Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

KYB STRUT-PLUS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default KYB STRUT-PLUS

Any other members install these on their 90-97 Accord?

Picked up the 'KYB 4SR4048SR4050' kit from Rock Auto last week and installed them. This is the 'suspension kit' that RA offers and saves you a few bucks over piecemealing the four struts(SR4047-SR4048-SR4049-SR4050) individually. With the RA 5% off that covered shipping and got the kit for $360 to the door. Not bad. These are the 'new' EXCEL-G line that replaced the older GR-2 series.

In my coupe the GR-2s were already in the car. AFAIK these may be the original shock, doubt the original owner changed them.

Rear shocks are an inch longer than existing. This is not spring related, the shock is physically longer.
As for the rear springs, they are some form of cargo coil with the three 'dead' coils, the spring itself also has an extra winding compared to the originals that came out. Not sure if the spring wire itself is thicker as it appears to have a coating.
Ride is definitely firmer, rear of the car is higher, but not annoying. Actually no longer being blinded by new car headlights at night.

Front shocks were not longer/taller than the GR-2's that came out, but there front springs do have an extra coil and seemed to be of thicker wire.

I'll post measurements at a later date. I took before and after fender height measurements, measured the front shock length, rear shock length, and wire diameter. Looking at the new car brochures for the 94-97 Coupes the car now sits as they were when new. Before this the top of my tires(factory wheels 195/60R15) were even with the top arch of the fender lips. On one hand this fixes the camber issue the car has had for years but it did lose it's nice lowered look it had.

Just wondering if anyone else has used the KYB EXCEL-Gs and noted any difference from their original shock sizes. If you used a Strut-Plus kit did you notice differences in springs/shocks?

Biggest annoyance I found was on the front upper shock mount, upper mount stud diameters were increased in size, which barely fit the existing holes.
Also the left and right shocks came with different nuts, so when you open the hood you will see the driver side has a large set of flanged nuts and the passenger side has a smaller flanged set. A minor detail but I see it and it irks me.

Plan on calling/emailing KYB next week to find out why the changes. I'm guessing KYB just made a single strut plus to cover all the models.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: KYB STRUT-PLUS

I know this is an old thread but I ordered the KYB strut plus SR4048 that’s the drivers side but the passenger side has been on backorder for about 2 months now. I don’t know it will be coming in, would you recommend Gabriel, Monroe or Moog? I wanted to try the KYB but I’ve had everything disassembled for too long now and the rain is coming soon can’t have stuff rust out on me.