Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

HELP catalytic converter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP catalytic converter problem?

HELP ME!!

i think i need a new catalytic converter!

it seems like right when im taking off the car wants to bog down, like its clogged, and if i press the pedal to the floor it starts to jerk and go. like it pushes whatever is clogging the car out. and sometimes (1x a day) when im going 55 mph, the car like jumps for 10 seconds.

it happens when i first go in the morning, i take off, when i start going over 10 mph it starts. and when i stop at a stoplight, then go, it starts again.

help meee!!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP catalytic converter problem?

When you pee in the morning the car starts? I've never seen a jumping car before. That's AWSOME !!!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^lmao

do you have a cel??what kind of car is it (year make model eng etc) more info would be helpful.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by honduhh
HELP ME!!

i think i need a new catalytic converter!

it seems like right when im taking off the car wants to bog down, like its clogged, and if i press the pedal to the floor it starts to jerk and go. like it pushes whatever is clogging the car out. and sometimes (1x a day) when im going 55 mph, the car like jumps for 10 seconds.

it happens when i first go in the morning, i take off, when i start going over 10 mph it starts. and when i stop at a stoplight, then go, it starts again.

help meee!!
I doubt that you've a converter issue.
Converters fail in three ways.
1) Contaminated (lousy fuel) (causes CEL's on OBD2 vehicles)
2) Broken Elements (thermal shock) (causes rattles)
3) Melted Elements (excessive /rich fuel mixtures) (restricts exhaust flow)

A clogged converter will stay clogged. It won't clog one day and not the next. Usually clogged converters will not allow RPM's over a certain range and will make the car feel like you've got a humongus elastic band holding you back.
It can be verified with a vacuum gauge attached to the intake manifold.

I would recommend having the ECM scanned for codes. Deathzone Autoparts will do this as a customer courtesy.

P
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

^^thats what i was gonna say. do what he says and go from there
Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM

94 honda accord lx. 158000 miles
no CEL

And when I'm hitting the gas there's a popping noise
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM

2.2L au
And also when I stop the car idles LOWWWW and rough and wants to stall.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

94 honda accord lx. 158000 miles
no CEL

And when I'm hitting the gas there's a popping noise
If this popping sound is rythmic and coming from the intake system, you may have a burned / bent intake valve.
If it's coming from the exhaust, the same could be suspected of the exhaust valve.
If it's totally random, it could be either ignition or fuel delivery.

I'd suggest a quick compression test to ascertain the engines internal health before this turns into a guess-o-thon.

P
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 AM

Well this only happens when I'm first taking off.. And it seem like the noise is coming from the gas tank and under the hood. How would u check that
Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you think you have a clogged cat convertor wrap the cat in aluminum foil being careful not to puncture it. Start the car, check the foil for holes, if no holes, rev the motor and check again.

The cat has somewhat of a release valve where it can slightly open up the flange connection if to much pressure is accumulating. This would cause the foil to tear near the flanges.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
If you think you have a clogged cat convertor wrap the cat in aluminum foil being careful not to puncture it. Start the car, check the foil for holes, if no holes, rev the motor and check again.

The cat has somewhat of a release valve where it can slightly open up the flange connection if to much pressure is accumulating. This would cause the foil to tear near the flanges.
...and after this, use the aluminum foil to fashion a hat, shinny side out to repulse alien death rays.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

8) definitely!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am replying/piggy backing this thread because my 03 accord/7th gen (105k) is having similar problem.
I went to the dealer to get an oil change (cheapest and free inspection). They told me over the phone that my catalytic converter need to be replaced. When I came in to pick up the car they wrote on the receipt that the converter heat shields are rotting loose. They said it may not pass inspection next year.

However, I also think my problem is like the original poster. and the third person who replied to him. The car feels a little "bogged down"

it seems like right when im taking off the car wants to bog down, like its clogged, and if i press the pedal to the floor it starts to jerk and go. like it pushes whatever is clogging the car out. !

The above sentence sort of describes my car. Right now the jerk is very very slight. The dealer just did a basic inspection (since it was just in for an oil change) so I am not sure if they would tell me if it clogged. Rotting heat shields may I still imply need a new converter. But wouldn't a clogged one mean I need it sooner rather than later?

They did say it would cost $245 to fix.

Is that the typical cost for a converter? or were they quoting me for the rotting shields?

Last edited by wantathonda2009; 11-10-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantathonda2009
I am replying/piggy backing this thread because my 03 accord/7th gen (105k) is having similar problem.
I went to the dealer to get an oil change (cheapest and free inspection). They told me over the phone that my catalytic converter need to be replaced. When I came in to pick up the car they wrote on the receipt that the converter heat shields are rotting loose. They said it may not pass inspection next year.

However, I also think my problem is like the original poster. and the third person who replied to him. The car feels a little "bogged down"

The above sentence sort of describes my car. Right now the jerk is very very slight. The dealer just did a basic inspection (since it was just in for an oil change) so I am not sure if they would tell me if it clogged. Rotting heat shields may I still imply need a new converter. But wouldn't a clogged one mean I need it sooner rather than later?

They did say it would cost $245 to fix.

Is that the typical cost for a converter? or were they quoting me for the rotting shields?
Well:

First off; the shields aren't available separately - they are permanently welded to the converter case during manufacturing.

Second, Converter shields are not an Inspection Item

Thirdly, IF you have a defective converter - it will effect ALL cylinder's equally. It will not cause just one cylinder to skip / misfire (as it sounds here)

Forth: IF you have a defective converter (inefficient / contaminated) it will set a CEL lamp warning on '97 and later Honda's based on samplings from the secondary O2 sensor.

I suspect that there could be a single spark plug, wire or in later instances ignition coil(s) that is causing this. It is certainly something that is effecting just one cylinder alone. Vacuum hose leak, dirty injector etc.

P
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P_Adams
Well:

First off; the shields aren't available separately - they are permanently welded to the converter case during manufacturing.

Second, Converter shields are not an Inspection Item

Thirdly, IF you have a defective converter - it will effect ALL cylinder's equally. It will not cause just one cylinder to skip / misfire (as it sounds here)

Forth: IF you have a defective converter (inefficient / contaminated) it will set a CEL lamp warning on '97 and later Honda's based on samplings from the secondary O2 sensor.

I suspect that there could be a single spark plug, wire or in later instances ignition coil(s) that is causing this. It is certainly something that is effecting just one cylinder alone. Vacuum hose leak, dirty injector etc.

P
P Adams thank you for replying, I was hoping you would.

They inspect certain things when they do oil changes/services.

The sentence on the receipt says "The converter shields have rotted looose $245 to replace."

True or not. I am more concerned about the whole converter. Don't want them or anyone else attempting to partially fix a converter IF the whole things is a mess. If somehow they can why not pay $245 instead of $800. But the inspection of the whole converter system was surely not part of the oil change.

Not too familiar with this valve, skipping misfiring business slowly learning about cars. Not sure how else to replicate car problem. The feeling of lag actually more when I let up on the gas like when I am cruising the engine just seems to drop off. As if it is not maintaining its RPM. As if something is being blocked. I know nothing about a catalytic converter until I went up and googled it after the service. Now I am wondering if I am trying to find more problems. I would like to believe that a dealer would find a big problem. But again a full inspection wasn't their goal they just noticed the heat shields.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantathonda2009
P Adams thank you for replying, I was hoping you would.

They inspect certain things when they do oil changes/services.

The sentence on the receipt says "The converter shields have rotted looose $245 to replace."

True or not. I am more concerned about the whole converter. Don't want them or anyone else attempting to partially fix a converter IF the whole things is a mess. If somehow they can why not pay $245 instead of $800. But the inspection of the whole converter system was surely not part of the oil change.

Not too familiar with this valve, skipping misfiring business slowly learning about cars. Not sure how else to replicate car problem. The feeling of lag actually more when I let up on the gas like when I am cruising the engine just seems to drop off. As if it is not maintaining its RPM. As if something is being blocked. I know nothing about a catalytic converter until I went up and googled it after the service. Now I am wondering if I am trying to find more problems. I would like to believe that a dealer would find a big problem. But again a full inspection wasn't their goal they just noticed the heat shields.
I stand self-corrected. The converter shields may be available for your vehicle. But they are not critical to your issue and will not keep you from an inspection sticker.

There is a problem however:
Both the upper and lower shield represent a price of $86.00 which is the worst-case there is at Honda Suggested list price. Refer:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...T+PIPE+%282%29

all the rest must be labor......

P
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I stand self-corrected. The converter shields may be available for your vehicle. But they are not critical to your issue and will not keep you from an inspection sticker.

There is a problem however:
Both the upper and lower shield represent a price of $86.00 which is the worst-case there is at Honda Suggested list price. Refer:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...T+PIPE+%282%29

all the rest must be labor......

P
Well I hope you are right. If the entire thing was broken they would have told me before right? I guess I will have to get a second person to look at it get the parts and cheaper labor.
This car has been pretty reliable so didn't want to have this big purchase at only 104k.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Trial User

I doubt that you've a converter issue.
Converters fail in three ways.
1) Contaminated (lousy fuel) (causes CEL's on OBD2 vehicles)
2) Broken Elements (thermal shock) (causes rattles)
3) Melted Elements (excessive /rich fuel mixtures) (restricts exhaust flow)

A clogged converter will stay clogged. It won't clog one day and not the next. Usually clogged converters will not allow RPM's over a certain range and will make the car feel like you've got a humongus elastic band holding you back.
It can be verified with a vacuum gauge attached to the intake manifold.

I would recommend having the ECM scanned for codes. Deathzone Autoparts will do this as a customer courtesy.

P

Good morning, I'm having simular problems. At first I thought it was just maybe a vacuum line, but it kind of feels like a go kart and made your hesitation whenever you hit the gas would that be the converter?