Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help on replacing Hood Release Cable..

Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on replacing Hood Release Cable..

I have a 2002 Honda Accord and the hood will not shut. The hood release cable needs replacing according to the dealership. I would like to do this myself and wanted to see if anyone had any detailed instruction or a general idea of what needed to be done. Any help would be appreciated or any if you know where I can find this information.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help on replacing Hood Release Cable.. (rprice6)

well it's not rocket science; just a pain in the a$$. The cable routes thru into the fender well of the drivers side. You will have to drop out the fender liner.
Shove out the hood latch part of the cable from the inside of the car and just track it as the original hooks up thru the same path.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on replacing Hood Release Cable.. (rprice6)

Originally Posted by hondadude
well it's not rocket science; just a pain in the a$$. The cable routes thru into the fender well of the drivers side. You will have to drop out the fender liner.
Shove out the hood latch part of the cable from the inside of the car and just track it as the original hooks up thru the same path.
Thanks...I just took a quick look at it, I was wondering how to get at it. Dropping the inner fender will do it.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on replacing Hood Release Cable..

Originally Posted by rprice6
I have a 2002 Honda Accord and the hood will not shut. The hood release cable needs replacing according to the dealership. I would like to do this myself and wanted to see if anyone had any detailed instruction or a general idea of what needed to be done. Any help would be appreciated or any if you know where I can find this information.

Hold off. You may not have to replace the cable to get it closed. Mine doesn't close shut neither, but I know how to get it closed manually. I think you might just have the same problem. Can you post a picture of the locking mechanism when you have the hood open? give me a close-up pix to show the cable at the mechanism and everything.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by celicool
Hold off. You may not have to replace the cable to get it closed. Mine doesn't close shut neither, but I know how to get it closed manually. I think you might just have the same problem. Can you post a picture of the locking mechanism when you have the hood open? give me a close-up pix to show the cable at the mechanism and everything.
I've lubed the heck out of the entire mechanism. It feels like the cable is the part that is sticking. There is a "lever" I can push on to get the cable to retract and get the hood closed. That's likely what you are referring to.... (I'll post pictures later on today when I can get a chance.)
The car is for my son who lives in another state so I want it this to be one less thing for him to worry about. I'll probably look at it this weekend. Thank you !
Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JerrysF23a
I've lubed the heck out of the entire mechanism. It feels like the cable is the part that is sticking. There is a "lever" I can push on to get the cable to retract and get the hood closed. That's likely what you are referring to.... (I'll post pictures later on today when I can get a chance.)
The car is for my son who lives in another state so I want it this to be one less thing for him to worry about. I'll probably look at it this weekend. Thank you !

Yes, that was what I had in mind but wasn't sure if your mechanism was built the same way. I have always thought that if I could lube the inside of the cable, that would have probably fixed it. But, I would have to pull out the entire cable to do that so I just live with it.