Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first

hey guys. I have some great ideas in for my black 2001 Honda Accord, but I need some input because my wallet is definitely empty. Performance-wise, do you guys think i should put on an intake(if so what kind), exhaust, or header (pick one). As far as exterior things im trying to decide between window tint and black rims. Im also trying to decide between a body kit and just cutting the springs. If you guys have any ideas, please dont hesitate to let me know.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first (new2tuning)

Do NOT cut the springs. They are at that height and spring rate for a reason. If you are going to lower the car, do it right and buy some coilovers or lowering springs at the very least, even if you don't get new struts too, at least buy the springs/coilovers. As far as engine upgrades go, its really up to you. You will hear the intake and you will hear the exaust but without all three you really won't notice much performance gain. The exaust makes you sound like you're going faster, and the intake make you think you're going faster although you will notice a very slight gain in upper end pull with the intake it's not huge. Intakes are all pretty much the same. I have a matrix intake and it looks nearly identicle to the AEM and just about any other brand intake that I have ever seen, just get whatever brand tubing/intake piping that you want and then get a nice air filter. The filter makes the biggest difference. BTW, the exhaust makes you a huge target for the cops, especially when you have rims too so watch out. All in all it's up to you but let me tell you, do it right the first time so that you don't have to do it again. It will save you money and you will be happier. Good luck.

P.S. Search too! This has been covered a ton, that's probably why I have been the only one to respond to your post so far. Search =
Old 02-22-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first (new2tuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by new2tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys. I have some great ideas in for my black 2001 Honda Accord, but I need some input because my wallet is definitely empty. Performance-wise, do you guys think i should put on an intake(if so what kind), exhaust, or header (pick one). As far as exterior things im trying to decide between window tint and black rims. Im also trying to decide between a body kit and just cutting the springs. If you guys have any ideas, please dont hesitate to let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is it the i4 or the v6 model?? honestly speaking bolton's for a daily driven i4 will rob some of the fun out of the car... intake headers exhausts are good for midrange-highends but robs majority of your low end power....

if i were you just put a nice filter on that oem intake, convert your lx if so to the ex manifold and just save up and do a swap or a 5spd conversion... since youre (new2tuning) you can start studying about boost (turbo) and give yourself more options...

but suspension wise... what are your goals for the vehicle? street daily driving? track? autox? try looking up top at the "guide to accords" theyll tell you alot about basics... NEVER cut your springs, thatll ruin just everything...
Old 02-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Me Gusta History

Intake, header, and exhaust will net you 10hp at the wheels, 15 at best. You can just put a K&N cone filter on your stock piping, or get a cheap intake on eBay and put a good K&N filter on it. A good exhaust size is 2.25-2.5", Apex'i WS or GReddy Evo is good, or try kteller.com for some piping and weld a muffler (magnaflow recommended) of your choice up at an exhaust shop. A Kteller exhaust with a magnaflow will cost 400 bucks tops. Stainless steel is best because it will not rust.

To get real power out of an Accord you need to either swap in an H or turbo it for a 4cyl, supercharge it for a 6 cyl. These run 2 grand at the lowest to do each one correctly.

Body kits are evil. Do not speak of body kits here. Lips are subtle and OK.

If you buy wheels the best sizes are 15-17 inches, any bigger and youre riced out and are heavy (lose performance) and you will have a horrible ride and dent a wheel every time you hit a pothole.

DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS! This is detrimental to performance, dangerous to drive, and just plain stupid. They are engineered a certain way by the manufacturer. People have been KILLED when they cut their springs and lost control of their car.

Neuspeed, Tein, and H&R are good spring companies, Omnipower, Ground Control, and Tein make good coilovers. I'd suggest getting aftermarket shocks (Tokico HP or Illuminas, KYB AGX, Koni Yellow and Red) to go with them.

Read the basic guide to accords above, it has a lot of useful stuff.

Hint: Dont buy cheap **** on ebay. Theyre bad quality and youll be wasting your money.

Youd usually get flamed for doing this but I answered because I dont want to kill you on your first post.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first (accordselux)

save up some cash and go to performance driving school, faster driver&gt;faster car
Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by new2tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...but I need some input because my wallet is definitely empty. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Empty wallet, yet willing to buy new exhaust, header, intake, rims, body kit, and suspension. Makes no sense whatsoever!!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first (zumiez007)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zumiez007 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Empty wallet, yet willing to buy new exhaust, header, intake, rims, body kit, and suspension. Makes no sense whatsoever!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Esp. since everything but the exhaust and suspension would mostly be a waste- with the exhaust you can put a turbo on it in the future and the suspension makes a tighter and more enjoyable car
Old 02-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hey i need some help on deciding what to do to my car first (accordselux)

my suggestion is to save up a considerable amount of cash....and then blow it all on your suspension If you are set on getting the black rims (black rims on black cars= ) I say get those first, then get the lowering springs once you see the difference between your rims and your stock wheels. Both of these are pretty much cosmetic upgrades, but if you do them right (lightweight wheels, correct spring rates) you will help your performance as well and your car will be much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by new2tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys. I have some great ideas in for my black 2001 Honda Accord, but I need some input because my wallet is definitely empty. Performance-wise, do you guys think i should put on an intake(if so what kind), exhaust, or header (pick one). As far as exterior things im trying to decide between window tint and black rims. Im also trying to decide between a body kit and just cutting the springs. If you guys have any ideas, please dont hesitate to let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Save your money and swap in an H22, or save your money and boost your F. I/H/E are worthless if you look at cost-to-HP-ratio compared to forced induction. They will be fun for a little but you'll just want more so do it right the first time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Body kits are evil. Do not speak of body kits here. Lips are subtle and OK.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just another H-T bandwagon. There are numerous body kits that look good (WW, Bomex) and are subtle. I have side skirts and a rear valance(with Gracer lip up front) and think it looks good. Plus these parts weigh less then the OEM sides/bumper. So why not? And if people think I wasted my money on all show and no go, I just show 'em my engine bay

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you buy wheels the best sizes are 15-17 inches, any bigger and youre riced out and are heavy (lose performance) and you will have a horrible ride and dent a wheel every time you hit a pothole.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true. I've had 18's for 20 months now and had no problems with potholes. As far as performance goes, it really depends on the rim and its weight. I agree the best sizes are 15-17 but I hardly think 18's are 'rice' simply based on their size. I don't think many people consider 18" Volk TE-37's as rice