Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Ignition cylinder not turning and want same keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ignition cylinder not turning and want same keys

My ignition cyinder on a 2001 accord is tricky sometimes. Need to play around to turn the lock cylinder.

What part do I need to replace so that the ignition lock cylinder will turn normally and have the same key for doors and trunk?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Ignition cylinder not turning and want same keys

they used to have a full lock kit for all the locks that you could by but it's likely they don't make one for your car anymore but you could call your nearest Honda
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001GSRSC
My ignition cyinder on a 2001 accord is tricky sometimes. Need to play around to turn the lock cylinder.

What part do I need to replace so that the ignition lock cylinder will turn normally and have the same key for doors and trunk?
A new lock cylinder can be repinned to the same configuration. Its kind of hard to do. Contact a lock smith. You'll need your key code.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Pretty common on Y2K era Volvos, people just twist the key and it eventually jams the key in cylinder in the unlocked position.

Before spending money (ignition cylinder alone is $150 before re-key) I would suggest seeing if it is merely jamming due to forced key turns and lack of lubrication.
Normally the key needs to be pushed in towards the column while turning to unlock. But if the key is just force turned this can cause wear on the key and eventually jam the cylinder.
Disconnect battery.
Remove column cowling.
Remove Ignitions switch.
Exercise the cylinder with the key.
Note where the ignition switch attaches, there will be the coupling that turns the ignition switch itself. This should turn and may even 'pop' when turning from lock/unlock. Use WD40 into the key slot and on the back side to free the cylinder. Keep a rag under the cylinder to catch the excess solvent and goo. This may take a few times to get the cylinder to free up, remember to push in while rotating to unlock.

If the key itself is excessively worn, or there is a lot of gunk/goo leaking from the cylinder after WD4, there may be key shavings in the cylinder causing it to wear/jam.
Order two 35102-SV4-003 from the dealer(security break away bolts).
Remove the key transponder.
Drill out the original cylinder security bolts and remove the key cylinder.
Turn the cylinder on end(key side down) and tap the cylinder to remove key shavings.
Use PB blaster/Liquid wrench to aid in flushing out the bits and gunk and WD40 to clean out the PB Blaster/Liquid wrench.
Don't be concerned if the key cylinder seems to become 'sloppy', you are probably just used to the sticking/seizing cylinder that you didn't realize the amount of movement in the cylinder normally.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the key is not chipped, could you just drill out the pins in the cylinder and use a screwdriver or whatever to turn the cylinder?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Not really, it would make a mess of everything and you most likely not have a proper slot to turn. Although the doorway and slot are steel the rest of the cylinder and lock mechanism are made of pot metal which is just horrible crap to try and drill out, it just makes fine poweder mess everywhere and you probably would still not be able to turn whats left of the cylinder.

If your key/cylinder are so worn that you cannot rotate the cylinder then you will either need to punch out the locking pin and then yank the cylinder out, or do as I mentioned above and remove the whole assembly to try and fix it.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this video and see if it helps:

Old 10-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

DCFiver, I contacted my local smithy and they set it up for an unreasonable some.

I need a new lock cylinder, security bolts, from Honda and the keys and the key code , i didn't have.

However , all with one key , everything works. Even the glove box lock. Worth $500+ , Hhmmmmm. Honda.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

DCFiver, I contacted my local smithy and they set it up for an unreasonable some.

I need a new lock cylinder, security bolts, from Honda and the keys and the key code , i didn't have.

However , all with one key , everything works. Even the glove box lock. Worth $500+ , Hhmmmmm. Honda.
Pricey. But worth it for many people,to not have to deal with the having different keys.

Glad it worked out.