Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Key get stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key get stuck

Recently, my key get stuck in the ignition switch intermittent. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Key get stuck (novice00)

search in the archives.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Key get stuck (Broman78)

How old is your car? Mine did that to me and I had to replace the ignition.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Key get stuck (Slamd4GAccrd)

Mine is 96. Did you replace the ignition switch by yourself? I did use search but the archive is disabled.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Recently, my key get stuck in the ignition switch intermittent. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.
If it's an automatic, make sure the "p" light on the dash is comeing on.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Key get stuck (TurboD16Chiovnidca)

you kinda have to push the key in a little too.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:16 PM

I think that is a common problem on the 5G's. Consult your dealer.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:15 PM

The problem you are having is most likely due to the SHIFT SELECTOR SWITCH going bad. It is located in the console on the driver's side. It is below the shifter it self and has a gang of wires going to it.

When it is working properly ... you should see the "P" lit up when you go into PARK. If you stop and look at the dash when you are experiencing this problem ... you will probably see that the "P" is not lit at that point. If that is the case ... this is definately your problem.

If you are at all mechanically inclined ... this is not a hard job to do. All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver and a 1/4" ratchet with a 10 mm socket and possibly a short extension. You need to remove the console. Once you have the console out ... you will see the switch on the driver's side of the console. It is connected by 2 nuts. The only thing you have to watch is when putting it back on ... you have to be sure that the shifter is in NEUTRAL ... as the new switch is shipped in the NEUTRAL position. Not a big deal if you are off some as the switch will move ... but best to do it that way if you can. Once you hook the new switch up and reconnect the wires ... BEFORE tightening it all the way ... just snug it down ... just enough so you can slide it (left or right if you are facing it ... front to back in reference to the vehicle). Turn your key on and you should see the "N" light lit. Now move the shifter into each of the gears and each should light as the detent of the shifter hits that point. Once you have it in PARK ... push on the brake pedal with your hand ... you should hear a "CLICK" and that will let you know that it is getting the signal. Snug it down at this point and then run through the gears one more time. If everything is kewl ... put the console back in and you are done.

Hope that has been of some help to you and that my explanation is ok.

Item number 4 in this picture ... http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=SELECT+LEVER

[Modified by mwkirchner, 8:41 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Key get stuck

Thank You Very Much.....this was my solution.......once I know to look for the lited "P" on the dash when in park, bingo! this is after replacing the ignition key assy. The old key assy. was shot anyway for the hassles of trying to get the key out. Thanks again