checked both of them already and i just had the passenger side one replaced like 2 weeks ago. and driver side is fine. the sound is coming from right behind that metal plate thats behind the brake disc.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tech-Nics)

Yeah, you replaced the boots, But what about the cv joints?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM

i didnt just place the boot. i replaced the whole axle shaft. the sound is coming from behind the plate that is behind the brake disc.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (accordcd_7)

THe sound he is talking about which I here daily sounds nothing liek the notorious click of a bad CV Joint. It is a shreeking sort of noise that sounds like a door in a Haunted House.

I also get a sort of clunking noise when I go over bumps in the road, that noise still remains in the 4th gen. Love the Cold Weather
Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jack the front end up off the ground then turn the steering wheel. if the noise goes away or gets quieter the cause of your noise is your strut mounts. its very common on hondas for those mounts to go bad.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 PM

jdmracer12. yes i jacked up my front end earler today and when i turned the steering wheel the noise went away. it seems it only makes that sound when all the weight on the wheels. so it proberly is the strut mounts. thanks for the input. if there is anything else i should possibly know, please tell me.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is your ball joints. happened on mine, but i didn't have anyone to help me out till my right lower ball joint snapped turning into a walmart parking lot. i'm about 90% positive that is your problem because i had the exact same problem. honda couldn't figure it out, so they said it was my teins.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud Creeking Sound When Turning Steering Wheel???!!??

Hey my 96 EX coupe just started making this exact same noise; did you ever get to the bottom of it? It only makes the noise with weight in the car it feels like. I checked my P/S levels and the fluid is brand new, no leaks...and it is very cold where I live in the fall and winter.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

That's the noise mine is making, I found this vid on YouTube
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same problem on my 98 integra. I think it is directly related to the cold weather as mine just started a few weeks ago
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

raise the car on a drive on lift, such as an alignment rack. have someone turn the steering wheel and use a stethescope to identify the noise. most likely cause is a friction in a lower ball joint. you could use a grease needle and shoot some grease into the ball joint, but the ball joint should be replaced.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same issue, most likely cv axles or boots
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

power steering is messed up?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hon2984
raise the car on a drive on lift, such as an alignment rack. have someone turn the steering wheel and use a stethescope to identify the noise. most likely cause is a friction in a lower ball joint. you could use a grease needle and shoot some grease into the ball joint, but the ball joint should be replaced.
This and I vote lower ball joints.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently replaced my ball joints too with a couple called Parts Extra or something like that, and they just started making a whining sound as well, but it took about a 500 miles to start making the sound. I am replacing them with some beck arnley's tomorrow. I will update if the sound goes away. Also, I noted when I pulled the driver side knuckle that the ball joint rubber appears to have part of it completely separated. It's hard to explain it's like part of the rubber has kinda raised up away from the ball joint. It did it on both sides.

I vote for ball joint, especially if you put a cheap one.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

creeks and noises could be 100 different things.. i would check ure bushings over for cracks and rips and brakes.. check ure control arms, tie rods dont really creek. check ure ball joints also
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would bet on the lower ball joint as others have - had the same problem earlier this year, & the ball joint was the suspect. Nothing else - they definitely need to be checked.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Trial User

Wow! All of a sudden this morning when I started my car (City Honda IVTECH) it gave a creeking sound. More like a clicking sound when the wheel was turned. I am a worried man.
Right now the Honda breakdown has been prompt and have towed the vehicle for a check up.
Hope the issue is small like the drying of of the ball joints which can be lubricated and brought back to order.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A creeking sound can be a ball joint(either upper or lower) that has leaked all grease out and is now metal on metal. Best thing to do is to isolate the ball joint by separating it on its own and turning it. You will hear and feel it creek if it's bad. You might be able to see grease if the boot is cracked or around the outer.

I bought an upper ball joint from Dorman that was bad out of the box. It was already creeking when I installed it and noticed it when I went to put it into the upper knuckle.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this very same noise on my Honda Type R, every time I turned the steering wheel it was creaking. Took it to several garages and they couldn't work it out everyone said it was the steering rack. About a week later I went to turn a corner at 15mph and the wheel ripped out and went 90 degrees in the arch taking the drive shaft out of the box as well, it ended up being the lower ball joint. Unlucky for me, when the drive shaft ripped out it demolished the LSD as well (bye bye Type R).
Hope you manage to get it sorted out pal.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually the lower BJ is the culprit to the creeking. check these by spraying some wd-40 on them if it goes away after spraying them, u know they are bad.
rule of thumb, if ur replacing one side, might as well replace the other side. for me its peace of mind!!

Quick Reply: Loud Creeking Sound When Turning Steering Wheel???!!??