Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

I'm having a problem with my Accord, it's leaking oil. I narrowed it down to one spot. It's above the oil filter, and below the oil pressure sensor. I can't exactly see it to well, when the RPMs are higher, you can see the oil bubble out of this square thing above the oil filter.

It's hard to explain, i tried taking a picture of it, but it's nearly impossible to get a picture of it.

If anyone has a picture of the back of a F22A engine, post it up, and i'll highlight it in photoshop.

Thanks again guys.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil leak

I found a picture of it, here is the best i got. It's circled in red.

It's the little circular thing, is there a way to replace that? Or tighten it?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like some sort of allen drive, freeze plug/access plug. If it does have an allen drive slot, you could try tightening it but careful not to over tighten, check to see if it's loose first. I would take it out and use an oil resistant sealant of some sort. If you do use that sealant, make sure you coat it good around where it seals and on the threads but don't use too much and make sure it doesn't get inside the motor; it could clog that filter and passages.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AccordVT
Looks like some sort of allen drive, freeze plug/access plug. If it does have an allen drive slot, you could try tightening it but careful not to over tighten, check to see if it's loose first. I would take it out and use an oil resistant sealant of some sort. If you do use that sealant, make sure you coat it good around where it seals and on the threads but don't use too much and make sure it doesn't get inside the motor; it could clog that filter and passages.
So there is a way that it can loosen and leak oil? I will check it out, anyone else have an idea what it could be, and if it could even get loose?

Thanks again in advanced.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know the name of this plug? Is it a plug? Anyone have any idea what is it? If so, does it have threads so i can take it out? Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone? :[
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you better take a second look at the oil sensor. If the leak is from the sensor (very common problem) the rubber boot can leak on the part circled on picture. Pull off the rubber boot, if the inside is covered in oil the sensor is leaking. I had same problem.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dafang
I think you better take a second look at the oil sensor. If the leak is from the sensor (very common problem) the rubber boot can leak on the part circled on picture. Pull off the rubber boot, if the inside is covered in oil the sensor is leaking. I had same problem.
I agree. I have never seen that plug leak...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try that but i seen bubbly oil to come out or on that plug. So it is a plug that can leak and be tightened?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If oil sensor plug is leaking it has to be replaced. It is less than $10 at autozone, It is easy to unscrew once oil filter is removed, and you find the right size wench.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If oil sensor plug is leaking it has to be replaced. It is less than $10 at autozone, It is easy to unscrew once oil filter is removed, and you find the right size wench.
Oh, i meant that little circular thing that is in the picture. Is that something that can be tightened?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like the 'Engine Oil Pressure Switch' (that's what the service manual calls it for 94-97 Accord). Mine had a bad leak a few years back, got it replaced at the dealer for like $40 installed then everything was good. I think they called it an 'oil pressure sending unit'. Service manual says to 'use proper liquid sealant' on the threads, which I'm assuming is Hondabond or something equivalent, and torque to 13 ft-lbs.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DielsAlder
Looks like the 'Engine Oil Pressure Switch' (that's what the service manual calls it for 94-97 Accord). Mine had a bad leak a few years back, got it replaced at the dealer for like $40 installed then everything was good. I think they called it an 'oil pressure sending unit'. Service manual says to 'use proper liquid sealant' on the threads, which I'm assuming is Hondabond or something equivalent, and torque to 13 ft-lbs.
Are you talking about the Oil switch with the rubber boot on it? or the the little circular thing that is circled in red on the picture?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh. Sorry dude. I was looking at the Oil Pressure Switch just above the coolant pipe (just slightly above your red circle). I immediately figured that this was the problem because of the leak I had. As far as the circular thing, I did a quick check in my service manual (F22B)and I couldn't find anything that relates to that.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Trial User

Hi !

I'm new here and found you guys searching for a solution to an oil leak on my wife's 91 accord. 378K miles, for the last 4 years we have had an oil leak at the threaded casting plug in the picture at the top of this post. I have taken it apart, intake manifold off, bitch pipe off, and replaced the plug, washer, different sealants, including wrapping the plug in teflon tape. I have verified that that is the source of the leak, and am going to try fixing it again this summer too. I am wondering is hondaBond a better sealant than silicone based gasket sealers, and shelack head gasket sealers? I have tried new plugs, and washers. Last year I made a gasket myself out of house flashing sanwiched in gasket paper. It lasted 3 months, it was about as good as teflon tape. But silicone gasket sealer, and head gasket shalack only last about 30 days then leak again. This plug is under pressure from the oil pump, so I think that is part of the problem. Its a steel plug into the aluminum block so I have not impact wrenched it down, just socket and hit with a hammer once or twice. This year I'm pretty sure I'm going to use hondaBond unless you guys have better ideas.

Thank you all! have a great day !

Greg.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Trial User

Hey guys-just joined & I wanted to ask crexsi or 89prelude55 if they had any luck resolving their oil leak issue,I have a 93 accord leaking oil from the same area (CASTING PLUG?).
Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys should take it to a honda dealer and have them fix it and see how they do it. There's gotta be a way. They've gotta know how.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Trial User

I double checked the oil sensor-pulled the boot away & used my lighted mirror-sure enuff that was it, great site btw.