Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

grinding in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding in 5th gear

I was wondering if anyone knew what a grinding going into the 5th gear means?

I was told that it is the syncro's in the trani. So a trani re-build is all my options. Does anyone know if there is another way or what this could be caused by?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: grinding in 5th gear (singhis)

If you have no related problems with any of the other gear ranges, the Transmission needs to come apart.
One of two things has happened
As was suggested to you, The syncro rings and it's corresponding blocker ring (and perhaps the shift fork) have worn.
Or you are the victim of someone, at some time, having put the wrong oil/oil viscosity in the transmission. This causes lubrication issues (starvation), which causes wear to the fifth gear cluster as well.

P
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 AM

thank you very much.

do you what the cost of ths type of work would be?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my p.o.s. does it into 3'rd gear, only at at mid - high revs is it the same problem?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 AM

Default Re: grinding in 5th gear (P_Adams)

now this is the funny part....

When the car is cold and i fist jump in and drive off, there will be a grinding in 2nd gear and NO grinding in 5th. But when the engine is warm, there will be NO grinding in 2nd and grinding in 5th...

is this totally wierd?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd suggest you have the manual Transmission Fluid drained and put either Honda MTF of 5w30 motor oil in it.
You may be at the very beginning of these mechanical problems, and may be suffering from too thick an oil instead, gumming up the associated syncro rings until the oil warms up.
It's worth the effort, either that or the tranny's got to be yanked.

Generally speaking:
Shifting issues in all gear ranges: Clutch release issue
Shifting issues in all BUT 5th gear: Syncro / shift fork wear.
Shifting/grinding/trans popping out of gear 5th gear: Lubrication failure. worn 5th gear cluster, syncro ring etc issues.

note: Honda recommends either MTF or SAE 10w-30 SG or SH rated oil for manual trans fluid. (for the lower 48 US states). In the Great White North, you may have to go to a 5w-30 due to the cooler temps.

P
Old 02-28-2006, 10:41 AM

wow you are absolutely amazing. thank you very much for your help. Yes, i do live in Toronto, Canada so i will definately use the other type of oil

hopefully this will solve the issue if not then i know where to take things.

So if my clutch is vibrating, then its a good idea to replace the clutch plate and machine the fly wheel if i have to take out the trani right?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is an opportunity to address the clutch at the same time, You'll be looking for several things when you get it apart.
*The Flywheel
Any Blue/Black diamond shaped spots on the flywheel surface are indications of localized raised 'hot spots'
Heavy scoring (much like brake rotor damage)
-Both conditions require that the flywheel be surface ground (resurfaced)
Any cracks in the area on the center mounting bolts will require the flywheel be scrapped and a new one procured
*The Clutch Disc
Friction material glazing (overheated from excessive slipping)
Loose Center Hub shock springs loose
-Both conditions will require you ****-can the disc.

At that point you might as well pick up either a replacement clutch kit or just a disc (and take a chance on the original Pressure Plate.

Hope this helps.

P
Old 02-28-2006, 12:36 PM

it helps greatly. thank you very much.

would u happen to know what the pricing is on a re-built trani?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The going price on a reman Transmission will be a Locality driven thing. What do I mean by that? Basically it's cheaper to either pick up a guaranteed used unit locally, or have yours rebuilt; rather than purchase one elsewhere and pay the shipping on a 160# item.
In truth, I'd rather deal with a local source because
1) I have recourse if something goes wrong (hey, the guy's just down the road) and
2) Warranty administration is a lot easier with someone local. They're more likely to offer a favorable outcome, rather than chance a bad rep being circulated in town.
It shouldn't be hard to find a competent shop in the Toronto Area. It's a quite large city (as compared to Moose Dung, in the Northwest Territories ) and I'm quite sure you'll have more that one choice of shops in your area.

P
Old 02-28-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just rebuild it yourself. Order the ring, locker etc...and use your helms to rebuild it. I have a copy of the helms if you need it btw..just pm me or email me
Old 02-28-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on second thought...i have a Perfect F22b1 tranny 5spd....No issues ...for sale. Cheap too. LMK. it only has 6xxxx miles on her.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: (ayougo)

hey man, i just got your post on the forum. Ya that would be fantastic to send me what you have. If i could do myself, hell why not

thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Re: (singhis)

I have a problem with 2nd and 5th gear when it's really cold. I've discovered that it's my shift linkage, somehow.

if I pull from 1st to 2nd gear, it grinds when cold. If I pull from 1st, then move it towards where 5th and Reverse are, then pull it back again and into second, no problem at all!

Same thing with 5th, have to pull it towards 1st/2nd, then move it back over and put it in 5th.

crazy ****.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kniob)

I'd make the same suggestion of changing your mtf fluid as well. Although Kalamazoo isn't the great white north, it certainly isn't a garden spot this time of year either.

P
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd make the same suggestion of changing your mtf fluid as well. Although Kalamazoo isn't the great white north, it certainly isn't a garden spot this time of year either.

P</TD></TR></TABLE>
just did not but 2 months ago. my shift linkage is just screwy.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:07 PM

I had zero problems in my 97 EX 2.2 5S until I changed the fluid. The factory 120K MTF worked fine. I drained it and put the factory Honda fluid in. 2 days went by and I started getting a 2nd gear grind everyone once and awhile.

Now granted, 5th gear issue’s are rarely fluid level related (unless the fluid is low enough), but I would honestly try a different tranny fluid BEFORE taking the tranny out of the car.

Go to your nearest Pennzoil dealer and pick 2 bottle's of "Syncromesh"(http://www.pennzoil.com/produc....html. This is the same stuff GM sells at the dealer for $14 bucks a quart, but it's only $8.00. Drain and fill transmission. If it works, your golden, but if it doesn't, sounds like what was already suggested by P_Adams.

It's worth a shot! Honda knows there is an issue with 5th gear on these tranny's however, so keep that in mind. I used to have a copy of the TSB Honda sent dealers about it. I'll check around to see if I can scan a post it here. Good luck!

Justin