Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

97Accord Tranny install problem!!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97Accord Tranny install problem!!

Ok so i recently took out an old broken auto transmission had no reverse n went forward in all gears bought a used tranny , and recently try to reinstall it but im having this problem where after i pull up the tranny n bolt the torque converter to the flywheel of the engine, have it in there all straight looks good but theres about half an inch spacing between the tranny and the engine if i try to bolt shut it presses the torque converter with the flywheel against the engine making it impossible to spin/rotate! i know this because i manualy try to rotate the engine but if i bolt the tranny shut it gets stuck and with the half inch spacing it moves, i took it out again because i thought that the torque converter wasnt all the way in the tranny but it seems as it is so idk why the tranny wont fit back in all the way i try wedging it in pushing it wiggling nothing seems to work!!! i also manualy rotated the engine when the tranny and torque converter was off it didnt seem ti be bent or dented or nothing like that...does anybody have an idea of how to properly install it or am i messing something up?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97Accord Tranny install problem!!

Line up the splines on the mainshaft with the torque converter dude. Rotate it around until it snaps into place.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chikin pickle
Line up the splines on the mainshaft with the torque converter dude. Rotate it around until it snaps into place.
thats what i did i rotated pushed went in rotated pushed went in more did this untill the torque converter went as much as it could on it!! i took the tranny out again because thats what i thought that it wasnt in all the way.. but idk wont go in anymore
i really think it isnt in all the way ill go try to get it more in but it is sticking out like half a inch its not completley under the mainshaft cover .... is sticking out like half a inch but idk ...

Last edited by elliascool; 02-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

elliascool the TC will full bottom out against the case of the transmission housing when it is fully inserted. You need to verify that, looking through the starter hole you should have the donut up against it, or within 1/16".
The TC should install with three audible clicks, and spin freely.
What may also be an issue to check. Verify that the TC is the same diameter as the old drive/flex plate. You want to measure the portion that you bolt the two together. Odeyssey trans have an ~11" TC whereas Accords have ~9.5".
The TC and drive/flex plates MUST match. DO NOT FORCE THE BOLTS!!!
The block and trans are aluminum, you will strip the threads if not careful.

If you are having problems with the TC slipping forward while installing, borrow the little PS adjuster bracket ~1.5" long, and using one of the TC to drive plate bolts, bolt it to the lowest bolt hole for the inspection plate, rotate it up and it will prevent the TC from sliding out.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
elliascool the TC will full bottom out against the case of the transmission housing when it is fully inserted. You need to verify that, looking through the starter hole you should have the donut up against it, or within 1/16".
The TC should install with three audible clicks, and spin freely.
What may also be an issue to check. Verify that the TC is the same diameter as the old drive/flex plate. You want to measure the portion that you bolt the two together. Odeyssey trans have an ~11" TC whereas Accords have ~9.5".
The TC and drive/flex plates MUST match. DO NOT FORCE THE BOLTS!!!
The block and trans are aluminum, you will strip the threads if not careful.

If you are having problems with the TC slipping forward while installing, borrow the little PS adjuster bracket ~1.5" long, and using one of the TC to drive plate bolts, bolt it to the lowest bolt hole for the inspection plate, rotate it up and it will prevent the TC from sliding out.
ok so i tryed it again and i found out the problem ok so i have 2 TC the old 1 and the 1 taht came with the used tranny they are both good because i put them on the old tranny and indeed they go in all the way and easy i did the same thing on the new used tranny and it seems as it goes in all the way but not all the way like the old tranny i have both so i compared idky on my new used tranny it wont go in all the way i tryed on it for like 20 min it sticks out the half inch thats the problem!!! i measured the splines from the mainshaft off the tranny and they are both the same its mind boggling why it wont go in all the way the trannys are exactly the same!!! and so are the torque converters!!! idk what to do
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You obviously have some type of mechanical interference occurring. You need to inspect it, patiently observe the problem, analyze it from all angles and pay attention to details. Don't try and force them together. The only thing that will do is break stuff. It's usually something simple. How about dowel pins?

The transmission bellhousing should have two dowel pins (precision ground cylinders used to precisely locate two parts). Are they in good condition? Are there only two?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chikin pickle
You obviously have some type of mechanical interference occurring. You need to inspect it, patiently observe the problem, analyze it from all angles and pay attention to details. Don't try and force them together. The only thing that will do is break stuff. It's usually something simple. How about dowel pins?

The transmission bellhousing should have two dowel pins (precision ground cylinders used to precisely locate two parts). Are they in good condition? Are there only two?
i wiggled it up/down rotated in everyway to try to get it in i measured everything , nothing is different its really weird why it wont go in all the way also as much as it goes in it rotates perfectly u would think its in all the way but on my old tranny it goes in more idk whats causing this i placed the starter on the new tranny with the TC on and ik for a fact its not in all the way because when i pull the starter head out it doesnt reach the teeth of the TC
Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i am at a complete shock it makes no sense to me why the torque converter wont go in !!! ive literaly inspected both trannys for hours now ive tryed over and over their literally both the exact same in every way! ive inspected the input shaft that the TC goes into the splines/teeth are fine everything is the same not 1 diffrence even as i looked past the rubber seal nothing inside blocking or in the way i just dont understand it!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:06 PM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by elliascool
i just dont understand it!
When you installed the TC did you rotate it while pushing it on? It should make three audible click/clunks each time. Check the input shafts on the transmissions, is there anything protruding out further from the transmission itself? Is the TC rubbing on the case? Where did you get the trans from?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you installed the TC did you rotate it while pushing it on? It should make three audible click/clunks each time. Check the input shafts on the transmissions, is there anything protruding out further from the transmission itself? Is the TC rubbing on the case? Where did you get the trans from?
yes i pushed n rotated ik im doing it right because on my old transmission it goes in all the way... it makes the clicks n all but it still sticks out a half inch more than the old tranny ... i got it from a pull apart where they pull everything for you ... im starting to think they might have gave me a 96 rather than a 97 .but i asked for a 97 and idk if theres a diff between the 96 accord and 97 accord transmissions ?!?!?! i have a warranty so im going to them tomorrow with the tranny and ill bring my old 1 to show them.
also my accord is a SE/special edition so idk if theres any diffs between them ..

Last edited by elliascool; 02-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
MM Gruppe B

idk if theres a diff between the 96 accord and 97 accord transmissions ?!?!?! i have a warranty so im going to them tomorrow with the tranny and ill bring my old 1 to show them.
'94-'97 Accord transmissions are the same. I just installed a A/T and had no issues with the TC to Transmission at all.

Watch, when you go to show them it will pop in no problem, never fails.

Last edited by MAD_MIKE; 02-10-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Engrish
Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank the lord! for i have fit it in! with the help of a pro friend! came over n did what i couldnt do in hours less than a minute!!!! so i put the whole car together ! tomorrow morning will be the launch!!!! thnx guys!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 PM
MM Gruppe B

thank the lord! for i have fit it in! with the help of a pro friend! came over n did what i couldnt do in hours less than a minute!!!!
You can't leave us hanging like that. What was the problem?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can't leave us hanging like that. What was the problem?
well from what i can gather it went in pushed down on it was probably cuz those ppl at junkyard left it outside n it was dry n whatnot but after it went in we took it off n put it in again went easier ...