Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Super smooth tight fireing engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super smooth tight fireing engine

i was at the track the other day and there was one car in particular had a super tight sounding engine. it was a v8 5 something liter. but i noticed Bisimotos all motor dragster has that same tightness. how do i achieve this?

in other words. i couldn't hear any clunky sounds at all. and it just fired almost perfect sounding. there wasn't any odd timed pop sounds. it was like a machine gun firing with perfect spaces in between each explosion.

kind of like in this video. its hard to hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_H9ljgUKs

does it have to do with cams and springs. or is it an ignition thing.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super smooth tight fireing engine

yea l would like the same with my motor. l would have to say just the perfect combination build. everything was just built to a blueprint perfect to spec. correct crank,rods,pistons,bearings,cams,valvetrain. but lm sure its probally all Bisimoto parts and probally all stage 3. basically lots of money for parts/labor. also u have to consider thats a race car, not sure what u have but if its a dd/race car find a beater car and go for a good tear down and build up
Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by granny racer
in other words. i couldn't hear any clunky sounds at all. and it just fired almost perfect sounding. there wasn't any odd timed pop sounds. it was like a machine gun firing with perfect spaces in between each explosion.
does it have to do with cams and springs. or is it an ignition thing.
There are several factors that will cause a particular engine to sound different than others. A 90* V8 will sound smoother than any I4 or 90* V6. Third order harmonics come into play. A 90* V8 will fire every 90*, 90*V6 will also do the same unless its a split pin crank it will appear to have a miss every 270*. And the I4 will fire every 180*, at idle it will sound slow compared to a V8.
Albeit what you are hearing with the Bismoto, hard to tell with the damn music, is the faster idle speed which makes the engine sound smoother than stock I4s. There is also the factor of how the intake and exhaust systems are modified.
A big change in sound with V8s is when headers are added, outside of the slight tinney sound the more equal flow from a header, vs a log type manifold, will help balance out the exhaust pulses. Rather than a muffled burble you will hear a cackle. A properly constructed exhaust with a correctly placed crossover will also help balance out the exhaust pulses.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres another video. it sounds a little gallop-y but maybe someone can spot a clue as to why this car is so ****ing fast and scary sounding. so far ive noticed that this car is STRIPPED !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4TG...eature=related