Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

how can i pull this off??? D:

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i pull this off??? D:

hi, i have a 1997 honda accord ex 2.2 sohc vtec with an auto tranny. this car is my daily driver and i love it very much. i am wondering if, and how i can get it to 210+ horsepower without having to do a 5 speed conversion, or an h22 swap? the motor is pretty new (about 55k) and my tranny is new (about 20k) and i already have the basic bolt on mods (intake, headers, exhaust) and i know im not getting the numbers i want (or even that close) i am thinking about upgrading the camshaft, cam gears, and valve springs. about how much power will that give me? and is it possible to chip my ecu? oh, and finally i would prefer to keep it naturally aspirated. thank you for reading this :]
Old 01-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: how can i pull this off??? D:

you better either go turbo or use a bottle. it takes cams, head work, etc to get an h22 to 210whp. Your f22 is quite a ways off.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen 160whp F22B1 but thats with a 5spd transmission. It's hard to reach that kind of goal without an H swap. It'll cost thousands of dollars just to get it up there.

Go H if you want to go NA. Stick with your F22 if you wanted boost.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your automatic transmission will not hold the power very well....you are also neglecting you will need tuning if you do much beyond what you have, that requires you to convert to OBDI which renders the OBDII scan port useless. That can and will fail you on most state inspections.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you guys for the feedback. if i ever did the h swap, should i do the h series manual transmission, or should i have an accord 5 speed tranny? (i heard from alot of people that the accord tranny works well with the h22) what one can i get more top end power out of?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Accord transmission is going to be slower and you will drop out of VTEC on shifts, if you want a middle-ground between the H22 and F22 get the H23 transmission.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what would happen if i built the f22 just a bit? like camshaft, pully kit, valve springs, and cam gears? i dont think i would actually need 200+ horsepower, i just want it to be a little funner to drive. how much more power would that give me?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
I've seen 160whp F22B1 but thats with a 5spd transmission. It's hard to reach that kind of goal without an H swap. It'll cost thousands of dollars just to get it up there.

Go H if you want to go NA. Stick with your F22 if you wanted boost.
about this much^^^...maybe less since your auto

Originally Posted by Frank K
what would happen if i built the f22 just a bit? like camshaft, pully kit, valve springs, and cam gears? i dont think i would actually need 200+ horsepower, i just want it to be a little funner to drive. how much more power would that give me?
but even then youll need a tune
Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your planning on making your 200 whp accord id go with a cheap turbo kit like something off ebay. if you hook up the oil lines correct those turbos will last a while.the reason id go with a turbo on an f22 is because they have low compression. but with this id highly reccomend a 5 speed conversion.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i appreciate the feedback :D i have decided i will do a 5 speed conversion once i have the money. and also i put a LOT of miles on this car. i live near seattle wa, and i drive to portland a couple times a month. will a turbo be a good idea for all the milage my car is gonna seew in the future?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by henryc78
if your planning on making your 200 whp accord id go with a cheap turbo kit like something off ebay. if you hook up the oil lines correct those turbos will last a while.the reason id go with a turbo on an f22 is because they have low compression. but with this id highly reccomend a 5 speed conversion.
do not go with a ebay tubo kit

i appreciate the feedback :D i have decided i will do a 5 speed conversion once i have the money. and also i put a LOT of miles on this car. i live near seattle wa, and i drive to portland a couple times a month. will a turbo be a good idea for all the milage my car is gonna seew in the future?
how many miles are we talkin
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want a little more power out of her, run 8pounds on your stock engine. But your auto like me, so either gonna have to upgrade your tranny torque converter or probably just go with a manual if you boost.. I was going to but after thinking about it auto keeps me driving slower. And your not going to get great results for the money imo.

Throw a fifty shot on it and a torque converter on the tranny.. But its what you want out of it. Me, I have a f22b1 and auto tranny with 69k on it. I did the basic bolt ons, minus a cai, and now just making the car prettier lol.

Go with a H swap and tranny swap all at once. Take your time and build the engine over time. you got a healthy tranny and engine, as do I, no reason to waste it. Drive the **** out of it and build something BEASTY on the side. Then in a year or 2 drop her in and get it tuned. Your better off on building something slowly and right with a good amount of money instead of skating by. Youl have problems in the future if you go cheap once you start talking real power.

Again all my opinion. Just letting you know since I am in the same exact boat as you.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wolfy47
do not go with a ebay tubo kit

how many miles are we talkin
well the body has over 200k on it, but i blew my motor last week. i could only afford another f22 vtec swap, but that motor only has 60k on it. but that brings up another question... my car shell was made in 97, and the motor im getting was from 96. i heard in my state (washington) that its not too legal to have an older motor in a newer car. would it really matter in my case? its the same exact motor i had, just ALOT less miles.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Toyota00
If you want a little more power out of her, run 8pounds on your stock engine. But your auto like me, so either gonna have to upgrade your tranny torque converter or probably just go with a manual if you boost.. I was going to but after thinking about it auto keeps me driving slower. And your not going to get great results for the money imo.

Throw a fifty shot on it and a torque converter on the tranny.. But its what you want out of it. Me, I have a f22b1 and auto tranny with 69k on it. I did the basic bolt ons, minus a cai, and now just making the car prettier lol.

Go with a H swap and tranny swap all at once. Take your time and build the engine over time. you got a healthy tranny and engine, as do I, no reason to waste it. Drive the **** out of it and build something BEASTY on the side. Then in a year or 2 drop her in and get it tuned. Your better off on building something slowly and right with a good amount of money instead of skating by. Youl have problems in the future if you go cheap once you start talking real power.

Again all my opinion. Just letting you know since I am in the same exact boat as you.
yeah i agree with not buying cheap parts lol. i cant really afford a 2nd car, but i love my accord (aside from the auto part) i do wanna swap it out to manual since i can drive stick now. but i just wanna have a daily driver thats fun, and good looking. the reason i am actually modding this car is because i think its a beautiful car inside and out. its also very practical, and has one of my favorite interiors of any car. would an "h" swap be that good of an option? would it still be a reliable car for every day use?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya man, h swap is very reliable if done right and you get a good tune. There is a guy on here by nusdog, he has a 94 I believe and its pretty quick. Granted he has some money into the internals, but its all motor.

Accords are sweet cars. I agree man, I want to get a coupe next. Accords FTW!

Heres a couple links to his build and youtube vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXf_kmBum-I

http://cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=612
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

!!!!!! REALLY?! an is300?!!! thats nuts that can be done with an accord! thats another favorite car of mine too... er... it was... :p accords ftw! i see an h swap in the near future.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

toyota00 i saw your car on another forum or something, and its beautiful. where did you get the rear windshield visor? i have been looking for one of those forever.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the body has over 200k on it, but i blew my motor last week. i could only afford another f22 vtec swap, but that motor only has 60k on it. but that brings up another question... my car shell was made in 97, and the motor im getting was from 96. i heard in my state (washington) that its not too legal to have an older motor in a newer car. would it really matter in my case? its the same exact motor i had, just ALOT less miles.
if washington is like cali (emissions wise) than that swap you have is illegal...but if your willing to turbo/swap the engine then that wont really matter much to you

what you should have done was a F23 swap...but heres something you should think about, if your adding HP than you should prob upgrade your brakes and your suspension before anything just for safety and maintenance reasons

also the muti-qoute button works wonders
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i already have upgraded suspension, and brakes. and here in washington, they are not that **** about emissions. they never look under my hood, in fact i just passed 3 weeks ago, and dont need to do it again for 2 years. if i still have the car (which i probally will) i will have already done a swap (hopefully)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man I got it off ebay. Here is the seller I used. There is another guy on here that has them but they are more squared. I wanted a rounded one.

Thanks for the compliments man. You should come post in the sohc squad in the group section.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1918&viewitem=
Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had bad experiences with GS on crappy quality products...bought a fugen lip from him about 2 years ago. None of the tabs were cut right, the lip came with wood screws, it was to short on both sides...then when i went back to his shop to show how crappy it was he started giving me dumbass excuses on how hes sold thousands of these lips and has never once had a problem or complaint and that i must be running a aftermarket bumper off another car

needless to say i got my 60 bucks back after about 30 minutes of arguing
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. My visor was packaged really well, bubble wrapped, corners extra wrap. Perfect fit and fast shipping. I have no complaints from him.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Toyota00
Hey man I got it off ebay. Here is the seller I used. There is another guy on here that has them but they are more squared. I wanted a rounded one.

Thanks for the compliments man. You should come post in the sohc squad in the group section.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1918&viewitem=
idk if my car is actually "squad worthy" yet lol. its pretty clean, but people like to talk crap because my alteza tail lights, and the fact that i have one piece projector headlights. people dont really think of my car as jdm... :p ill give it a shot tho.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Naw man the sohc squad is coool. Only one I post it. Everyone else hates on everything. Everyone hates on my car lol. Its how people are...to me car is art. I do what I want to my car to express my taste. Great if you don't like it, but cool if you do. No need to sit here and say this is whack, thats dumb, whyd you do this.

express yourself with your ride man. Sohc your in if you post there a decent amout and have a sohc engine, which you do. Same as me!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would anyone hate your car? its definately the cleanest accord i have seen so far. once my car comes back from the shop, ill take some pics and post them. thanks man :D

Quick Reply: how can i pull this off??? D: