Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

H-gods... F20b wiring is giving me problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 H-gods... F20b wiring is giving me problems

I wanted to be a hero and try to be the first around town with a F20b... only problem is that the wiring is a pain. My 96 Accord LX is a OBD2a and the F20b is a OBD2b, where do I get I get a jumper harness for the PCB ecu? Then there's the engine harness, I know that the F20 is the same as an H22 but I was told to stretch the wires of my f22 so it will plug to the car harness... the whole wiring has thrown me in a loop. the engine is in and the car is ready to roll but DAMN! what do I do about the harness???
Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H-gods... F20b wiring is giving me problems

If you haven't read this swap guide it has some good information. The wiring section is based around OBDI however it applies to OBDII (for OBDII the pins they talk about rolling at the ECU do not require rolling).

H22 swap guide Accord 5th Gen

Next thing to check is are your injectors "Low" or "High" impedance. OBDII H motors (and maybe F20b motors) are "High" impedance. Your '96 Accord F motor has low impedance injectors and a "resistor" box. This resistor box will need to be bypassed if your motor has high impedance injectors. What I did when I swapped my H into my '96 Accord was get the Helms (Honda factory) manuals for both the Accord and the Prelude so I could lay out my wiring and see what parts needed to be used from the Accord and added from the Prelude. Without the two wiring diagrams it would have been impossible to make up the harness. As it was I spent five evenings with the harness spread out on the garage floor making it all up. The reward for all this work was that the motor fired right up without any wiring issues (except for the vtec solinoid connector that I forgot to plug in). Get the wiring diagrams, read the swap guide and then you will see what needs to be done. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i appreciate the guide. I really need a wiring guide to pin a obd2a to obd2b. also, i have to find out how to wire the internal coi distributor to my engine harness... the f20b uses the distributor for cam positioning and other important crap... so I heard.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gabR.
i appreciate the guide. I really need a wiring guide to pin a obd2a to obd2b. also, i have to find out how to wire the internal coil distributor to my engine harness... the f20b uses the distributor for cam positioning and other important crap... so I heard.
Check the dizzy wiring for a '94~'95 Accord. All OBDI Accords have all the sensors and coil in the dizzy (as do JDM H and F20B OBDII motors). It's easy to do and the guide should show you how to do it. It's just a matter of extending the wires from where the plug is now at the crank shaft up to the dizzy.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gabR.
i appreciate the guide. I really need a wiring guide to pin a obd2a to obd2b. also, i have to find out how to wire the internal coi distributor to my engine harness... the f20b uses the distributor for cam positioning and other important crap... so I heard.
take the 4 pin plug that runs to the crank sensor on your original harness, cut it off, extend the 4 wires back to the distributor and connect them. The colors should match up.

and for the OBD2B wiring

If using the PCB ECU, you'll need to swap the A15 FPR green/yellow wire to the A16 position or it will not start. Feel free to PM me for any specifics you need help with.

Mike