Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

KOYO RADIATOR REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KOYO RADIATOR REVIEW

Some may remember I was completely disgusted last week about the fact I had spent some BIG bucks on a radiator, and when it arrived half of the drilled/threaded holes for fan attachements did not align. I was a good boy and never dissed the maker in the post- just stated it was the maker of HP all aluminum radiators and the company name started with an "F". I sent the unit back and ordered a Koyo as the replacement. Here are some observations and a review of the Koyo unit-

First, to save money, I admit I buy parts on the internet. I never buy cheaper e-bay type stuff, almost always only OEM Honda or well researched parts. I might recommned if you buy a radiator that was like mine, with attachment points for two different fans, plus maybe AC coolant line hookups, you NOT buy over the internet.

The problem is radiators cost $$$$ for shipping. Radiators are bulky and heavy, the shipping can kill you if it goes back. For a radiator you might be better off paying more locally, but being able to "site-measure" all the mounting points BEFORE buying the unit. If you buy internet, even if you get reimbursed for the shipping, you will be out a lot of time. As I said, I shop the net for most of my parts, but next time I will buy a radiator locally. Just something to think about here.

Now for the Koyo- the judges give the Koyo an----- A+!

I inspected the unit very carefully. The welds are all very symmetrical, clean and "tight". All the metals used on the unit seem to absolutlely top-quality. All the small gauge cooling fins were perfect, ZERO crushed or bent. When I was younger I used to weld, I have an engineering background, and I have been working on cars and buying parts for 30+ years. This is GOOD STUFF. Of corse the real test will be after it has been in the car for 5 years!

Those who know me here know I never get caught up in "brand-ego/snobbery" or state I like something just "because I bought it". I have even admitted some of the AM parts (a very few) on my car I don't like, I would not use them again. The materials used on this radiator look to be of very high quality, and the unit looks extremely well made. Good job, Koyo!

Another factor for some of you to think about. I'm getting ready to build the engine, so I need some increased cooling and pressure handling needs, so the cost of the rad is justified. The OEM original was pushing 14 years when it started to leak.

It had never leaked, but started slowly last winter after 1) we oved to +7000 ft from sea-level (gross vapor-pressure change) and 2) moved to where the temp can swing from 40F during the day to -20F at night (wild changes in temps/expansion-contraction cycles of the rad unit).

Now, even if I hadn't needed a street performance radiator, a good OEM Honda would have cost around $250 with shipping, I checked. I LIKE OEM Honda parts, but my guess is the wild temp changes/pressure changes in a rad here would limit the life to maybe, say, 6-10 years. I paid around $360 for this Koyo, and my guess is the all metal/aluminum build will allow for twice that length of life. So, if we kept the car for many more years, I can easily justify the cost due to weather here. In short, the difference in price will "pay for itself" form a much longer life. This argument can't be used for most parts, but crazy temp swings with high altitude pressure changes can really kill anything that operates under pressure.

This last part I included for some of you younger guys. I have found, from my years of experience, what appers to be a "more expensive part" may PROVE TO BE CHEAPER! Not only that, but you don't have to crawl around under the car again busting your *** to replace the "same part that failed again". A few things to think about- Wrenchy
Old 12-14-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Koyo radiators. They are extremely high quality, well-made, and IMO are actually very affordable. All of the guys I knew running aftermarket radiators in their RX-7's were running the Koyo aluminum radiators and absolutely loved them.