Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help: Car dies randomly on very hot days

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help: Car dies randomly on very hot days

Ok so I have a weird problem, first off let me say that my girlfriend lives almost an hour away, that is needed info. So one day this summer I was going to see her, it was in June I believe a very hot day, 90+ degrees, I was running the AC, cruising along everything was fine, I turned off the highway onto the rural road she live on and continue on. I get within 10 minutes of her house and the car dies, while going 60+ mph down the road, so I put it in neutral and coast off the road. Once I am stopped I put it in park and try to restart, it wont. So I call her and tell her to come and get me, while waiting I try several more times to restart after about 5 minutes it starts, runs for 20 or so seconds and dies again.

She arrives and I decide to call AAA for a tow, she happens to work at a local Honda dealer and says she can have one of her tech friends look at it for free, he is a 15+ year Honda tech, and has worked on my other car before, so I have it towed there. We head to her house and wait for a call from the tech, a few hours later he calls and says its the ignitor in the distributor, I pick up the car the next day, take it home, and replace it. Problem solved.

Skip to a week later, same deal driving to her house, almost there, same kind of day, really hot, car dies again, I was pretty annoyed, have her pick me up, have car towed to dealer again. He doesn't get to it till the next day and tells me he let it run with the AC on for over an hour and a half and it wont die, cant recreate the issue, his suggestion is the coil, since the ignitor is new, I buy it and install it myself. Again problem solved yay.

Two weeks later, guess what, same exact thing happens, now I'm pretty pissed already spent about $200 in parts and it is doing the same thing. Once again tow it to dealer, thank god for AAA or I would be broke from paying for 45 mile tows. Tech calls, he diagnoses it as the main fuel relay, it is common for them to fail in the heat, and when they cool off the car starts again, I had a friend have the same problem on his civic so I figured that made pretty good sense. I install it myself and the problem is again fixed.

Next week same thing dies once more, tow, dealer, The tech is now on vacation, for the next 6 days, when he returns he has a backlog of work, and long story short my wagon sits there for the better part of 3 weeks untouched. I have a backup car, albeit with no AC, thankfully. He calls me and says he is out of ideas, he again let it run for a long time and it wouldn't die, his best guess is a fuel pump, but says it is very rare for them to fail, and has never replaced one on a wagon, he doesn't know where it is located, or how to access it.

So that's where I'm at, it has cooled since then and I have had no further problems, I pulled up the rear seat and cargo area cover, looking for the fuel pump, and only found the fuel float. I guess its only a $100 bucks for a new one, if I knew where it was i would probably go ahead and replace it, I fear I need to drop the tank I found a picture online and it shows the pump on the other side of the tank from the float, and with old, rusty tank straps I'm reluctant to do that.

If anyone has ANY other ideas I would love to hear them, or has replaced there fuel pump, I would like verification on the location please, thanks in advance for the help guys.

As a recap
New Coil
New Ignitor
New Main Relay
New Cap & Rotor

Car is a 95 ex automatic, with a f23a1 out of a 2000 accord ex other than that its completely stock, no I didn't mess something up doing the swap, its been in there for almost 2 years now and the problem just started 6 months ago.

Last edited by krc91987; 01-13-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help: Car dies randomly on very hot days

I'd look into testing the ign switch. They can wear, then after getting hot, no current flow.

Happen to have a volt meter or test light.......

Don't get caught up in the years mentioned in this link

http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html

Then there is the main relay......see same link
Old 01-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to add that in, the ignition switch was tested by both me and the technician at the dealer it checks out, also the main relay has already been replaced with a brand new onn from the dealer
Old 01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How was the switch tested? Again, IF and when it gets hot it can fail.......so next time it does this, get the car to the side of the road and DO NOT move the key.....put the e-brake on.....do you have 12v on the BLK/YEL wire at the dist,,,,,,,,
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having the same problem but when its cold outside for some reason. i have to stay on the gas like on an old carburated car when i come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign if i dont it dies.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Given that you already replaced most of the only components that could cause this issue I would either just replace the ignition switch which is a 40 dollar part from rockauto or atleast test it immediately within seconds of it producing the issue.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'm bringing this back from the dead it was 98 here today and on my way back home it died luckily I wasnt very far so I moved it in half mile increments over an hour till I got it here, but this has got to be fixed its gonna be this hot for the next 2 weeks supposedly.

This time when it happened it seemed to sputter a little not like a lack of fuel sputter but almost like an electrical stutter, any and all ideas are welcome, please help me solve this
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bucknastty
im having the same problem but when its cold outside for some reason. i have to stay on the gas like on an old carburated car when i come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign if i dont it dies.
I was having that problem recently, check your vacuum lines and sensors.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate that idea but i can assure you its not vaccum related, a sensor perhaps in fact I was thinking it may be the cam positon sensor, any input on that anyone
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup been theere minus all the new parts youve added. I just tried my best to drive the car when theer was no traffic and usually when you put the AC on it takes up alot of resources. I have a 96 contour 340 000 KM on it and i changed the water pump and fuel pump and it was good to go after.

GO to this website http://www.hondapartsdirect.com/
has everything you need much cheaper and OEM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, just replace the ignition switch and see if that fixes the problem. It's like 40 bucks. If not, then you'd have to test fuel pressure, could be the fuel pump shorting out.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about the plug wires? I didnt see where you said you replaced them...check them with a multi-meter, now granted the resistance will vary with length, but if one(Especially the coil wire) is way off from the others, that could be the problem. Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to do some testing tonight, fuel pressure is good, checked the blk/ylw wire at distributor had 12.33v, all cylinders have spark, thinking it may be the cam sensor in the distributor getting hot, anyone have any opinions on that
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When it dies do you check for spark? Its probably a bad distributor. Mine did the exact same thing.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it has spark immediately after it dies, and has a new coil and ignitor, thats why I was thinking cam sensor