See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Thanks again Touring, I have this procedure down pat in the head, but it is nice to have the writeup with pictures in the database.
Thanks, glad to hear it is still helping people
Old 06-22-2017, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Replace Timing Belt, Timing Balancer Belt and Water Pump on a F22B1

Can I get the PDF on this please?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don’t know why this is on my thread it has similar but not V6 and all
Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by XRACER63
I don’t know why this is on my thread it has similar but not V6 and all
Your thread? Might want to look again.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks once again to this very detail and thorough DIY. This is my second time doing this job, the first one was back in 2011-2012. This is for a F23A4, 2000 Accord SE 4cyl. The reason for this recent change was not the timing belt or the water pump (but I replaced them anyway this time) but I was seeing a massive oil leak pooling at the bottom of the timing belt cover. The vehicle is driven locally for very short trips, school pickup, grocery getter and I had been topping the oil regularly. I finally decided to fix the leak. I wasn't sure where it was coming from I just know it was pooling at the bottom of the timing cover and spraying everywhere from there. I had the seals from last time (camshaft, crankshaft and the front balance seals) but didn't install them, which was a mistake. This time ALL the seals were replaced, even the valve cover seals and the grommets. In addition to those seals and gasket I found an additional one behind the rear balance shaft, it's an O ring for the oil pump (part number 15114-PT0-003). It's 3 bolts and the rear balance pulley/shaft comes off and there's an odd shape O ring with a separate circle. This O ring may have been the problem since it was flatten pretty good but I am not sure which of the seals was the culprit, one or a combination of all could have been leaking. The car does have 214k miles so the seals needed replacement. I had to order a new timing cover from Amazon, about 77 dollars for all three pieces. The lower cover was completely done. The upper cover was okay but replaced anyway since it came as a set. I am happy to report the leak is FIXED !

Also, the front balance seal was probably the toughest one to install since there wasn't a lot of room to whack the seal in- the fender/wheel well was blocking it. I manage to get it in as much as possible. Bought a couple of properly sized PVCs to knock the seals in. I know people use big sockets for it but my limited tools didn't have sockets that big and deep. Now that I am looking back I probably could have tried lowering the engine a bit to create more clearance, perhaps it would have helped.

Another thing regarding the oil leak - I still don't know the exact source - but the timing belts that came off had no oil on it. Besides the timing cover soaking in oil the alternator belt and the crankshaft pulley and the AC compressor pulley-at least the edge closer to the engine had oil on it. I reused those parts - even the belt. I clean off the oil as best I could and reinstall it. I figure if anything goes wrong with the alternator belt it's simple enough to replace.

And for people wondering how hard it is to replace the seals, there is more work involved. The crankshaft seal requires removing some electrical components at the very bottom, five or six 10mm bolts. These components were blocking the removal of the pulley. The front and camshaft seals require a tool to stop the pulley from spinning as you unbolt the nut. The front balance shaft had a small hole that you can insert a screwdriver to stop it from spinning. The camshaft is higher up so it's easier to insert a crowbar or similar tool to stop it from turning. Most of the seals came off without too much of a battle. I had a more difficult time with the valve cover seals.

On to other issues with the car....I think the distributor seals are next then the purge valve for the EVAP.

Last edited by mister_two; 11-13-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you
Old 11-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For posting this.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:28 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TouringAccord
Thanks

Also, I have this in a PDF version with pictures and everything if anyone is interested. It is 12 pages long and about 7.7mb in size. I just don't have anywhere to host it. I figured this would be nice for people who want to print it out and have it with them while working on their car.
Do you still have the PDF version? If so can you please send it to me? Could come in handy when I go to change my water pump this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-22-2023, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look up bundy's garage on youtube. his video is straight to the point and well done. i followed his guide and ETCG video guide on it
Old 02-12-2024, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MidevilGhost15
Do you still have the PDF version? If so can you please send it to me? Could come in handy when I go to change my water pump this weekend.
I would like it also but sadly, TouringAccord has not been on since March of 2018.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turboshaft
Can I get the PDF on this please?
Hello Turboshaft,
Hope you are well and having a good day.
You were the last to ask for the PDF from TouringAccord, if he sent it to you, could you share it with me?
He is gone and you are our only hope...
Thanks,
sssZan
Old 02-12-2024, 05:44 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by sssZan
Hello Turboshaft,
Hope you are well and having a good day.
You were the last to ask for the PDF from TouringAccord, if he sent it to you, could you share it with me?
He is gone and you are our only hope...
Thanks,
sssZan
I've replaced the deadlink with the Wayback Machine (internet archive) link.

Go to the first post again and click the pdf link.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ispreloading=1
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, That will help immensely...pictures and all.