Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help on 99 Accord dying

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Help on 99 Accord dying

I have a 1999 Accord EX 2.3L with auto trans. I put this thing up for sale a few weeks ago because I don't have it tagged any longer. I don't drive it, nor do I need it anymore. Had someone come to look at it. Started it in my garage 5 minutes before they got here, to warm it up, so they could see it doesn't overheat or anything. When they got to my place, I got in it to pull it out where they could see it better. Soon as I put it in drive... it shut off. No sputter or anything. Just died as if I used the key to turn the car off. Tried to start it back up. It started for an instant and shut off again. I turned the key totally off, then tried again, and it started and ran okay. We even took it on a 15 minute test drive on a back road. They left not wanting it though. I guess the stalling scared them off.
Again today I went out and started it. Everything was okay. I turned it off and tried to start it back up... it started for a second and stalled. I tried again, and it started up and ran fine.
Now I've heard of the recall on the ignition switch on some of these. But when it's running... I wiggle the key around violently... but it continues running fine. I looked inside the fuel cut off relay... no broken solder points. Everything looks okay.
I'm leaning towards distributor. Just never seen one go in and out like that. I thought either they worked... or they didn't. Anyone heard of a distributor throwing fits like that?
I even thought of possibly a throttle position sensor. Or even a crank position sensor. No codes ever get thrown when it dies though.
Now before I came in tonight, I pulled the distributor cap (noticed slite oil leak inside from inner shaft seal)..... cleaned (roughed up with fine sandpapper) both spots of current transfer on the rotor button, center point under distributor cap in middle that contacts rotor button, and all 4 spots that fire my spark plugs, and checked spark plugs (looked clean and good). I'll have to see how it reacts to that when I get home tomorrow and fire it up again.

I'm asking for opinions here. Or checking to see if anyone has ever had this issue.

I would have done a forum search, but for some reason the site or my phone Internet won't let me use that option. And I would be here 2 or 3 months if I had to go through and read every post relating to my issue. I'm trying to solve this issue fast so the person that buys this sweet Accord isn't stuck with a LEMON. You know?? Only thing I have done to it in a while, is put recomended ammount of seafoam in the gas tank and in the oil before I changed it a few weeks back. I also sent it into the throttle body with car running, and ran some through the vacuum system entering the hose at the brake booster (suggested spot for intake cleaning). I'm lost here!!!!
Anyone got advice???? All input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Forgot to add that this problem never lasts long enough to check for spark or fuel pressure.

Just let it warm up today. Turned it off... didn't stay running when I started it back up. Shut off! But started right back up. I'm LOST!!!

Last edited by go250mph; 08-01-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help on 99 Accord dying

CRAZY!!!! Forgot to throw this on here when I found out the problem. It turned out that it WAS the ignition switch. I guess it was such a slight short, that beating on the steering column wasn't enough to make the car shut off. It would shut the car off whenever it felt like giving me a hard time!!! But would usually start right back up. The only couple times it didn't fire back up, was because I was not turning the key all the way off and back on again to build fuel pressure in the lines, so the engine would get gas upon turning the key to start it. HEADACHE. But hey.... what can ya do. I ordered a switch on Ebay for like $30 I think. And it fixed the issue all together. Would of liked to of kept that Accord... but it had to go. Main reasons... it was an Slush-o-matic... not a manual, and it was pushing it's limits on high milage for my taste. There will be another one to take its place soon though.
Peace out everybody. Maybe somebody with the same problem one day will read this and it will save them some frustration. And there's clips on YouTube on replacing the switch as well.