Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Just another TURBO charged (F22B1) CD5 build log

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just another TURBO charged (F22B1) CD5 build log

Originally Posted by Aradin
Don't get functions. Not 100% sure about Type 2s but Type 1s ride like ****. Go Koni yellow/ground control setup or if you must have some one pieces look into some D2s or KSports. Spring rate and suspension travel are gonna be paramount to ride comfort. Too stiff and you're gonna get beat up all the time. Not good for a daily. Too soft and you won't be getting the performance you want. It's about finding a balance for the intended purpose of the car. You can order ground controls with whatever spring rates you want. You want stiffer in the front and softer in the rear. I run 10k front 8k rear with KYB AGX(the red adjustable performance shocks) and it's great for the street on 75% stiffness with about 1" left of lowering headroom.
Aradin thx for this ^^^... As I was reading the post I was getting ready to ask if I could run GC's on the KYB's and then you mentioned your own setup. I don't have the AGX's but KYB's (Exels iirc?)are what I'm currently running and they're relatively new still, maybe 1yr old? So how does it work; I just order the spring rates I want and they'll just slip over my current struts? Because from what I understand GC's are WAY cheaper than the one-piece setups and that would be ideal for me.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
Mine does look a little lower than yours. Mine is about 1.5 front and rear. I used stiff rear springs because I sometimes carry a lot of stuff in the trunk when I travel. When the pic above was taken I was on the way to Tenn. and the car was loaded. My big problem is the front tire contacting the fender when I am turning into a drive. With the setup I have now, there is rarely any contact. Unless I hit a pothole when turning.
I'm now with you on this 100%... now that I've had them on a little longer I may have jumped the gun a bit on the no rubbage statement?... for the most part there's none, especially on the passenger side. But on the driver's side (with my fat *** in the seat) I get a slight touch on the inside of the front wheel well at full left turn lock (which I still think is due in part to the bent subframe/K-member) and I've also now had a few occurrences where I'm turning to the right, hitting a large dip and traveling at a good clip (all at the same time), and that's caused some rubbage on driver's side too. So I'm pretty sure it's all going to boil down to fixing the bent subframe/K-member and running a better suspension setup along with some better weight management. I currently have a battery bank in the trunk and it's mostly on the driver's side too. I always thought the weight of the sub/box and the amps would offset it, but for some reason I didn't account for my own weight? Doh!!! I love to get a decent suspension and then have it thoroughly corner balanced but the latter will most likely never happen..?

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
Nice numbers! I'd love to go FI one day but I doubt that will ever happen.
Thx man! And you be surprised how much you can do for very little money and if you don't go too crazy the F-series stock bottom end can handle some okay power. I only went as far as I did for the reliability and the option to go bigger if I decided to. And, in the grand scheme of things, I did it all pretty darn cheap, but it did take me nearly 2-3yrs to get it done that way. Idk? I just know I used to think the exact same thing, like: "man I'd love to boost this thing but it'll probably never happen" and in that way I was my own worst enemy. If you ever do decide to go that route, and there's anything at all I can help you out with, don't hesitate to hmu and I'll do my best to help you out as best I can. If it weren't for this forum and the other members here doing the same for me I NEVER would've been able to pull this off so I'm always willing to try and pay it fwd. GL with whatever you decide and thx again for the compliments
Old 08-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeMajors19082
Aradin thx for this ^^^... As I was reading the post I was getting ready to ask if I could run GC's on the KYB's and then you mentioned your own setup. I don't have the AGX's but KYB's (Exels iirc?)are what I'm currently running and they're relatively new still, maybe 1yr old? So how does it work; I just order the spring rates I want and they'll just slip over my current struts? Because from what I understand GC's are WAY cheaper than the one-piece setups and that would be ideal for me.
You can do that but you will be limited to how low you can go on those shocks before risk of damage. I would keep it around a 1" drop over stock max or you run a high risk of blowing the shocks out. The Excels(previously the GR-2 line) are only meant as an OE replacement part. Not performance oriented. Also using any remotely aggressive spring rates with them will result in a very bouncy ride. Not ideal by a long shot. It's important to have the shocks and springs matched appropriately. As far as installing them, yes they just fit in place of your stock springs. You would reuse your OEM tophats and all of that. The ground controls will have a shorter spring but will sit over an adjustable threaded sleeve with locking collars to adjust ride height.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
You can do that but you will be limited to how low you can go on those shocks before risk of damage. I would keep it around a 1" drop over stock max or you run a high risk of blowing the shocks out. The Excels(previously the GR-2 line) are only meant as an OE replacement part. Not performance oriented. Also using any remotely aggressive spring rates with them will result in a very bouncy ride. Not ideal by a long shot. It's important to have the shocks and springs matched appropriately. As far as installing them, yes they just fit in place of your stock springs. You would reuse your OEM tophats and all of that. The ground controls will have a shorter spring but will sit over an adjustable threaded sleeve with locking collars to adjust ride height.
Again bro, BIG Thanks for this info... Now with this I see that the cost is comparable to 1-piece setups because you have to purchase a new shock/strut to go along with the coil overs. In your previous post you mentioned the Bilsteins, would you say those are comparable to your adjustable AGX's or were you recommending those from a more budget friendly perspective? Thx again
Old 08-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

edited

Last edited by LeeMajors19082; 08-10-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Stillen lip and rockers are a total game changer. I'll have to take some better pics of the Stillen rockers (side-skirts) because apparently they're not that popular, as I've been unable to find any other 5th gens with them? They're similar to the Mugen rockers but not as... simple/clean? They look good to me though. I also opted out of using the Stillen rear valence and I'm looking for something to fill that void... any suggestions? Thx yall
Old 08-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick accord man! I love how that stillen stuff looks. Btw, what turbocharger are you using on yours? What's the specs on it?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bfordy
Sick accord man! I love how that stillen stuff looks. Btw, what turbocharger are you using on yours? What's the specs on it?
Thx man! I'm running a Turbonetics 5857 from GoAutoworks and to be completely honest... it's WAY too big for my current application. Now when I upgrade the valvetrain and cam it'll be a bit more appropriate, but even then I've got no intentions of getting anywhere near it's rated power (575hp). I ought to sell it now since i just had it rebuilt, and find something in the 375hp-425hp range that'll spool a lot quicker and still make the same power I'm making now...? I don't see full boost until nearly 4000rpm and F's only rev to 7k! If I could drop that peak spool down to 3000rpm and still make the power I'm currently making I'd be in heaven! But it's all about finding the right turbo... and then of course being able to afford it. And then it's not just the cost of the turbo it's the labor I gotta put in and then the money to have it tuned AGAIN, etc..etc..etc. I think I'm kinda over it right now? Idk? If you know anybody with a decent smaller turbo, that would work for me, who's looking to upgrade to something a bit bigger and is willing to trade lmk!? lol! I got all the paperwork and documentation of the rebuild from BoostLabs and it's got less than 500mi on it since it was done! lol! Seriously though, idk what I'm doing at this point? I really like the power where it's at but I just wish it came on a bit quicker.

And now since doing the lip kit, she's stalling at idle!? Not always but occasionally and seems to be getting worse..? Like, it started with a surging kind of thing at idle, where it'd go up and down between maybe 1000rpm and 500rpm, but now it drops so low that it's actually stalling? Especially when it's warming up, and if I hold the throttle in a bit and then let off it drops till it stalls, it's pretty frustrating.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have any of you seen this rear valence? It's a Stillen piece specifically for the CD chassis and I'm just curious as to how rare this thing really is?

Old 08-12-2017, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Similar, but not the same. This is usually available on Ebay.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it turns out that there are some very subtle variations between the 94-95 and 96-97 rear bumpers. I've always known there was differences in the tail lights and trunk lids but never knew the bumpers were different? So unfortunately the Stillen rear lip won't fit on my bumper without some slight modification. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do yet but I'll update as soon as I do.

Now, has anyone ever replaced/installed a fuel pump and upgraded the factory wiring and relay? I've been told and read on some other threads that the Walbro 255 doesn't do well on the factory wiring and the last time I was on the dyno this issue came up so I'm looking to upgrade it... can anyone link me to a walkthrough or pm me with some insight into this, plz? Thx in advance
Old 08-18-2017, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just change your bumper to a 96-97 one?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just change your bumper to a 96-97 one?
They don't fit the 94-95's in the rear.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Just picked up a Xenon kit for my build and it says that it will work on 94-97 4 cylinder CD chassis. I know there are design differences between 94-95 & 96-97 front bumper cover and grills, never noticed the difference in the rear covers. That being said, they all share the same mounting points and are interchangeable. I have no idea about the V6 stuff, never looked into the differences.

Here is the rear lip for the kit that I bought, thankfully it is poly and not fiberglass.

by GhostAccord, on Flickr
Old 08-19-2017, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LeeMajors19082
They don't fit the 94-95's in the rear.
I would have thought that they were the same. Other than the differences in the trunk lid which seem in the way the tag mounts and the lift springs work.. But I have never actually tried to interchange them.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have thought that they were the same. Other than the differences in the trunk lid which seem in the way the tag mounts and the lift springs work.. But I have never actually tried to interchange them.
Me either until last week and I always thought they were swappable?... at first glance the bumpers look identical! lol! But the 96-97's are just a bit wider it seems. Yea, so I'm totally bummed about that. And now I really gotta address the fuel pump, but on my car (in-trunk access port is blocked off), that's a lot more work then I can really commit to at the moment and I'm not 100% sure what exactly needs replacing but I'm guessing every wire from the pump to the battery...?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sry for the lack of activity, but life's been happening on life's terms lately and well let's just say it's been a rough couple of months for my family and I... so I haven't had a lot of time for H-T or this thread. But there will be some updates coming soon.

In the meantime I've got a question for those of you in-the-know... Where can I buy a replacement for part #11 in the diagram pictured below? The overall part# for the entire unit is 15810-P0A-005 but it's been discontinued by Honda and I really only need the top portion (#11) anyway. Unfortunately everywhere I've looked doesn't even have #11 listed so I've been unable to find it's OEM part#, let alone source the part from any vendors. I know that the lower half is different on the newer OBD2
cars and the plug on the pressure switch (#14) may be different also...? Do any of you know if the plugs are the same on the #11 part between OBD1 and OBD2 ? Or if there's any differences at all in the plug types for the entire unit? Any help on this would be great and Thanks in advance
Old 11-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great build thread so far, may need some pointers from you when you have time. hope the life gets right for you soon.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slysi92
great build thread so far, may need some pointers from you when you have time. hope the life gets right for you soon.
Thanks man... anytime you need help just lmk, shoot me a pm or whatnot
Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like how you did the turbo set up. Obviously you got it to work out fine. It is fun isn't it?

I have had no problems using the Walbro 255 on Honda, Acura, GM, Nissan , Saturn factory wiring. I did a few boost projects.

The injectors are huge for pump 87-93 gas. A 550-650cc should land good duty cycles . Not too big , some say they idle foul plugs from the less than 1 % duty cycle and oversize. Arguable.

There are some really expensive and inexpensive options perfect for those inclined. Hondata is really cool. Contrapuntally(mns. on the other hand) , crome is free and a socket kit $10. Injectors are plentiful in every size.

The 5857 is huge. That nomenclature, an entry level 54 or 55xx is more than enough. A classic T3/04e like they have for 100 on ebay, are perfect for those daily 1.8-2.3L 's that want normal ammounts of go fast power in their daily driver. 8 -11 psi on stock internals, mid grade 89 -93 fuel, playing it safe , no problems.

I stayed with the stock rev limits 6300rpm is more than enough for my F23. Any further RPM and it was fighting a losing battle.

A boost control solenoid will help build boost sooner and control the boost level where you want it as you shift through the gears. For instance. My one car only made 6-7 psi through 1st , but by 3rd it made 10-11psi. I could even the boost out, never going less than the wastegate spring level. If I need more acceleration I will turn off the liquid intercooler water injection and activeate the NOS, via Hondata. A pseudo dry ( fuel added by program)35 hp jet makes 65hp in boost. And the thing goes silly like through 1 st and 2nd. Fades by 3rd. When the Vtec exhaust gases kick the turbine, at the same time Hondata hits the laughing gas, the steering wheel try's to pull hard from your grasp.

Those that have yet to try a turbo kit, for $1000 you could make your Accord perform like a Saab 9-3. With that cheapo DNA kit I got about 200whp out of a SOHC F23 at 1/2 a bar, it was nice and quick. Eventually I replaced it all with brand name components. First I got everything where I wanted and then took it to the next level, branding. Although I didnt need to replace it , the ebay kit did not fail. Link to walk around of Accord with ebay kit..

Last edited by 2001GSRSC; 02-06-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GhostAccord
Hey buddy I need to ask you something....

What are your thoughts on drilling/tapping a breather port into the backside of an F22a/b block? Similar to what' seen on the H22's and the B18's. Do you think it's feasible?...doable?...reasonable?.. Or none of the above? lol! plz lmk your thoughts Ghost
Old 02-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you talking about a crank case breather port? If so, yes it can be done.

Are you looking to vent it to atmosphere or a closed catchcan system?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Are you talking about a crank case breather port? If so, yes it can be done.

Are you looking to vent it to atmosphere or a closed catchcan system?
Sorry for the late reply, I've got a lot of "life" happening with my son lately... But yea I was actually thinking of doing a catch tank that then vent's to atmosphere, just like the ports I've got coming off of the VC. Because with the ring gap I went with there seems to be a pretty significant amount of blow-by and enough pressure built up in the CC to impede the oil flow on the turbo return line which in turn presents it's own set of issues. And my thought was maybe I could tap the block and put a good sized breather line on it to help alleviate some of that pressure? If so where do You think would be the best location and do you think there could be any downside to doing such a modification to the block?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take a look at the 92-95 Civic crank case breather box setup. It was a baffled box that plugged into the back of the block under the intake manifold. might be something you can do similar to that setup. There would be no issues with drilling and tapping directly into the crankcase. Just have to watch out for oil and coolant passages as well as staying clear of the rotating assembly.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Take a look at the 92-95 Civic crank case breather box setup. It was a baffled box that plugged into the back of the block under the intake manifold. might be something you can do similar to that setup. There would be no issues with drilling and tapping directly into the crankcase. Just have to watch out for oil and coolant passages as well as staying clear of the rotating assembly.
Thanks for the reply Ghost. I've actually got a spare block in garage so I think I may begin experimenting with it a bit soon. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Quick Reply: Just another TURBO charged (F22B1) CD5 build log