Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

intermittent squeal/whine after timing belt/water pump change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent squeal/whine after timing belt/water pump change

I've just completed (hopefully) my first timing belt and water pump change out on my son's 97 Accord EX, 4 cylinder. Car fired right up afterwards, but was making a lot of noise. Found one lower TB cover bolt loose. That helped with the rubbing noise. Then I got what I thought to be bearing squeal from a too-tight belt. Loosened the PS and alternator belts. That racket ceased. I then let the car idle a while to open the thermostat so I could add coolant. I'd previously opened the bleed valve and added enough to get a steady stream from there. As the car warmed up, I started getting more of a squeal. Sounded maybe like bearings complaining again, but I'm a novice, so who knows? I fiddled with the accessory belts some more with no change. I shut it off in despair, thinking I'd screwed something up royally. I went to move the car an hour or so later and it sounded fine. I took it out for a leisurely warm up of maybe two miles. It drove great but, when I pulled into the drive, it started making the noise again. Can I have the tension on the timing belt so tight that the new pump is starting to complain already? I've subsequently driven the car twice, with it starting out quiet, running well, but at the end of 2 or 3 miles you get the chattering, squealing noise that sounds too metallic to be just a belt slipping.

The car is warming up normally, and plenty of consistent heat is coming out of the heater, so I don't think there are any coolant issues.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intermittent squeal/whine after timing belt/water pump change (johnlivingston)

Geez John, I feel for you. I just finished this job two months ago. I didnt run into these problems. Getting the seals off was the toughest part.

Sounds like the belts. Are these belts new? If not try belt lubricant to eliminate the belts being the problem. However, doesnt seem to be a belt problem nor does it sound like a coolant issue. Where did you get your water pump? I hope it is a Honda part. I got all my parts from Hondaautomotiveparts.com. Never had a problem.

Are you sure this was not already a problem before you did the work? You will need to really work hard to find where the squeeling is coming from. To redo all your work just for a waterpump is unthinkable. Did you change the pulleys? I changed all mine out while doing the timing belt. I have 100K on my 98 Accord ex.

regards.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intermittent squeal/whine after timing belt/water pump change (johnlivingston)

recheck the torque on the t-belt tensioner, sounds like it might be too tight
Old 12-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intermittent squeal/whine after timing belt/water pump change (p10hlm)

i have the same problem it sounds like my car is super charged what the hell is dat can it be because of new belts??
Old 12-25-2007, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intermittent squeal/whine after timing belt/water pump change (F22dreams)

Well, I've gone through all the tensioning threads and realized I made the newbie mistake of leaving the bolt in the timing belt tensioner - the one you're supposed to put in temporarily to help you get the belt in initially. I remember wondering why the bolt stuck out far enough that I was worried about the timing belt hitting it. I actually searched out one in my junk box that would clear! Anyhow, that was part of the problem. The big cause of the noise was a cover bolt that was hanging loose and hitting the back of the crank pulley now and then. So at least I don't seemed to have ruining any bearings or anything else serious. I'll give a final report once it's all back together. Sure came apart a lot faster the second time!

These threads proved helpful:

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_56418/tm.htm
http://www.hondaaccordforum.co...m.htm
Old 12-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and there was other other thing I did wrong! I left off the adjusting nut washer! It was on the garage floor when I pulled the car out. One of the threads above points out that it goes on before the cover, then the bolt goes on. At least I'm not taking it back apart for nothing!

John
Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed