Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

First Car, 98 Honda EX. Blue smoke, Fouling plug?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 First Car, 98 Honda EX. Blue smoke, Fouling plug?

I bought my 98 Honda Accord in 2010 with 61k original miles (apparently was apart of a lawsuit or something of the sorts, which made it to where it was stored for several years.)*

Immediately, I replaced the oil, and all fluids, got new tires and brakes. Unfortunately, I noticed that it was guzzling oil. I put a piece of cardboard under my car, and the next day noticed an oil spot (more near the drivers right portion of under the car.)*

At around 67k I was accelerating onto the freeway, and felt something to the effect of like a sudden clog, somewhere. I got home, and a few hours later tried driving it the the store, it stalled out at low rpm with a chugging like feeling in the wheel.*

I had the spark plugs replaced, oil checked and refilled. Checked the oil drain cap too..

Worked fine for another 1k. On a road trip (I regularly stopped to check/fill oil if need be), the dashboard check engine light started flashing, then stayed on without the flashing. Checked oil/fine. Was driving home with the light still on when the car started wanting to die at low rpms (with great vibration feeling). Stopped and had codes pulled, showed that the 4th cylinder was misfiring. Car started to blow moderate amounts of blue smoke out the tailpipe.

Hobbled it home and back to the mechanic. He replaced the spark plug that was fouled. Car did not die after that, and he proceeded to rev the engine, which A LOT of blue smoke came out the tailpipe. Checked the spark plug again, again already it was fouled. He said the compression test was good, and something to the effect of too much oil being dumped onto this cylinder (don't quote me, I definitely could be mistaken.) I got the car home and it's been sitting as a big lawn ornament.*

This was my first car, and I knew I wanted to go with Honda/Toyota because of the normal life of these cars, and at 61k, it was worth it. As a new college student, I needed a car, but now it's just a money pit.*

I'm not very mechanically tech-savvy, but would like to know any ideas of what could be the culprit, so that hopefully I won't be getting ripped off by a mechanic. Any help, would be so greatly appreciated...

Engine Capacity 2.3 litre2254 cc (137.548 cu in) SOHC 4 valves per cylinder 16 valves in total

Kate