Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Horn/wiring issues

Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn/wiring issues

So the horn's not working and I need it to pass inspection. So first off the troubleshooting I've done. (It's a 1998 Accord LX btw)

1. Swapped relay, no horn
2. Tested for voltage at the connector that goes into the horns (while horn pressed) nothing
3. Took out airbag and grounded the horn connector, horn sounds.

Now the steps I took to attempt to fix it.

On another forum someone said to cut the light green w/ blue striped wire coming out of the steering wheel(to the left) and ground it with a switch in line. I do that and nothing. Neither side of the wire had power with or without the key on. I look again and there's a SECOND wire that's light green w/ blue stripe in the same harness. I tape the other together (temporarily just while I check the other wire) and same result.

I tested all my crimps for continuity and they were all good. So what gives?

I noticed there's another wiring harness that's completely enclosed coming from the steering column. Is that the harness the wires in? Or do I just need to cut the wire somewhere else were it'll have power?

I attached a picture of the harness I'm working with and the wiring diagram from my Haynes manual.

Also I'm not color blind. There's two of the same colored and striped wires in there!

Thanks in advance!

PS: the yellow wire is just what I used to reconnect the first wire I cut.

Last edited by toyomatt84; 11-27-2017 at 08:21 PM.