Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

alternator bolt broke off in engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator bolt broke off in engine

My girlfriend has a problem. The bolt that holds the alternator to the metal piece on the top of the alternator snapped. This did not seem to be a big problem. Got the replacement bolt from the auto store. The problem occured when I tried to put the new bolt back in. When it snapped it looks like the alternator was pulled down by the belt further tightening the only remaing bolt holding the alternator on (the big bolt on the bottom). This added stress caused the big bolt to break off. Half the bolt is broken inside the engine block(?) in a very inconvient place (one of the wheels the belt drives is infront of the hole the bolt is broken inside of. I imagine it is in there extremely tight. How would one go about getting it out? What would a mechanic do? I don't see how it could be drilled out, being in such a crowded place, with out disassembling most of the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternator bolt broke off in engine (fslim)

there is two option but you have to be very careful:
1. weld another end of a bolt to it and try to take it out that way.
2. there is a kit at the auto part store you drill a hole into the screw and the harder you turn it gets tight and turns the bolt out. forgot what it is called hope someone on the board rememeber.

good luck
Old 10-05-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: alternator bolt broke off in engine (fslim)

you will have to tap the screw and back off the screw
Old 10-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Working

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: alternator bolt broke off in engine (drktorn)

You will need to drill into the bolt and use an extractor which you can get at any lowes.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget to take off the engine mount so you can jack the engine up, giving you more access to that bolt.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: (Beach Accord)

Removing the motor mount would deffinetly help and then use a floor jack to raise the motor a little bit. If it was the shop that i'm in we would first try welding some kind of stud onto the broken part of the bolt and turning it that way. If that didn't work we would probably drill it out. I THINK i heard somewhere something about a 90 degree angle drill bit? anyone ever heard of these?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Trial User

Default Re: alternator bolt broke off in engine

Originally Posted by fslim
My girlfriend has a problem. The bolt that holds the alternator to the metal piece on the top of the alternator snapped. This did not seem to be a big problem. Got the replacement bolt from the auto store. The problem occured when I tried to put the new bolt back in. When it snapped it looks like the alternator was pulled down by the belt further tightening the only remaing bolt holding the alternator on (the big bolt on the bottom). This added stress caused the big bolt to break off. Half the bolt is broken inside the engine block(?) in a very inconvient place (one of the wheels the belt drives is infront of the hole the bolt is broken inside of. I imagine it is in there extremely tight. How would one go about getting it out? What would a mechanic do? I don't see how it could be drilled out, being in such a crowded place, with out disassembling most of the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Trial User

Which auto parts store did you get Bolt
Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is like a thread from 10 years ago.....and no one ever gave a year or engine.

Anyway, any "good" parts store will have grade 8 bolts in a wide rage of sizes. If you have the pieces of the one that broke, take it in and get them to match the size, pitch and length.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Heather Turner
Would your car happen to be a 98-02 Accord V6? The alternator mounting bolt or bracket can break if the mounting bolt was cross-threaded or not torqued to spec. when the alternator was installed from some work done previously on the car. Honda issued info. regarding the improper install of the alternator mounting bolt before on the 98-02 Accord V6.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need to extract the old bolt you need to buy an extractor kit from any auto parts store or hardware store. Then drill a hole that is the size of the extractor from the kit you will be using. You drill a hole, then using a hammer you tap in the extractor, then turn the extractor out, and since the extractor is lefty tighty it will eventually pull the old bolt out.

There are how-to's on youtube for how to do this.