Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Heater blowing out hot air

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blowing out hot air

Hey guys my car heater is blowing out hot air that is coming from the hood of my car. The heater and A/C both work and function properly but driving with this random hot air blowing in my face is bothersome and dangerous. I was wondering if it could be a coolant problem or maybe something with the gasket since I've had people work on the gasket before. Everytime i add oil the hot air that comes from the car seems to be fumes, since then I haven't added anymore oil. Feeling kinda stuck opinions and thoughts are appreciated!!
Old 04-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: Heater blowing out hot air

Do you have the fresh air vent open and your climate control set on hot ?
Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps your climate control that switches between fresh, and recirculated air is stuck in the fresh position, which is constantly outside air into the cabin. When moving, smells from under the hood, or in the environment outside, will be strong.

I can only speak for my Accord, but on mine I can hear the motor that controls the damping system that lets in, or blocks, that fresh air.

You should check the switches, etc, before focusing on the motor on the blower, but if it comes to that, this thread here has good info and a really good diagram of how that system is structured:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ymore-3232218/
Old 04-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by stin1
Do you have the fresh air vent open and your climate control set on hot ?
I closed the fresh air vent but i can still smell it coming through although faintly and no everything is off
Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by brakedrum
Perhaps your climate control that switches between fresh, and recirculated air is stuck in the fresh position, which is constantly outside air into the cabin. When moving, smells from under the hood, or in the environment outside, will be strong.

I can only speak for my Accord, but on mine I can hear the motor that controls the damping system that lets in, or blocks, that fresh air.

You should check the switches, etc, before focusing on the motor on the blower, but if it comes to that, this thread here has good info and a really good diagram of how that system is structured:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ymore-3232218/
Maybe i need a new climate control switch was what i was thinking but when i get a chance ill look under the hood using the diagrams you sent me it will be really useful its just kinda hard trying to track a smell in a car
Old 04-11-2019, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be the switch, or that the mechanism the switch is supposed to send power to is not working properly.

If you look around under the dash, you should see the things in that other photo, including the motor that controls the flap that switches from external air to air that is recirculated inside the cabin.

On my Accord, the glove compartment must be removed to get a clean shot at opening the blower housing. But even without the glove compartment removed you might be able to get a look at the motor that opens and closes that part so you can confirm that it is getting power.