Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Fuel economy issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel economy issues

Hi there! I've spent over an hour going through the FAQ's and I've learned quite a bit already, but haven't found the answer or help I need yet.

I recently purchased a 2000 Honda Accord EX 2.3 VTEC w/AT and 83k on the odometer. I believe I'm having a fuel economy problem. I know how to drive to get good mpg (not pushing the car over 70, tight tires, etc) and I can't seem get what I expected out of this car. I drive all highway miles usually between 60 and 70 mph. I have checked the car three times and got 26.5, 25.5 and 26 mpg. I would have excepted 28 mpg during the winter months and hoped for 30 come summer, but 25 and 26 seems low?

The car rolls good (read little rolling resistance) and run excellent! Just no hick ups from the car. Pulled the plugs to get a reading on them and they were all clean, fairly white, arching in the middle of the ground strap and right on .040" gap. Couldn't see any problems so I cleaned them some and torqued them back in. Air filter is clean. My temp gauge always seems to read just about 1/3 of the way in the band towards the cold side. It might be just a touch over 1/3 of the way, but not close to the middle. My thoughts are the engine isn't quite getting to it's optimal temps to go to "closed loop" operation (don't know if that right term for that or not)? I bought a new 180 degree t-stat and o'ring to stick in there. Am I on the right track? I just don't know. Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuel economy issues (Clone1)

26mpg is ok IMO. When did you replace the spark plug? How are the wires? Put 1/3 of the can of seafoam in your gas tank and see if that helps.(1oz per gallon) Usually it's a dirty fuel injector.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Fuel economy issues (The-Kid)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just bought the car like 2.5 weeks ago and assume those are the original plugs at 83k. Honda recommends a change at 105k. I could see NOTHING wrong with the plugs or wires. Usually you will have a slight miss under load and low rpm if there is a wire issue. I had the plugs out at 10pm on the weeknight so I couldn't go get new ones right then anyhow. So yeah, I threw the old one's back in Not to be a tightass, but I would like to figure out the real problem (if there is one) instead of just throwing parts at it. Err.. wait.. that's what I'm thinking about doing with the t-stat! haha

Oh and I have been running FI cleaner in it this tank... not sure what it is... whatever was on my shelf in the shop.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would change my spark plugs at 50K. It is true that the spark plugs doesn't need to be change, but hey you're trying to get the highest MPG. Forget about the wires. 83k for a wire is fine. I would just do spark plugs and seafoam. Seafoam is very concentrated and beats all those "fuel injector cleaner" Oh yea, cleaning the TB kinda helped for me.

I believe the original ones were NGK brand.

BTW I feel you about throwing parts at it.

But 26mpg is pretty good.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Yep, these were the same NGK plugs the book recommended. I will go get new ones. I plan on replacing with the same NGK.... good idea? Will Advanced Auto Parts have the seafoam? I'm not familiar with it.

I'll look at cleaning the TB when it warms up. Coooold here in KS right now!

Where should my temp gauge be sitting when fully warmed up? Mine never hits or even gets close to the exact middle.

Thanks Kid!

Modified by Clone1 at 1:02 PM 12/16/2007
Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should never hit the middle range. Mine stays in the lower half. Aprrox 2/3 the way up of the 1/2 way mark.

NGK's are great. Bosch sucks on some cars. Denso is great too. Gap it to specs and you'll be good to go. I'm pretty sure Advance has it. It's in an aluminum can. Red and White. With a white cap. http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm like that.

I would use it when the gas tank is low.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:32 PM

if it had a problem from going to open loop to closed loop it would throw a check engine light, since you said it was running fine then its just a matter of how **** you want to get on your vehicle maintenance. you could go with the recommended replacement intervals on your replaceable parts like the filters, plugs, wires, etc... or you could go with a earlier replacement interval like The-Kid recommended, but its a matter of your wallet + parts cost +labor cost - saved fuel mileage = ? so if replacing the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition cap, and ignition rotor as well as cleaning the fuel injectors, using the correct oil viscosity, buying high rolling resistant tires, and checking the tire pressure every weekend is going to save you money id go for it. if not then 26 m.p.g is pretty good actually and id stick with the recommended replacement intervals. as for my own personal vehicle i go with a shortened replacement interval of 1/2. and yes im **** about my car
Old 12-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Fuel economy issues (next_evolution)

OK guys, just wanted to come back and thank you all! I went ahead and threw some platinum NGKs in and ran the entire tank of FI cleaner through the tank. Then I checked again. Even with some serious road rage this morning (pissed off.. to the wood!) I managed to get 29mpg on this tank! That is more on par IMO. And I do expect it to be better come spring. Thanks for the help.... don't know why I was so stubborn to put some plugs in??? Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:33 PM

i'm lucky to get 20 mpg. i don't know what to do. you can't change the fuel filter in these cars. i ust did the plugs and wires. 28, that is unbelievable. good job
Old 12-21-2007, 06:56 PM

Honestly for a 2000 Accord that's pretty good. The 6th gens are a little heavier than the older Accords so obviously the gas mileage is gonna be a bit lower. My 94 EX gets 32 MPG with the stock 15's on it, which IMO is pretty amazing for a 2.2 automatic.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try changing the car over to synthetic oil in the engine/trany. Change your coolant inflate your tires and you should see a boost in mpg