Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

First Modification to my car will be...dun dun... auto to manual conversion, but i did a search and

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Modification to my car will be...dun dun... auto to manual conversion, but i did a search and

As i mentioned in my long *** topic title, no one flame for not searching, because i did(almost jack **** for accords). Anways, in my belief, i dont want to add to much modding to my car, until after i swap my engine, but the first thing i do want to do, is convert from an auto to a h22 5 speed trannsy. From different searches, and people(nick) that it can run from 500 to 1500. I have a 4th gen, 93 ex. Im hoping not to go above the 700 dollar range, I was told that a good idea would be to hit up some junkyards, find a h22 transy, and all the extra stuff i kneed, now i came across a list during my search of stuff i will need:
Manual Transmission
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Manual ECU
Manual Transmission Mount
Manual Pedal Cluster
Shift Linkage

What else do I kneed, like the small stuff, and what stuff should I get while im doing this stuff, what kind of shifter, like the small stuff or big stuff...?

I have a link to a civic website that did the conversion, but it doesnt explain to much and im sure civics are different in some ways to accords. Also, i really dont know what alot of these things look like, when i goto the junkyard, what do i look for? Does anyone have a website that has a bunch of pictures or something?

Thanks for all the help guys, if it wasnt for you guys, i wouldnt be achieving a higher mentallity of going faster.(manually)

-Jon (Ideal)
Old 08-05-2002, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: First Modification to my car will be...dun dun... auto to manual conversion, but i did a search

first...

see the site in my sig...we put together an auto-manual how to

second...under $700 with a H22 tranny? in your dreams, those trannies go for around 500-700 by themselves

third...i would suggest doing it while the engine is out, it would be so much easier

thats about all i have to say
Old 08-05-2002, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Modification to my car will be...dun dun... auto to manual conversion, but i did a search

damn it, a dream is a dream!

Owell, im still gonna do it, maybe under 800? hehe, if i get lucky?
edit: damn man, excellent info on that website, major congrats, i bet your the only person that has made a website with that good of detail. How much did this cost you to do?
-ideal

[Modified by Ideal, 1:48 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i came in at under $1000 for sure...i forget exactly...800-900...that was with the H23 tranny...i recommend it over the h22 tranny...the gear ratios are majorly different and it goes for half of what the H22 tranny does.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what exactly are gear ratios? would a h23 bolt on to a h22 once i do the swap?

So is a h23 just in general a better tranny?

thanks

-Ideal
Old 08-05-2002, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://prelude.vtec.net/gen4/specs/g4.html --gear ratios

the H22 will be better on the H22 engine...not by much, i certainly wouldn't pay the price difference for it tho...

yes, the h23 tranny will bolt to the H22

Old 08-05-2002, 01:01 AM

my h22 swap is going down the hole mayng....full cost is gonna be around 2700, and im really in a stuck deciding turbo or h22. haha on top of that Fmax or DRag, or on top of that all motor h22, or going boost....sigh* anyways, i had a hook up on the jdm engine, but the tranny is what made me not purchase it....2 more months....grrr, oh yeah you should get a new clutch (imo) while you swap tranny's also. good luck
Old 08-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the positives of the H23 tranny would be less rev's on the highway and a higher top speed...with the H22 tranny, your F22 will be crying at highway speeds
Old 08-05-2002, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about once the h22 tranny is on the h22 swap?
From what your telling me, i might just go h23tranny, where did you get all your parts from, im guessing alot from the dealer. but like the tranny and some of the other stuff?

-jon
Old 08-05-2002, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tranny-junk yard-$350
most swap parts came from a guy that had them but sold his car so they were pretty cheap-$200
new clutch/pp...$100
odds n ends from dealer $100
ecu-$150

roughly...it adds up fast

the h22 tranny is gonna rev high on the highway no matter what engine its attached to. its a good match, but gears 1-4 on the two trannies aren't different enough to cause any trouble
Old 08-05-2002, 01:28 AM

if you're swapping a new motor, and changing the clutch why go with a oem clutch, get a extreme pressure plate clutch. those things are so fun..but you're looking at $450 next to 100.....

btw since we're on this topic....will usdm h22a performance parts bolt onto jdm motor? my friend at the link below says he can get me a jdm engine for cheaper than a usdm, and piecing everything together.

for aminute there, i wanted to boost the f22, but then i remembered, fmic will scare people away, and attract the thieves. i think all motor will suit me best.
i know turbo will be faster, but who heard of a turbo motor lasting and performing the same after 3 years.

[Modified by accordonc2s, 10:33 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're swapping a new motor, and changing the clutch why go with a oem clutch
..but you're looking at $450 next to 100.....
my car cost $500...i wasn't about to spend the same amount on a clutch...lol

i know i will have to in the future...but it wasn't needed and i couldn't afford it then so that is why...
Old 08-05-2002, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i go to the junkyard, how do i check to see if the tranny has any damage, and how can i know what car i should be aiming at for the tranny?

Damn i hate to say this, but do you know any pics, of a h23 tranny, so that i can see what i looks like?

-ideal
Old 08-05-2002, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all f/h series trannies will look the same from the outside...

an H23 tranny will come out of a 92-96 prelude SI...which there was a pretty good amount made...tranny is pretty easy to find...you can use most of the parts off this car also...everything besides the ecu/axle
Old 08-05-2002, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, more embassarsment for a newbie, i dont know what a tranny looks like, damn, see i was trying to go for a more secretive answer, but noooo...

hehe
edit: What tools am i gonna need when i head out to the junkyard? Not just for the transmission but the other stuff aswell? Thanks
-ideal

[Modified by Ideal, 3:12 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How does the H23 tranny do on an H22? You were sayin that 1-4 gears were very similar.Is the h23 5th just higher? Are there any strength/weakness differences or is just a matter of RPMs @ speeds?
Old 08-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody with clues on what kind of tools im gonna need to pry the sucker off a junkyard prelude?

-ideal
Old 08-05-2002, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=244856
Old 08-05-2002, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm Sockets and Wrenches
Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers
1/2" Impact Gun
3/8" Impact Gun
Extentions
Universal Joints for the Extensions
Transmission Jack
Lift
Jack
Blocks of wood
Side Cutters
PRY BARS!!!
Would those tools be enough for the mounts and the other stuff to, not just the transs?

-Ideal

[Modified by Ideal, 11:37 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone post a pic of a h23 transmision?
Old 08-05-2002, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?

Bump
Old 08-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone post a pic of a h23 transmision?
It looks the same as any other accord/prelude tranny. It is the #s that matter. On the transmission it will have a barcode with some #s underneath it. The #s for an H23a1 tranny will be M2S4-5 or M2S4-4 depending on the year.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:55 PM
New User

4th gen manaul; swap information all here:

http://www.extremeredline.net/accord/automanual.html
Old 08-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4th gen manaul; swap information all here:

http://www.extremeredline.net/accord/automanual.html
lol, yes, that would be my page...as i referred to earlier
Old 08-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, ive never a seen a tranny before, thats what im getting at, i plan to go to the junkyard soon, but i have no clue as to what it looks like, and what the other parts i need to get from there look like? any clues?

-Jon

Quick Reply: First Modification to my car will be...dun dun... auto to manual conversion, but i did a search and