Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Instrument Panel/Dash/Climate Control Lights not working after new stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel/Dash/Climate Control Lights not working after new stereo

Hey everyone,

I figured this would be the best place to post my issue! Anyways,

I installed a new Kenwood stereo in my '98 Accord LX, it runs great but unfortunately none of the Instrument Panel/Dash/Climate Control Lights will not work. The lights for seat belt, gear, turn signals, check engine all work.. it is just the background lights and the needle. I checked the fuses that would be associated with this problem and they looked fine (the zig zag pattern wasn't broken).

I have researched this issue but haven't found a clear answer. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, there is no bare wire, I put electrical tape over the wire's which weren't used in the installation... also I used a wire harness if that helps
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Instrument Panel/Dash/Climate Control Lights not working after new stereo

Disconnect the dimmer wire on the kenwood, this will be an orange, orange w/ white stripe or orange w/ a black stripe.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:06 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Instrument Panel/Dash/Climate Control Lights not working after new stereo

The dimming wire for the headunit is probably the culprit as otis mentioned.

That is provided your fuse labelled small lights (under hood for CD chassis) is good.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Trial User

By disconnect do you mean to completely remove the wire?

The orange, orange black, and blue wire's were not connected when I crimped the wires from the harness. I taped them off.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Trial User

Bumping
Up
My
Post.

For anyone who has any other suggestions on how to deal with this problem.

Someone told me to check the fuses under the hood but I don't think they apply to the lights used on the dash.

Also, if the headlights are left on and the engine is shut off, the sound/notification that the car makes alerting that they are still on does not work either.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably blew out the driver's side mutiplexer under the dash.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kooshnedo
I checked the fuses that would be associated with this problem and they looked fine (the zig zag pattern wasn't broken).
You can't just look at the fuses, you have to test them with a test light or DMM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

9 times out of 10 I've noticed when people do there own installation the use the connector and jus crimp the wires, but the don't tell you that you have to find a ground in the car, and not through the connector, I'll bet you grounded the stereo out through the lights, and that is the reason why they are not working, find a new ground then check the lights, if still no lights now it would be a fuse
Old 09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Trial User

check fuse #10 on passenger side
Old 10-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Trial User

@dragon_lowrider,

what would you recommend as a good ground near the stereo? I know I connected the ground wire to the one provided in the harness just like the others...

sorry I am a bit of an electrical noob.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kooshnedo
@dragon_lowrider,

what would you recommend as a good ground near the stereo? I know I connected the ground wire to the one provided in the harness just like the others...

sorry I am a bit of an electrical noob.
well behind the radio there should be some metal brackets, put a ring connector on the wire and use a self taping screw to secure it, or you can also run the ground to the ground wire of the cigertte lighter which ever would be easiest for you
Old 10-10-2010, 12:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember kids always disconnect the battery before doing electrical work.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:40 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by otis1986
Disconnect the dimmer wire on the kenwood, this will be an orange, orange w/ white stripe or orange w/ a black stripe.
so I did this and it stopped popping the fuse but how do I fix my climate control not working
Old 03-14-2022, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dragon_lowrider
9 times out of 10 I've noticed when people do there own installation the use the connector and jus crimp the wires, but the don't tell you that you have to find a ground in the car, and not through the connector, I'll bet you grounded the stereo out through the lights, and that is the reason why they are not working, find a new ground then check the lights, if still no lights now it would be a fuse
Old post I know, but why can't you use the ground wire from the car? If it is a good ground it would have the same effect as grounding it to the metal bracket or the cig lighter ground wouldn't it?

The reason I ask is I installed a head unit in my 02 Accord and lost all my dash lights. I just removed the gauge cluster yesterday and jumped 2 wires behind it and they all came back on. But to be on the safe side I removed the head unit too. I thought I hooked up the hu dimmer wire to the cars dimmer control and blew the multiplexer. However I believe I hooked the hu up right.

I hooked the TFT dimmer wire (orange) on the hu to the illumination wire (red) on the car. But this would be correct if I want the hu screen to dim when I turn the lights on. So, I'm confused on what caused my dash lights to go out in the first place and am afraid to put the hu back in. I don't want to blow fuses all the time. Any idea on what I did or didn't do? Ride sucks without a radio. 20 year old car makes way to much noise if I can't drown it out with some tunes.