Print Wikipost

How to: Replace Headgasket F22B2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to: Replace Headgasket F22B2

Originally Posted by faran
Any cheap recommendation to get '4' cylinder headbolts?
I would just replace all of them with factory replacements. Also I wouldn't advise using any air tools on the motor itself. Maybe cracking rusty suspension components loose, but never on the motor. As far as the belt goes, yes. Just remove the upper cover (two bolts) and loosen the tensioner when you can then slide off the belt.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZXTInerTia
I would just replace all of them with factory replacements. Also I wouldn't advise using any air tools on the motor itself. Maybe cracking rusty suspension components loose, but never on the motor. As far as the belt goes, yes. Just remove the upper cover (two bolts) and loosen the tensioner when you can then slide off the belt.
Thanks, I am planning to hit a junkyard to see if I can find these bolts dirt cheap

Could you please suggest something for the '2' stuck bolts in the right side of the head, as shown in the pictures?

How should I crack them loose, previously I have tried Impact, 12pt and 6pt sockets but no luck

Now head is almost stripped for both of them

Please suggest some advice?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I am planning to hit a junkyard to see if I can find these bolts dirt cheap

Could you please suggest something for the '2' stuck bolts in the right side of the head, as shown in the pictures?

How should I crack them loose, previously I have tried Impact, 12pt and 6pt sockets but no luck

Now head is almost stripped for both of them

Please suggest some advice?
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/211...emover_Kit.jpg

You may need one of these, otherwise grinding/cutting is always an option. But I'm not sure what effects THOSE will have on the already fragile head.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/211...emover_Kit.jpg

You may need one of these, otherwise grinding/cutting is always an option. But I'm not sure what effects THOSE will have on the already fragile head.
Thanks again

I am going to try these pullers, not sure how much successful I will be?

Grinding and cutting, space is REALLY tight, even it's hard to put a socket not sure how will I be able to do that?

Just an assumption, worst case if I break the head of the bolt, what would be my options to pull the head?

Please advise
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you break the head of the bolt off the bolt stem, you can then remove the head, but will then have to get the rest of the bolt out of the threads in the head.

Try a big helper bar to break it loose before you try grinding or cutting anything....
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DanInOttawa
If you break the head of the bolt off the bolt stem, you can then remove the head, but will then have to get the rest of the bolt out of the threads in the head.

Try a big helper bar to break it loose before you try grinding or cutting anything....
Head is almost round and socket just sits and slips on it, because of the torque, I need a firm grip so that I can use a big cheater pipe to break it loose
Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Head is almost round and socket just sits and slips on it, because of the torque, I need a firm grip so that I can use a big cheater pipe to break it loose
Get a friend to push the socket onto the head of the bolt while you turn the breaker bar. If it keeps slipping, time to get the tool that NZXTInerTia showed you.

You may be able to borrow one from an auto parts shop w a deposit....useful tool to have if you have to buy one.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yesterday, I tried using something similar from harbor freight was able to open '3' bolts which were giving me tough time with normal sockets.

But those harbor freights were slipping on these '2' B******S

I am going to try these sear ones, as I am only '2' bolts away from pulling the freaking head
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why stop at Sears? There are certain times when the words Snap-On or MAC have a nice ring to them...

I know that I can't afford all Cadillac for my tool box, but there are certain things that are worth the cash. E.g. since most of our vehicles are 10 and 12 mm bolts, I have a 6pt in the both in all the drive sizes from MAC - I'm not saying that it might have saved you the situation that you're in now, but I know they've been worth their weight in gold for me. Same goes for a quality flathead and Phillips...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why stop at Sears? There are certain times when the words Snap-On or MAC have a nice ring to them...

I know that I can't afford all Cadillac for my tool box, but there are certain things that are worth the cash. E.g. since most of our vehicles are 10 and 12 mm bolts, I have a 6pt in the both in all the drive sizes from MAC - I'm not saying that it might have saved you the situation that you're in now, but I know they've been worth their weight in gold for me. Same goes for a quality flathead and Phillips...
Sure thing, completely agree with you and makes sense too

But damage has been done and I am trying to resolve and crack these bolts, so ready to try any possible solution, if you know what I mean?

Does Snap on or MAC has anything to remove almost rounded bolts?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=681517

Google is your friend, my friend

If your bolt is really mangled you may have to go down a size extractor, but if it's that bad, it's probably time for the dremel and cut-off wheel - however, just think of how crappy it's going to be to try get what essentially will become a stud out of your block once you go that route...
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks

I am planning to try this one from Autozone or Lowes:

Irwin Industrial Tools 3094001 Bolt-Grip Deep Well Set, 5-Piece - Amazon.com Irwin Industrial Tools 3094001 Bolt-Grip Deep Well Set, 5-Piece - Amazon.com
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am left with only '1' bolt

Do you guys recommend this Headgasket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-02-Honda-Accord-Acura-CL-2-2L-2-3L-F22B1-F23A1-MLS-Head-Gasket-/360412357380?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ea402304&vxp=mtr
Please advice
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go buy a factory replacement. Never want to cheap out on something like this just to have to do it again.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go buy a factory replacement. Never want to cheap out on something like this just to have to do it again.
Nippon, Ishino, Stone or FelPro then?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by faran; 06-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nippon, Ishino, Stone or FelPro then?

Thanks for the help
Yep!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for helping out, I can't budge that POS last cylinder head bolt.

Bolt is COMPLETELY rounded now, 14mm and 13mm regular sockets are not working. 14mm is loose while 13mm extractor is tough to use when I hammer it, teeth get affected since its tight.

I might need to get another bolt extractor because the teeth for the old ones are GONE!!!

That's a REAL PITA to budge the last bolt

Any other tip or suggestions??? Have a look on the pictures and advice.

Thanks for helping out.
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you buy/rent one of those bolt extractor sockets I suggested?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

If the bolt extractors continue to fail. Do you have access to a MIG or TIG welder?

I have had to remove a few head bolts that were rounded off like this. I ended up having to weld a spare head bolt onto the top of the stripped bolt. Cut an old head bolt about 3-4" down from the head. Then weld it to the rounded top. Make sure to shield the valve spring and valve stem from any weld spatter.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
If the bolt extractors continue to fail. Do you have access to a MIG or TIG welder?

I have had to remove a few head bolts that were rounded off like this. I ended up having to weld a spare head bolt onto the top of the stripped bolt. Cut an old head bolt about 3-4" down from the head. Then weld it to the rounded top. Make sure to shield the valve spring and valve stem from any weld spatter.
That's actually a really good idea of you have access to a wire feed/tig.

+1 this idea.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys

Unfortunately, I don't have any welder and no experience with any welding too

I am going to try another time a Brand New Bolt extractor, is there anyway I can pull this bolt without welding?

Cutting and grinding is very tricky too, because space is REALLY TIGHT, even craftsman 1/2" extractors aren't going there. Only 3/8' is an option for me.

Any input or other suggestion?
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Using a large drill bit or two would be another choice.

Use a center punch and mark the center of the bolt head. Then make a small pilot hole with a relatively small drill bit. The bolts have been through a few heat cycles so it may take a few bits or sharpening to get lower than the bolt head. Once you have a pilot hole drilled 6mm (1/4") deeper than the head. You can start using larger diameter drill bits. Once you reach the bit that is larger than the diameter of the bolt. The rest of the head should pop right off.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Using a large drill bit or two would be another choice.

Use a center punch and mark the center of the bolt head. Then make a small pilot hole with a relatively small drill bit. The bolts have been through a few heat cycles so it may take a few bits or sharpening to get lower than the bolt head. Once you have a pilot hole drilled 6mm (1/4") deeper than the head. You can start using larger diameter drill bits. Once you reach the bit that is larger than the diameter of the bolt. The rest of the head should pop right off.
Thanks so much for the tips and suggestion.

Trust me, this one damn bolt is KILLING me

Have a look on the attached pictures, I am able to make a big hole in it, still its not popping

Any suggestion for the drill bit size? Bolt is completely hollow, but still Edges are there and its not ready to give up

Thanks for the help guys.
Attached Images    
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need a drill a bit larger than the diameter of the bolt shaft. Looks like you still have a bit further to go. IIRC the head bolt diameter is 12mm so you should look for a 1/2" drill bit.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If the bolt is hardened, get a carbide drill. It will do amazing things, like drill through another drill bit that is broken off. Not cheap, but it's an option if nothing else will work.

Quick Reply: How to: Replace Headgasket F22B2