Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   help...frozen crank pulley bolt (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/help-frozen-crank-pulley-bolt-1069894/)

seraniko 11-29-2004 11:06 AM

help...frozen crank pulley bolt

any tricks in loosening a stuck crank pulley bolt on a older accord? is it clockwise to lossen it?

Turbowa 11-29-2004 11:08 AM

Re: help...frozen crank pulley bolt (seraniko)

One word: SEARCH. Its been covered a hundred times. You'll will have to use some balls to get it off.

TouringAccord 11-29-2004 11:24 AM

yes, search. If you search the archives of the Accord forum alone you'll get 99 results related to "timing belt". Here is one where this guy was having a big problem getting his off. There are some good suggestions and one not so good one IMO, you'll see what I mean.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=912676

Beach Accord 11-29-2004 11:28 AM

use a cheater pipe, extra long.....

use an impact gun (IR titanium 1000ftlb works well)

TOAB 11-29-2004 12:52 PM

those things never come off.. only things ive seen workis a big big impact.

alotawatts 11-29-2004 01:23 PM

I have never pulled one but (your question of direction) I do not think it's reverse threaded ! The crank/pulley spins counter-clockwise right ? Righty-tighty lefty-loosey ?

arielb1 11-29-2004 01:57 PM

Correct, counter-clockwise to lossen as normal.

I took mine off with an impact wrench. Got one from Lowe's 550 ft lbs. It came right off. I have heard from my friend, Honda mechanic, that some are a bitch. If the impact wrench does not take it off immediately, then you may need a breaker bar and harmonic balancer tool. It is a tool designed to remove the crank bolt while your socket fits inside this bolt. Search for harmonic crank bolt on this site. good luck. Oh, I did a entire write up on changing a timing belt. Let me know and I will send to you. I have a 96 civic and in the process of doing a head gasket replacement....Good luck

hawkmgc 11-29-2004 09:48 PM

Re: help...frozen crank pulley bolt (arielb1)

Odd, I got mine off w/o impac.

All I did is lock up the crank by the flywheel (after removing the dust shield), put on a 1/2 wrench, gave it a few good smacks by hand going counter clock wise, and off it came.

The big issue is locking up the ability to have it spin on you. After that the pully came off by hand. Just wiggled it from side to side pulling at the same time. Guess from what I see I was one of the lucky ones.

Good Luck

TOAB 11-29-2004 11:15 PM

Re: help...frozen crank pulley bolt (arielb1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct, counter-clockwise to lossen as normal.

I took mine off with an impact wrench. Got one from Lowe's 550 ft lbs. It came right off. I have heard from my friend, Honda mechanic, that some are a bitch. If the impact wrench does not take it off immediately, then you may need a breaker bar and harmonic balancer tool. It is a tool designed to remove the crank bolt while your socket fits inside this bolt. Search for harmonic crank bolt on this site. good luck. Oh, I did a entire write up on changing a timing belt. Let me know and I will send to you. I have a 96 civic and in the process of doing a head gasket replacement....Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>harmonic balancer pullers work by threading in 3 bolts and then turning a center one to push outward... that pulley does not have 3 holes to plug those bolts in. use a generic puller if it will fit around the outsides.

TouringAccord 11-30-2004 03:18 AM

Re: help...frozen crank pulley bolt (hawkmgc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hawkmgc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
All I did is lock up the crank by the flywheel (after removing the dust shield), put on a 1/2 wrench
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please don't suggest this without telling them of the possible damage they can cause. Not saying it happens to everyone but it has happened and that enough for me not to do it. For an example of what can happen, look through the link I posted earlier. I posted a link to a thread where this guy used this method and damaged his clutch housing of the tranny. Take a look, there are pictures.

TouringAccord 11-30-2004 03:22 AM

Re: help...frozen crank pulley bolt (TOAB)

Those bolts do come off without using an impact. I've done it three times now.

I use this tool.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/media/SP-60100.jpg

This is the tool I believe arielb1 was refering to.

maroonaccord2.2 11-30-2004 06:16 AM

It's a pain. I ended up using a 1/2" breaker bar, and a 4' peice of pipe over the handle to get the thing loose. I had to use a lot of elbow grease though.....

Guru Designs 12-01-2004 07:22 AM

these bolts are known to be a pain in the ass. what works for me every single time i do a timing belt in my shop is a lil heat. torch the WASHER and it should come right out.

seraniko 12-01-2004 08:54 AM

Re: (tobe2be)

finally got it out with 1/2" impact after soaking it overnight with liquid wrench....thx for all the help guys.....that tool is a must have if an impact is not available.... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

miller.91.HB 12-01-2004 11:57 AM

Re: (tobe2be)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tobe2be &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">these bolts are known to be a pain in the ass. what works for me every single time i do a timing belt in my shop is a lil heat. torch the WASHER and it should come right out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup!

http://motorcyclecity.com/Tech_Tips/...pane-Torch.gif

Schmitey 12-01-2004 12:24 PM

Re: help...frozen crank pulley bolt (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For an example of what can happen, look through the link I posted earlier. I posted a link to a thread where this guy used this method and damaged his clutch housing of the tranny. Take a look, there are pictures.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright I'm gonna lose some pride here but you win. Just looked at those pictures and holy shit did he do a number to his crank housing!!! I still think I'd invest the money in a compressor and good gun, but I'm just stubborn.

Also you guys figure it would hurt anthing to run over to a buddy's house, loosen the bolt with his gun, loosely tighten in back up, then drive home to do the rest of the work?

TouringAccord 12-02-2004 03:53 AM

Re: help...frozen crank pulley bolt (Schmitey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schmitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also you guys figure it would hurt anthing to run over to a buddy's house, loosen the bolt with his gun, loosely tighten in back up, then drive home to do the rest of the work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably not. I've heard of others on this board doing that same thing. They didn't seem to have problems so I dought you would.

TOAB 12-02-2004 06:40 AM

just make sure its tighter than your fingers can put it on...

lopster 12-30-2004 07:00 AM

Re: (TOAB)

haha I did that and the fking bolt came loose. I heard a clunk and i was like ohh ishht. I got to my house and drove my other car back to look for the bolt and amazingly i found it on the ground in the middle of traffic. lucky my pulley didn't come out.