Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

JDM, Remanufactured, or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM, Remanufactured, or Rebuild?

I've been scouring the net for information on remanufactured long block F-22a1 and I am find no helpful information at all.
And of course I'm finding almost NO worthy JDM replacements.
(F22a1, F20z1, F22b dohc)

The motor I am wanting to address currently is approaching 400,000 miles and runs great, However it is going on its fourth timing belt, has some innards issues, transmission has a leak and has a strange but predictable issue going into gear when cold.. So this is making me lean towards engine and tranny replacement.

I got excited when I saw ads talking about 0 mile engines, however the negative reviews way outweigh any positive reviews in customer testimonials.

My questions:

1- Does anyone have any good advice on a good(excellent, of course) Honda remanufacturer?

2-What are the prospects of rebuilding a good condition 400,000 mile engine?

3. Do I wait for an accessible JDM to pop up?

When I opened the hood to ask my mechanic questions about mods for an H 22 swap
his mouth fell open and he said "dude you don't want to put an H 22 in this. This motor is so clean, I can tell you really take care of it. Let's rebuilt this engine!" The motor is in really good shape and runs very nicely but it does have some intermittent oil seepage issues that are evident at some startups.

So I want to do something but I want to make the best descision.

It is a 91 Accord wagon EX and it's going in Thursday for a complete suspension rebuild with stock + Billstein heavy duty shocks. My car is kind of a truck!
Old 05-17-2016, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM, Remanufactured, or Rebuild?

Hmotorsonline.com http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...Engines&hit=10
Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the jdm version is the f22a
Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM all the way ! rebuilds are spotty at best
Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

If you have a reputable engine shop in your area I would take a fresh rebuild over a used JDM engine any day.

Unless you are just looking to drop something in and go over a weekend?

A rebuild will usually take some time. That all depends on how in demand your engine builder is. I have had times that it took 6 weeks to have a block rebuilt by my engine shop. They told me up front so I was well aware of the time. I have nothing bad to say about any of the three engines that I have had rebuilt by them. IMO money well spent vs a used JDM engine that is of unknown origins and maintenance.

I have personally been witness to 3 "low mileage" JDM imported engines that smoked of the hop and were complete garbage within a week of install. Sure they are warrantied. But I'll tell you from personal experience. The more times you have to pull a warn out warrantied engine, you will realize that it would have been worth the money to rebuild. My Time = money!

Sure there are JDM engines that have been dropped in and ran line champs. In your case you have an engine that you know the history and what is needed to freshen it up. Find a local engine builder and ask them how much to fix the leaks and freshen up the bores. God time to maybe look into taking it out a few thou for added displacement!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with GhostAccord. I am currently performing a rebuild too on a JDM, F22B DOHC motor after about a year of research and talking to shops. I've been to about a dozen websites and read the reviews and many (especially japanese import sites) have such horrifying reviews I decided not to mess with any of them. I have also talked with many engine rebuilding shops near by and though they can do the work, it was out of my price range and it didn't sound like they knew much about honda motors.

In the end, as long as all the components you reuse such as the block, head, or crank for example, are in good condition and machined and measured properly you will get the greatest and most reliable results from a rebuild.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a friend who got a Nissan JDM engine and it came with a dead cylinder. Complete waste of time.

I'm sure there are some good JDM engines out there but I find it very suspicious that all of these websites sell engines with "about 45k miles" on them. Where are all these 20-25 year old engines coming from with such low mileage? I bet most of them have 150-200k miles. How is a customer going to prove otherwise?
Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Well, most engines from that era still followed the 80,000 mile rebuild rule in Japan. What this meant was that any engine that reached 80000 miles, regardless of the capability of doing so much more, had to be rebuilt with Factory engine parts before it could be reused again on their vehicles.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

that or they have been sitting for 20 years.... doesn't matter if they have been stored inside or not. Belts, gaskets and seals won't be at their prime. Always best to replace those sorts of things before you drop one into your car.

Do a bench compression test on them as well. Not hard to do. All you need is a 12v source and a compression tester. Hook up the 12v source and ground to the starter and do your compression test.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no such thing as an "80,000 mile rebuild rule." The Shaken system is based on time/age not mileage. I have imported "30k mile or less" engines that came with a cluster that read 121,000 Km, about 75k miles. Others appear to be even higher mileage.
As Ghost stated, when you buy an import engine you have to remember it may have been sitting for years. these are basically junkyard engine coming from a place that makes it HARD to pass emissions with older cars as the emissions requirements are uber strict. so an engine from a 1993 accord WILL be 23 years old, and because of the high cost of auto repair it is likely that many parts will show signs of age at this point, do the compression test and then if good replace all external wear parts (belts, gaskets, pump etc).